Bunch of random pics of cutters

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm somewhere very very close to the grind an old timer showed me one afternoon. Pretty sturdy cutting angles and the side plate with enough angle to provide feeding action with minimal pressure, yet no grab. Works well in everything from coast to coast. I will point out that the guy I learn the grind from cleans gullets twice. & that's it. Typically when the chain won't edge into a new kerf.
I run 75ck & 75cj, but the east coast no have e. This is some kind of round filed .050 3 letter job.
20230218_052914.jpg20230218_053001.jpg20230218_053647.jpg20230218_052949.jpg

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this is an incorrect way to do it
Looks fine to me. I don't go in as deep on the side plate, but if you can get in there without getting into the strap, why not.. I ran a partner's grinder for a few months once with a very similar angle on the side. The 90⁰ one. In oak it would dull quicker than my setup. Wide kerf width chips in soft wood. Mine throws top plate width chips but I'm not at the uniformity of shaving size that my friend had going on. Probably need a half a⁰ out of the side plate or something...

Last edited:

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the funny thing about the 90 is that its not really a 90 its 3° on the grinder and my chains self feed really well my inside angles are pretty blunt. i learned them from an old loggers set up that learned them from an old logger that hand filed everything back when simingtons werent adjustable.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i am by no means advocating them i just like smooth and reliable cut in all wood. if i want to make a chain faster there are several adjustment that will do that but what those chains do is stay sharp for a long time and will cut hard wood without any pressure and cut softwood a little faster

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this a chain i have sharpened for a neigbor several times and have told him each time he needs to file down the rakersView attachment 372789View attachment 372790
I know nothing about Square filing, so I'm curious. On a round chain, that would be considered sloped back (significantly) and likely to cut little, if at all.

How does that profile work with square?

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks fine to me. I don't go in as deep on the side plate, but if you can get in there without getting into the strap, why not.. I ran a partner's grinder for a few months once with a very similar angle on the side. The 90⁰ one. In oak it would dull quicker than my setup. Wide kerf width chips in soft wood. Mine throws top plate width chips but I'm not at the uniformity of shaving size that my friend had going on. Probably need a half a⁰ out of the side plate or something...
IME, cutting into the straps a little won't hurt the chain. Sure, it opens it up to weakness, but I've only had one chain break (new with only one prior sharpening) and I end up lightly or more into the strap on almost all my chains. Same for my crewboss, who sometimes gets in there deep.

I actually like to use the strap and rivet-humps as a gauge, just a little glint. I've seen tons of chains where the sharpener is leaving behind usable metal as they sharpen. That seems worse as the teeth have to make more passes to do the same job.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if the gullet was cleaned out all the way to the cutter it would look more like it should. i usually just grind the gullet off with the same grinder by carefully holding it up to the wheel fith my fingers its pretty sketchy but it works. that picture is kind of an illusion

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@HumBurner round into the straps? Pics? Curious.
I'll try to get some for you. Might be a few days as I'm off-grid where I just moved to.

Edit: keep in mind, I also don't set up my granberg like the instructions show to, but have the metal stopper against the depth gauge of the tooth behind the cutter being filed. This changes angle of approach and length of stroke.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
also that is about as far back i can grind into the cutter before i have to make an adjustment to the grinder to get the inside angles back to the right degree and still cut a little more forward lean would help but they still cut decent. what most dont consider is how much the cutter rocks back while its cutting. the pictures of the angle where is shows that the lean is at 90° is how they come from the factory. the tooth in the picture is after i had ground thag chain just once. i discovered it with a new chain that i was physically measuring with a machinist protractor. so i checked a ground chain with the digital angle app on my phone and found out that it was the same

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i was grinding chain yesterday and messing with the light on the grinder and it went out. so i found a head lamp but alas. there isnt any power to the outlet. there arent any popped breakers which i turned them all off and back on nothing. none of my garage outlets work now. i took the first plug out and it all looks good there. now i have to move a bunck of crap in my garage to get to the rest of the plugs. i checked there is power to the out side of all the breakers too. nothing is ever simple

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
also that is about as far back i can grind into the cutter before i have to make an adjustment to the grinder to get the inside angles back to the right degree and still cut a little more forward lean would help but they still cut decent. what most dont consider is how much the cutter rocks back while its cutting. the pictures of the angle where is shows that the lean is at 90° is how they come from the factory. the tooth in the picture is after i had ground thag chain just once. i discovered it with a new chain that i was physically measuring with a machinist protractor. so i checked a ground chain with the digital angle app on my phone and found out that it was the same
Which grinder?

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running a tighter chain. helps keep the cutters at a more proper cutting angle , rather than folding back some into the cut .

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running a tighter chain. helps keep the cutters at a more proper cutting angle , rather than folding back some into the cut .
I've been accused of my chain being on the tight side.

Seen too many chain-tosses on little twigs to feel comfortable running a looser or obviously loose chain unless all I'm doing is bucking rounds.