Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id check the piston for wear. If the piston is worn I'd replace it with a new meteor piston with caber rings. If the piston looks ok I'd just replace the rings with a new set of cabers. While I had the jug off I'd run some scotch brite up and down in it a few times just to buff up the bore and help remove any glazing that might be there. Nice find btw. The saw looks great

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id check the piston for wear. If the piston is worn I'd replace it with a new meteor piston with caber rings. If the piston looks ok I'd just replace the rings with a new set of cabers. While I had the jug off I'd run some scotch brite up and down in it a few times just to buff up the bore and help remove any glazing that might be there. Nice find btw. The saw looks great
You can get an OEM piston kit cheaper than Meteor these days.

I wouldn't run scitchbrite "up and down".
I use a scotchbrite ball and attach it to a cordless drill.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can get an OEM piston kit cheaper than Meteor these days.

I wouldn't run scitchbrite "up and down".
I use a scotchbrite ball and attach it to a cordless drill.
I didn't know oem was now cheaper. The meteor piston and rings I bought for my hybrid was $45US plus shipping.(eBay buy. Came from Greece)

Putting the scotch brite pad or ball in a cordless drill was what I meant. Kinda like you were honing the jug. Guess I should of worded it differently. Oops. My bad:(. I really have to start and reread my posts before I hit the post reply button.:eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are looking for an air leak a common spot is on the clutch side, there's a bushing that rides on the crankshaft and it will leak between the 2. Kind of an odd seal, bushing, crank setup on these.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Meteor $38.50 is still cheaper than OEM $53.10 from me, but the gap is much closer than it used to be, and if you are worried about the piston pin gap in the crown on the Meteor then the OEM is worth the peace of mind for a few dollars more.
Of course I am out of stock on both :)

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldnt run a 10mm Meteor piston until the manufacturing issue has been resolved. Although nobody has claimed failure due to the issue according to Antonio @ Meteor.
The Meteor was heavier than the OEM as well. I don't have actual weights, but it is noticeable in hand.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is now apart and I found the problems.

Cheap Chinese piston and rings in the original Stihl jug (which has 50 ZN 18 W6 MAHLE on it)
Saw has been stripped and had new bearings put in it, one is rough so it has been bashed on
The new crank seals look to have been installed with a hammer and screwdriver and were bent and damaged.
old case gasket re-used
old cylinder gasket re-used and clamped down dirty

I will make it right again!
Are the Meteor 12mm pistons OK?

I am going to get a price on an OEM piston now..... should be a laugh.
I am tipping $300+ for a full kit

Adirondackstihl

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is now apart and I found the problems.

Cheap Chinese piston and rings in the original Stihl jug (which has 50 ZN 18 W6 MAHLE on it)
Saw has been stripped and had new bearings put in it, one is rough so it has been bashed on
The new crank seals look to have been installed with a hammer and screwdriver and were bent and damaged.
old case gasket re-used
old cylinder gasket re-used and clamped down dirty

I will make it right again!
Are the Meteor 12mm pistons OK?

I am going to get a price on an OEM piston now..... should be a laugh.
I am tipping $300+ for a full kit

$45-ish for a piston kit

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's got an OEM 12mm crank in it

I just asked old mate at the Stihl shop for a price on a piston
About $250 for the piston only
A case gasket was $25 and I told him he could keep that too

I will cut one myself before I pay $25 for a stamped piece of 50c gasket sheet

skip sail

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
yep,welcome to the land down under. The pricing on Stihl stuff is ridiculous
an arborist mate saves money when buying 3 or 4 new saws by flying to Germany to buy em there
I do have a piston and jug for a 12mm 044,brand new,chinese made that i put on ebay
If nobody buys it, you can have it to get your 044 running again if you want,I probably wont use it.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A piston for my 066 is $282, the rings are $51 for a pair, add in wrist pin, clips and a bearing and your over $400

I told the Stihl shop fella that they are only $50 in America and he said "I know, the pricing here is rediculous"

Thanks for the offer on the P&C but I will pass.
The OEM jug is in great condition and I will use a 12mm meteor piston kit

I have had to fill some nasty damage to the tank handle screw holes that had been beyond flogged out. Felled them with JB weld and will still and tap them.

It's is now all clean and prepped, new bearings on the crank, and will order all the bits I need from HL Supply tonight.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$550 is a good price in USA for one in similar shape. $550 is an outstanding price in AUS for that saw. From what members from AUS have said over the years about new saw prices..... Id snatch it in a hurry if it all checks out. Ive had a slew of Stihls and the only ones I have regretted cutting loose were the 044. It could easily be argued that they are the greatest saw across the board that Stihl has ever made.
you are a very bad influence!! look what happened during the week.. postman was pissed off.. 22kg box!! one was $500 the other $640. and 13 chains.!

ones a 10mm the other a 12mm both blowing around the 150psi mark. 10mm is the steel labelled one. both run well.!

problem is now which one to keep!!. already have 3 70cc saws.

Last edited:

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like the Piston is a Hyway running the original OEM rings
The rings are silver, not black like the ones that come with a Hyway.

I used one of these in my 039 when I rebuilt it an it worked well.
I dont forsee it becoming a super saw with a Meteor piston in it, so I will just run it.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would advance the timing 20/1000, and usually you don't have to cut the squish when you delete the gasket, but always check it.

Also, be sure to run a low restriction filter like an HD-2 or Max Flow. In conjunction with the dp muff cover, it will make a noticeable difference.

My Hi usually ends up about 1 & 1/16 like this, but always check for 4 stroking.

For power to wt, those 044s are just hard to beat!

Last edited: