High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Guys if you ran regular carb saws for years, what were your thoughts when finally got a m-tronic or autotune saw????

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always thought Autotune saws were an overengineered mistake until I got one. One less thing to worry about when cutting, no forgotten screwdriver in my back pocket to stick into my arse or truck seat.

The performance can’t be beat because they continually change tune for the load put on them.

When there is a problem it does become a giant PITA, but it’s just another learning curve. I’ve found that issues are rarely the MT system itself. It does make standard problems more difficult to diagnose because it can adjust for issues more than one would think. I’ve seen it overcome pretty sizable air leaks a few times.

I prefer the MT over the AT system. Seems to have less issues. No carb resets or “flashes”. When there is an issue, the solenoid is usually the culprit and easy to replace.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a really bad experience with 4 mark1 550xp' s our agency bought , hot,no,start . Terrible tuning ,you name it they did it! It could be that someone knowingly unloaded some stinkers on us? But either way it tainted the well.
Then I picked up a crushed MS441C and rebuilt it, man I really like that saw. It cuts like fire and works like a Swiss (German) watch. The self tuning kicks in almost immediately and it idles great.
Technology is just a word and I always think didn't McCulloch make a battery saw that started itself in the 60s? (3-10), well M-A tuning isn't that complicated, it's still a carburetor with jets that move according to saw demands , pretty simple actually.
I think injection is far better.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Technology is just a word and I always think didn't McCulloch make a battery saw that started itself in the 60s? (3-10),
Yes, in 1967 the only year for the 3-10E, I cut firewood with one into the mid 1990's until it was stolen from the back of my pickup truck. Even at that, it gave our family near 30 years of good reliable service, with the ignition and carburetor being serviced somewhere in the early to mid 1980's.

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate to pick on Husqvarna here but my cousin bought a new 562xp a couple years ago and straight gassed it with just a couple tanks of fuel through it. I was not willing to try to clean up the cylinder and just replace the piston and rings because I didn’t want any kind of liability issues and the whole rebuild kit was cheap enough. That saw seamed almost as aggravating as a ms290-390 type stihl saws getting it disassembled. I trudged on as normal learning little tricks here and there for easier assembly and disassembly. I got it all back together and performed all the supposed little tricks to reprogram the carb and it never would run right. I vac and pressure tested it to be sure all was good and it was tight. I gave it back to him and told him I was done and swore I would never buy an auto tune saw. I think it needed a new carb but haven’t inquired about it since.

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first M-Tronic saw was an early-ish Stihl MS 441. It did not do well in smoky air, and I kinda punted on it for use cutting on fires.

Otherwise, I thought it was awesome! I just started it and never touched anything but do basic maintenance. I didn’t have to carry a screwdriver, and never had to adjust for elevation.

Newer iterations of M-Tronic have done nothing but get better, and that’s awesome.

With that said… Right now I’m jonesing for a 500i with an MaxFlow and some stiffer springs and bushings, though. The FI system in it is way ahead of M-Tronic, and it outperforms it, as you might expect.

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first M-Tronic saw was an early-ish Stihl MS 441. It did not do well in smoky air, and I kinda punted on it for use cutting on fires.

Otherwise, it thought it was awesome! I just started it and never touched anything but do basic maintenance. I didn’t have to carry a screwdriver, and never had to adjust for elevation.

Newer iterations of M-Tronic have done nothing but get better, and that’s awesome.

With that said… Right now I’m jonesing for a 500i with an MaxFlow and some stiffer springs and bushings, though. The FI system in it is way ahead of M-Tronic, and it outperforms it, as you might expect.
Go buy one brother, you only live once…at this point in my life if a tool will either make money or make my life easier, I’ll probably buy it lmao!!!

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Otherwise, it thought it was awesome! I just started it and never touched anything but do basic maintenance. I didn’t have to carry a screwdriver, and never had to adjust for elevation.

The big annoyance with 500i is needing the MDG for resets.

furb

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an early 550xp that sucks to start and made me hate auto tunes. I ended up with a few 261 and 661 that I got in a junk lot and they have been great. The one 261 has a ton of hours and a broken case and tank but it’s the strongest running one of the pile.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyway was just wondering what your guys thoughts/opinions/complaints would be about them after running regular carbs for years (like I have)
My friend and I both worked selling chainsaws (Stihl and Husky) and he has run them many years longer than me, but we both settled that we wanted MS 261s. We both ended up picking up straight gassed MS 261c cheap and replaced their cylinders with Mtanlo kits. He ran a few tanks of gas through it and smoked his cylinder, mine has been running fine. He is a carb tuner and does not care for the Mtronic because there isn't anything to adjust. I like the Mtronic mostly because I am still learning how to tune carbs, but out of the eleven saws I have, the 261 is the only Mtronic I have. All of my Husky's are carb driven. I had customers that came into the store that had "run them all" and some would swear by carbs only, others Mtronic/Autotune only. We had some loggers come in and they were the same way, some would only want to run a Husky 372 while others were all over the 572. Others would run whatever you put in their hands...just as long as it didn't have the "safety chain" on it...

For the Mtronic units, if you are not happy with it, you can replace the flywheel, wiring kit and carb and turn it into a carbed unit.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My friend and I both worked selling chainsaws (Stihl and Husky) and he has run them many years longer than me, but we both settled that we wanted MS 261s. We both ended up picking up straight gassed MS 261c cheap and replaced their cylinders with Mtanlo kits. He ran a few tanks of gas through it and smoked his cylinder, mine has been running fine. He is a carb tuner and does not care for the Mtronic because there isn't anything to adjust. I like the Mtronic mostly because I am still learning how to tune carbs, but out of the eleven saws I have, the 261 is the only Mtronic I have. All of my Husky's are carb driven. I had customers that came into the store that had "run them all" and some would swear by carbs only, others Mtronic/Autotune only. We had some loggers come in and they were the same way, some would only want to run a Husky 372 while others were all over the 572. Others would run whatever you put in their hands...just as long as it didn't have the "safety chain" on it...

For the Mtronic units, if you are not happy with it, you can replace the flywheel, wiring kit and carb and turn it into a carbed unit.
Ya I mean this 261c I have has had 5-8 tall is threw it and I am really liking it….going into it with an open mindset and not trying to nit pick things and so far I like it a lot!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 261 goes perfect with the 461….anything I can’t get with the 261 18” I can just grab the 461…I do have a 362 with a 20” bar that I ported (not a professional) and it’s growing on me….the first 362 I ran years ago was a tough saw but just didn’t impress me to much…

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can put a 3/8 sprocket and a 20 "3/8 .050 bar and chain (full skip for fun) on the 261, I did, I like it!
Well the only reason I didn’t do that is I like limping with .325 better….when you cut smaller limbs do you notice any “grabbing”???

Also how does it act with that 3/8 20” buried in hardwood??

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the only reason I didn’t do that is I like limping with .325 better….when you cut smaller limbs do you notice any “grabbing”???

Also how does it act with that 3/8 20” buried in hardwood??
I didn't have a bar and chain for my 271, so I took the set off of my 261 and put it on there (along with the .325 rim sprocket). I had an extra 3/8 050 bar that I put on my 261. So far I have only been using the 261 on firewood (pine) and it zips through it pretty quick.

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had my MS-362CM almost 10 years now come Oct. Except for the very few times I flooded it, it has always started after 3-4 pulls. It has never missed a beat. I just replaced the OEM spark plug (which looked very good to my inexperienced eyes) yesterday. Haven't run it yet. My only other experience was with a Husky 350 and a Stihl 440 Magnum (heavy SOB!).

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only own one 'puter saw. Have bought a few screwgies since. Not becasue I don't like the 'puters...they are more spendy than the screewgie saws I have bought.

Likes when I got it: Stabbed rat performance, easy/predictable cold starts.

Dislikes since owning: Runs a little wonky in heat sometimes (mki husky), I can't do anything with it (diagnose/correct). Needs OBDII type of *user interface or something.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had my MS-362CM almost 10 years now come Oct. Except for the very few times I flooded it, it has always started after 3-4 pulls. It has never missed a beat. I just replaced the OEM spark plug (which looked very good to my inexperienced eyes) yesterday. Haven't run it yet. My only other experience was with a Husky 350 and a Stihl 440 Magnum (heavy SOB!).
I think I will keep the ms362 I just rebuilt its acting pretty good with a 20” bar…it’s just a standard carb….

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well goin out after work tomorrow, tree guy called with some white oak…got the 18” bar on can’t wait to see how she does!!!