Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So ive been thinking lately about computer controlled saw carbs like the autotune and mtronic. I personally have a 576xp and a 545 thats ported that absolutely screams. Both are autotune. But i worry about if they ever go down im screwed.

So i guess my question is, how reliable are the electronics in the long run? Bc i have a jred thats a paperweight currently that i can never come out on if i pay to repair it. Am i worrying too much or inevitably will they give me s***?

You worry too much.

LOL

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So ive been thinking lately about computer controlled saw carbs like the autotune and mtronic. I personally have a 576xp and a 545 thats ported that absolutely screams. Both are autotune. But i worry about if they ever go down im screwed.

So i guess my question is, how reliable are the electronics in the long run? Bc i have a jred thats a paperweight currently that i can never come out on if i pay to repair it. Am i worrying too much or inevitably will they give me s***?

The saw is still like any other(older) saw as far as how it functions, if something happens it's a mechanical problem.
Just think of it as a benefit, like having a tiny fella in your saw constantly tuning your saw to optimal performance.
For the average Joe that can't tune a saw himself, is a wonderful thing to have. Just think of the difference when average Joe leaves the saw shop with a richly tuned standard carb saw, vs an auto tune saw on his ability to cut wood.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Massachusetts right to repair act forces auto manufacturers to release diagnostic data and repair information to the private sector, thats why you see snap on, autel, otc, Bosch making scan tools to repair every make and model car and truck. Unless things changed saws companies arent forced to divulge that info therefore you have no choice but to go to the dealer for the software. And if you have no dealers close that want to touch them.......

Find a farmer with a new JD tractor or combine with a fault code. JD dealers are just like Stihl dealers. Proprietary software so no more working on your equipment even for a minor problem. Wife's cousin farms about 1000 acres. Combine went down last year with a code. Dealer had it for 3 days for a simple problem that should not have put him down in middle of harvest time. If he could have read the code he could at least know what might be wrong. Dealer wouldn't tell him.

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Find a farmer with a new JD tractor or combine with a fault code. JD dealers are just like Stihl dealers. Proprietary software so no more working on your equipment even for a minor problem. Wife's cousin farms about 1000 acres. Combine went down last year with a code. Dealer had it for 3 days for a simple problem that should not have put him down in middle of harvest time. If he could have read the code he could at least know what might be wrong. Dealer wouldn't tell him.

That sucks. Believe me the auto industry is trying there hardest to do the same. Its actually auto part companies that are fightin pretty hard to keep things available to independent shops like i work in.

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok so who wants to repair my jonsered 2252 autotune that doesnt run LOL

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be a Stihl dealer

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Were you the original owner?

Unfortunately not, and also i bought it knowing it had issues. Thats something i wont do again. I didnt realize that a carb was 155 bucks. So if i fix it ill never be able to come out on it, but if i just use it as parts i overpaid big time.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately not, and also i bought it knowing it had issues. Thats something i wont do again. I didnt realize that a carb was 155 bucks. So if i fix it ill never be able to come out on it, but if i just use it as parts i overpaid big time.
Yeah unfortunately used saws can be a crapshoots sometimes

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If we could just get some schematics of the electronic injection systems, then some of us that have been or are electronic technicians, may be able to 'tweak' them to get a bit more power out of the systems.

If we have inputs of barometric pressure or ambient air temperature on the systems, then we may be able tweak the inputs with, say, an in-line resistor. I've done it with other computer injection systems, I don't see why it couldn't be done with these systems if the input signals are available.