Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why did it jump the bar rail in the first place?
Too lose, or snagged a branch?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why did it jump the bar rail in the first place?
Too lose, or snagged a branch?
I was boring a large red oak that leaned over 70° into some pines over a power line.
It just grabbed the tip doing a bypass cut and blew the chain.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw something far worse happen to a brand new 28" chain, it took a few repair links but I ended up with a nice, almost new 24" chain instead.

Its a 28, I'll just shorten it for a 24"
Shortening is a good option. If you run a lot of identical chains (pitch, gauge, type), it sometimes makes sense to designate a damaged one as a ‘donor chain’. Stuff happens.

Philbert

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shortening is a good option. If you run a lot of identical chains (pitch, gauge, type), it sometimes makes sense to designate a damaged one as a ‘donor chain’. Stuff happens.

Philbert
At this point I feel like what I dont have is a better question! Lol

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks exactly like the 3 teeth I filed with a bahco double bevel file. The side plate just seems super short, said fork it and made it a big C….
That shelf being way up high by the point is a product of necessity. It’s from thinning the wheel in order to keep it out of the tie straps. It doesn’t look like all the pretty pictures we see of what has become known as a proper square cutter, but they sure last a lot longer

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks exactly like the 3 teeth I filed with a bahco double bevel file. The side plate just seems super short, said fork it and made it a big C….
Have to remember that the cutter bites down into the wood only as far at the raker will allow it to, so even if you only had a side plate 0.050 inch tall, it would still cut like it should

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have to remember that the cutter bites down into the wood only as far at the raker will allow it to, so even if you only had a side plate 0.050 inch tall, it would still cut like it should
That's right. And all but the top .050 or so can be chamfered on the outer edge to help cutting performance by reducing drag in the cut.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yours are just about the only ones I’ve seen that looked close to mine, I was like how is everyone else getting the side plat that big?

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's right. And all but the top .050 or so can be chamfered on the outer edge to help cutting performance by reducing drag in the cut.
That’s the thought behind my relief on the inside of the side plate to the outer edge of the raker. The saw just pulls itself through the wood noodling… Although I’ll tell you noodling raker height is much different than cross cut raker height….Chips look like rapid feed CNC large diameter drill shavings and do not clog up behind the clutch cover…77CFB036-6F60-40A7-871E-8F64C4DF1495.jpeg

BillT85

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello Everyone. I tried my hand at using a Granberg jig to try square filing with a Pferd 17081 similar to how George Lawrence shows on his treefalling.com website. This is the first time that I have tried square filing and I think most of the angles turned out well. I did my best to clean out the gullet with a Stihl 13/64" round file. The only thing I noticed that I may not have gotten right is the top plate angle seems much shallower than 25-30 degrees. Does square chain normally have a shallower top plate angle or did I make a mistake with the file geometry? Thanks in advance for any feedback and recommendations.

image0.jpegIMG_4239.jpgIMG_4240.jpgIMG_4241.jpgIMG_4242.jpg

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s the thought behind my relief on the inside of the side plate to the outer edge of the raker. The saw just pulls itself through the wood noodling… Although I’ll tell you noodling raker height is much different than cross cut raker height….Chips look like rapid feed CNC large diameter drill shavings and do not clog up behind the clutch cover…
Do you have pictures of your chain?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’ve got the right idea. Usually you square file from the top down so you’re looking at the corner. In your case, you’ll need some forward lean to get the cutter to bite. Right now, the bottom of your vertical side plate hits the wood before the working corner. You’ll need to back off your tooth stop to get it.

Top angle means the least

BillT85

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’ve got the right idea. Usually you square file from the top down so you’re looking at the corner. In your case, you’ll need some forward lean to get the cutter to bite. Right now, the bottom of your vertical side plate hits the wood before the working corner. You’ll need to back off your tooth stop to get it.

Top angle means the least
Thanks for your recommendation huskihl...I'll try rolling the file forward in the jig to get more forward lean on the side plate.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for your recommendation huskihl...I'll try rolling the file forward in the jig to get more forward lean on the side plate.
Here’s some more chaff you can sort through 👍