Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe it’s because it can potentially bleed off too much compression and actually make it more difficult to start

+1
I bored out the outlet of a decomp for easier starting for @bradb123 562xp I built a number of years ago and he even had cold start issues at times. I put a brand new unadulterated decomp valve in its place and cured the issue. So there is credence to that theory as fact I believe.
Otherwise I can only offer folks my 5 series experience...
I also restart my 550 with using the primer and up on high idle without the decomp in the summer time when it's warm and it does the trick for me.
(You can't flood a 5 series by using the primer it just flows fuel through the carb and goes back to the tank it came from.)
I also notice the new mkII's are void of any decomp valve whatsoever...

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate the education as well. Not using the decomp makes sense but honestly, if I forget to push it in and pull the starter cord it'll stick and jerk right out of my hand. I'll keep trying different ways...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate the education as well. Not using the decomp makes sense but honestly, if I forget to push it in and pull the starter cord it'll stick and jerk right out of my hand. I'll keep trying different ways...
Try a D handle from a snowblower or a snowmobile

ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t use the decomp for hot starts on the autotune saws if you can avoid it.
Shaun 1+ on that, reminds me of the painful restart days on the MK1 and 562 before we slowly all figured it out here.

I believe we discussed it here before, the decomp overcompensated what AT is trying to to at restart, thus flooding the engine and making a restart less possible with every no start pull.

For the hot restarts, if you press the primer very slowly, you can actually feel the vapor/air rushing out of the carb.

The second best advice that I can give on the hot restarts is to use the primer as @Stump Shot mentioned, it thus far has not failed me.

One minor caveat, last push should only be half way to ensure that you have gas in the carb.

I have tried to push in the primer all the way many times after a few primes and air can get re-introduced due to the pocket of air always residing in the bulb.

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah don't do that with a 592. They designed them to be started the way i described. After the saw was started and run I could typically put it down for 10-15 minutes and not have to do anything more than pull it twice at most to start it.

Literally the best starting saw I've ever owned out of the probably 60 I've had. If it wasn't started and running from cold with 3 pulls, number 4 got her going.
The reason I use the decomp even on hot starts is I destroyed my left arm at work in 2016. Everyone on this site has different physical limitations, I have always used the decomp on hot starts due to my injury and this method works for me . I'm just trying to help @Colonel 428 with a different method of starting the saw .

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The reason I use the decomp even on hot starts is I destroyed my left arm at work in 2016. Everyone on this site has different physical limitations, I have always used the decomp on hot starts due to my injury and this method works for me . I'm just trying to help @Colonel 428 with a different method of starting the saw .
Time ur pull , after it reaches TDC

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was surprised by the compression of the 592 cold!
I've got a couple of high compression big cc saws. A "D" handle and timing the piston after tdc is critical for a start. I hate to suggest it but a stihl elasto-start handle has saved my arm a couple of times.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the amount of wood you cut, it wouldn’t take you long to figure out what works for you

ZERO

Simple Life
GoldMember
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I was hoping that Husky would have the AT version 3 figured out in these saws.
Myself, I would not be pulling a 572 or 592 without a decomp, just don't have one to play around with.

+1
I bored out the outlet of a decomp for easier starting for @bradb123 562xp I built a number of years ago and he even had cold start issues at times. I put a brand new unadulterated decomp valve in its place and cured the issue. So there is credence to that theory as fact I believe.

Steve, I believe that someone mentioned the dealers received some internal memo from the mother ship to instruct customers to not use the decomp on the MK1, and pre 2020 562 series, when complaining about the hot restarts. Both series were running the 1st gen of AT, before moving onto gen 2 in MK2 and post 2020 562 series.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was hoping that Husky would have the AT version 3 figured out in these saws.
Myself, I would not be pulling a 572 or 592 without a decomp, just don't have one to play around with.

Steve, I believe that someone mentioned the dealers received some internal memo from the mother ship to instruct customers to not use the decomp on the MK1, and pre 2020 562 series, when complaining about the hot restarts. Both series were running the 1st gen of AT, before moving onto gen 2 in MK2 and post 2020 562 series.
They are AT 3.0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305_173204_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_173204_Chrome.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 7

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks so much to everyone who responded. Certainly gives me some ideas. Hopefully it'll become as easy to restart hot as it was for Dominick when he had it. Great saw, just gotta spend some more time with it. Thanks again, Steve.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think @Crocky28 did the foam Red Beard filter , and frogzskins cutouts , maybe he can chime in on the subject.
I have modified a few top covers now. I use 25 micron mesh. I hadn't heard of the frogskin stuff. I found it help in the cut. The difference wasn't huge but you can def feel it. I'll get a pic later.

I plug the decomps on all the 5 series saws. I find the 592 is fine to start without it.