malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
12:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
your shut off switch will either be black or red yours looks red to me
It's a red lever. Colors in the pictures suck easily seen red in real life. Looks like it matches orange on my POS phone.

3482a7cb006481d82cf51f28131644ad.jpg

3f635045cfe1b09c4880d6d4fe96c033.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never mind, I see it, it is a Red Lever saw ... GOOSSSHHHH!!! Just like mine!

Forgot to hit post for this last night! (for line above).

It is either red or black, and that sure as heck is not black!

Jchin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mr Malk315, I maybe able to help you. You have a early 044 rare model and the starter recoil has four bolts that attach it it to the case. Those four bolts are a smaller size than the regular 044 which has a larger size bolts. I have just check my 044's to verify that this is correct. If you like, you are 1 1/2 hour away from me, I can drive up to you and let you borrow the complete starter recoils. They are complete and ready to drop in your 044. I believe we can get your 044 before I leave for home. Imagine your 044 will be running tonight.....

I looked in my stihl parts shelf and I also have new stihl starter pawls and stihl Elasto Start handle and rope assembly for 044/460. I can bring them also, if you like. Let me if I can assist you. Send me a PM or post here.

Jack

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mr Malk315, I maybe able to help you. You have a early 044 rare model and the starter recoil has four bolts that attach it it to the case. Those four bolts are a smaller size than the regular 044 which has a larger size bolts. I have just check my 044's to verify that this is correct. If you like, you are 1 1/2 hour away from me, I can drive up to you and let you borrow the complete starter recoils. They are complete and ready to drop in your 044. I believe we can get your 044 before I leave for home. Imagine your 044 will be running tonight.....

I looked in my stihl parts shelf and I also have new stihl starter pawls and stihl Elasto Start handle and rope assembly for 044/460. I can bring them also, if you like. Let me if I can assist you. Send me a PM or post here.

Jack

That's what is so cool about this forum -- such great people.

I'm all set Jack -- parts are on the way from treestuff and will likely be here tomorrow.
I ordered the plastic spool with the pawls on it and a spare double retension clip just in case.
Going to put new starter rope on too while in there.

Make sure you keep an eye out for next GTG either at my place or CT at Dan's @paragonbuilder we will likely have some crazy saws from guys all over who want to get saws run on the dyno again.

Thanks for the offer!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Reason why I asked is because I noticed the plastic that attaches via the carb bolts has the same little offset as mine. I thought that maybe my plastic heated up or was molded wrong, but my 440 plastic covers looked just like yours in the top view.

Jchin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem Mr Malk315. I thought it would be good to help out a member here. I was thinking of going to Dan's CT GTG, but my brother and I race drag cars on the weekend. I really would really like to see the dyno.... When the weather gets cooler. It is brutal today with the high dew point. Good luck with the 044!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I doubt he has the smaller bolts for the recoil starter. My earlier 044 (SN 120******) has them, but not the one that looks like this saw.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe his pic shows the larger bolts (5 mm instead of 4 mm???) Don't remember.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe his pic shows the larger bolts (5 mm instead of 4 mm???) Don't remember.
All set. Just replacing the plastic spool.
Bolts are same size as top cover bolts... all use T27 torx. EDIT: They are M5 bolts -- go right in the M5 holes on the load cell we use on the dyno.

Parts will be here by Saturday so I'll be able to finally run it oak this weekend.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eric, they all use T-27 heads, but the older ones were M-4 instead of M-5. I think Jeremy may have once posted the SN for the change, but I do not remember it.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need starter pawls... I thought they were just part of the plastic spool that broke off (I had a mixture of broken spool plastic and pawls and thought the pawls were part of the spool!).
And of course stihl dealer that might stock pawls closed...

The pawls I have almost work, but the plastic studs that go through the spring clip are broken off.
I learned the spring clip can go on upside down... even when right side up there's not enough remaining stud on the pawls for the spring to bring the pawls back out so they will grab the flywheel.
I can get one pull and then that's it... dain bramage...

Root cause of the issue -- the center bolt that holds the spool on had backed out quite a bit.
I thought it was supposed to stick up some -- by the time it went back on it was keeping the cover from going all the way down. Tightened that back up.

Ordering pawls now... Look at it this way... by the time I'm done w/ starter cover the muffler from China will be here...

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found pictures of the exact setup I have that I don't see how it could ever work... but it must work so I'm hoping one of you can clue me in.
In this first picture, the pawls are out and the 2 studs go through the clip. On the pawls I have the studs are broken off so I'm getting new pawls... fine.
Is everything in the picture below installed right? It's not my picture but one from a site that sells a complete starter cover.

pawls_out.png

Now in this second picture, the pawls are retracted in completely -- and the clip is NOT having them spring back out so they will grab the flywheel.
If I were to take this starter cover w/ the pawls in like this and bolt it on the saw I have it will just spin and not grab the flywheel.
Shouldn't the clip be making the pawls want to spring back out? If so how did they get them to look like this picture w/o holding them against the spring action of the clip?

Is the clip installed in the right orientation in this picture?
I don't see how it could ever work... but apparently it does.

pawls_in_wtf.png

Here is my setup with pawls missing the stud that goes in the clip -- in the same setup as the first picture above.
If I put in on the flywheel I get one pull and pawls stay in.

IMG_20160716_144255968.jpg

An here it is w/ the pawls staying in on their own... if they never get pulled back out by something they will never engage the flywheel...
I thought just not having the studs on my setup is the problem, but you can see in the 2nd picture above even w/ a brand new setup, the pawls can just stay in... and will never grab the flywheel...
Please tell me I'm crazy and this will actually work?

IMG_20160716_144345159.jpg

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found pictures of the exact setup I have that I don't see how it could ever work... but it must work so I'm hoping one of you can clue me in.
In this first picture, the pawls are out and the 2 studs go through the clip. On the pawls I have the studs are broken off so I'm getting new pawls... fine.
Is everything in the picture below installed right? It's not my picture but one from a site that sells a complete starter cover.

I know what's wrong -- the pawls I have the part the goes into the new spool are all dinged up (from tumbling around when the old spool broke) and are very difficult to turn in there.
New pawls won't have that problem.

I can probably clean these up so they will at least work until I get new ones.

I saw a video on youtube of how the cover is supposed to work -- the pawl should come out very easily when you pull the rope... not on mine in it's current condition!

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know what's wrong -- the pawls I have the part the goes into the new spool are all dinged up (from tumbling around when the old spool broke) and are very difficult to turn in there.
New pawls won't have that problem.

I can probably clean these up so they will at least work until I get new ones.

I saw a video on youtube of how the cover is supposed to work -- the pawl should come out very easily when you pull the rope... not on mine in it's current condition!

Yup... that was it. scraped off the buggered parts on the portion of the pawl that it pivots on when inserted in the pulley and the pawls go out and back in when I pull it like they should.
I've only got a small portion of the studs that engage the clip left and can probably run the saw now until I get new pawls.

Having no idea how it's supposed to be with parts that are boogered can really screw you up.... At least now I know new pawls will work perfect.

Now I also know that the 1st picture with the pawls out they must be pulling on the rope!! Mine would just stay out from friction very difficult to turn in the holes in the start pulley... not anymore.

This also solved the issue from when I got the saw where when you stop it it would make a clanking noise -- it was from the pawls getting involved when stopping the saw.

It's going to finally be all correct. Dealer will likely stock pawls I can get 'em Monday.

Last edited: