Reaction score
Country flag
To me cleaning the gullet results:
- easier & faster touchup grinds
- easier touch up in the field with a round file
- theory of more space for the chips
- looks much prettier
- may or may not help in cutting performance
Increases available cutting surface area allowing the cutter to take a larger bite with each pass IF the depth gauge is set for it.

One could argue a larger bite somewhat reduces overall chain speed, but not that I've ever noticed. I also don't cut cookies or time with a stopwatch.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did a little test today for those always saying “get the gullet“. Not so popular here, but more so in the Facebook groups. I’ve been saying for years that the angle on the top half of the side of the cutter is what matters for most firewood size pieces (16-20” bar), and today I tried my best to prove myself wrong.

The chain I posted a few posts up^^… I ran it like it is in those photos and then came back in and ran the lower gullet area through the grinder and went back out and made more cuts adjacent to the old ones. No difference that I could tell, or at least it’s not measurable and plenty within my margin of error. I suppose a stack of 12-16” cants 4’ high might make a little difference, but we don’t cut many of those for firewood. The chain isn’t all that different from before other than it’s cleaned out down to the straps now. It’s nothing fancy. Just wanted to learn whether or not it makes enough difference to worry about on your firewood chains. If I were cutting 36” logs, I’d probably do a little extra filing for added chip clearance.

View attachment 384252View attachment 384253View attachment 384254View attachment 384255View attachment 384256
the only time i have ever noticed the gullet being in the way is in big wood with the bar buried and the gullets being really long. unless the tooth is ground way back and the corner of the gullet stick out further than the corner of the cutter i dont notice it much in small wood. on square ground chain. on round ground chain it gets filed enough to almose never notice

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the only time i have ever noticed the gullet being in the way is in big wood with the bar buried and the gullets being really long. unless the tooth is ground way back and the corner of the gullet stick out further than the corner of the cutter i dont notice it much in small wood. on square ground chain. on round ground chain it gets filed enough to almose never notice
Exactly. That was my point. Guys running a 20” bar and being told to get the gullet. The problem is, they get the gullet so much that they forget about the part that matters up top.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly. That was my point. Guys running a 20” bar and being told to get the gullet. The problem is, they get the gullet so much that they forget about the part that matters up top.
With a Granberg, you can get any height/depth you want, as well as using different sized files to fine-tune and tailor however one wants.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thats because you are a smart fella. i am glad there are people like you on here that share their knowledge freely.

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What should move chips better?
A sharp edge, or a blunt edge?
I believe the latter on account of less cutting & more pushing.
"If your chain can still open up a missed face cut, your gullets are fine."

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Better already 😉 a bit too thick a stone
Nah, stone is good at 20mm width.
It is just the idiots utilizing a grinding stone as a cutoff wheel that bothers me.
This was the grinding stone today, I had to dress it to sharpen the above drill bit.

IMG_20230720_082350.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was referring to the grain or gradations of the stone
Fine and coarse then!
Again, the white semi coarse grinding wheel is actually about perfect for alloyed steel, any finer grain and it would take too long to get any material removed.
Also, if I wanted or needed to get this same wheel finer I just need to hold a worn down wheel against it while it spins and it will plug up giving a finer grind.

I tried polishing ground/sharpened HSS drill bits, it has no positive effect!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did anyone ever try grinding their chains with a wheel dressed square?
And I am not talking "square ground"!
That is a brand new Husqvarna X-Cut C85 tooth/chain.
I will be trying this!
Less hook, but more durable cutter?! :thinking:

IMG_20230726_183113.jpg IMG_20230726_183029.jpg

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did anyone ever try grinding their chains with a wheel dressed square?
And I am not talking "square ground"!
That is a brand new Husqvarna X-Cut C85 tooth/chain.
I will be trying this!
Less hook, but more durable cutter?! :thinking:

View attachment 384883 View attachment 384884
Do you have a photo of the inner profile?

My guess is it may be a bit grabby and/or the depths will need slight adjusting to accommodate the depth it's ground in.

Pretty impressive how you kept the TPA the way you did.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have a photo of the inner profile?

My guess is it may be a bit grabby and/or the depths will need slight adjusting to accommodate the depth it's ground in.

Pretty impressive how you kept the TPA the way you did.
Pardon my stupidity, what does TPA stand for?
Thanks