Saw Dyno

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. I was thinking some sort of linear progression brake booster. Not sure if one even exists.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jason and Kevin's saws were putting out max torque of like 7 ft-lbs or so. I think the peak was 7.8 on one of Kevins (probably from brake grab reaction which is fine).

You take that and multiply by 5 to get how much it's pushing on the load cell -- so 7.8 x 5 = 39 lbs. The load cell is rated for 20kg or 44 lbs.

Thus the most torque a saw can put out before breakage risk is 8.8 ft. lbs.

A saw doing 10000 RPM producing 8.8 ft lbs would do 16.75 horsepower.
Same thing doing 9000 RPM producing 8.8 ft lbs would do about 15.1 horsepower.

If not making spikes in force we should be able to do up to 12HP saws at the magic 9K to 10K range without to0 much risk of breakage.

As bill said -- if we break the load cell the one were using only costs like $7. We have a couple of spares :)

MasterMech

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jason and Kevin's saws were putting out max torque of like 7 ft-lbs or so. I think the peak was 7.8 on one of Kevins (probably from brake grab reaction which is fine).

You take that and multiply by 5 to get how much it's pushing on the load cell -- so 7.8 x 5 = 39 lbs. The load cell is rated for 20kg or 44 lbs.

Thus the most torque a saw can put out before breakage risk is 8.8 ft. lbs.

A saw doing 10000 RPM producing 8.8 ft lbs would do 16.75 horsepower.
Same thing doing 9000 RPM producing 8.8 ft lbs would do about 15.1 horsepower.

If not making spikes in force we should be able to do up to 12HP saws at the magic 9K to 10K range without to0 much risk of breakage.

As bill said -- if we break the load cell the one were using only costs like $7. We have a couple of spares :)
So what about comparing some vintage saws to modern day stuff? 6-7k Rip 'ems and 100cc+. I can see quite few of @Lee H 's saws sending your load cell into orbit.

One problem is that the saw power output isn't linear, so you can't just apply even pressure to get an even deceleration.

Would def have to have the actuator driven by a fast sampling PID controller to avoid sudden drops in speed when the engine falls out of its powerband.

It's been very interesting to read how you guys are dealing with the characteristics of the friction brake mechanicals. I'd love to see a hydro setup compared alongside.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you guys need a sacrificial big mount bar , just say the word and I will send one wherever it needs to go.
There are 3/8" sprockets made for dang near any saw these days. If you need anything in that regard let me know.
I want to see my ported 084 and 076 on a dyno one day :)

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what about comparing some vintage saws to modern day stuff? 6-7k Rip 'ems and 100cc+. I can see quite few of @Lee H 's saws sending your load cell into orbit.

Would def have to have the actuator driven by a fast sampling PID controller to avoid sudden drops in speed when the engine falls out of its powerband.

It's been very interesting to read how you guys are dealing with the characteristics of the friction brake mechanicals. I'd love to see a hydro setup compared alongside.
Well get on it already... Build one!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you need a running saw to do a ported saw? Or can it have one with motor issues?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. I got my eyes open for a good used one. Any advice for me on a particular model? Just a few basic models for Stihl I was looking at. 440, 660, etc?