High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Computer controlled saw carbs.

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So ive been thinking lately about computer controlled saw carbs like the autotune and mtronic. I personally have a 576xp and a 545 thats ported that absolutely screams. Both are autotune. But i worry about if they ever go down im screwed.

So i guess my question is, how reliable are the electronics in the long run? Bc i have a jred thats a paperweight currently that i can never come out on if i pay to repair it. Am i worrying too much or inevitably will they give me s***?

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know about the auto tune. No husky shops anywhere close to me anymore. But I keep two mtronic update kits on hand. Seems like the fuel solenoids go bad quite often. Especially with fuel that can be suspect or contaminated.

Sucks because they are $50+ now.

Steven

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm 'old school', I'll be 72 in a few months. I like something that I can mod and tune myself. I know what it should feel like and I know how to mod it to get it running better.

If the carb develops a 'hick-up', I can figure it out myself and dial it back in with a few basic tools in the shed.

The modern electronic fuel systems were developed to overcome some of the EPA restrictions, they were not developed to produce maximum power. I can rework a basic mechanical carb to produce good power and reliability. I used to be an electronic technician and I have modded many electronic fuel injection systems on both petrol 4-strokes and diesels. I'll stay with the mechanical carbs as long as I can, which because of my age, is probably not all that long to go...

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interested as well...I love my Stihl MS 261c, yet it has a hiccup about once a yr that requires a shop visit & $$$,
not very expensive, but....

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess my biggest thing is servicing dealers, for autotune specifically. There a couple dealers reasonably close and they dont really want to mess with em much. Which that in itself concerns me.

Kinda makes me want to sell em to someone else who knows the systems better and has equipment to service them. Turns my stomach that i may have to pay someone else to work on my saws.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you worry about your computer controlled saw but yet your vehicle has more computers and you don’t worry about that? I think to many people over think these computer controlled saws. Computers control so much stuff these days.

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ive been auto technician for 15 years i have all the required scan tools and diag equipment to repair anything i need to on a car, the saw stuff i dont have. And last i knew you have to be a dealer to get software updates. Thats what bothers me.

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Massachusetts right to repair act forces auto manufacturers to release diagnostic data and repair information to the private sector, thats why you see snap on, autel, otc, Bosch making scan tools to repair every make and model car and truck. Unless things changed saws companies arent forced to divulge that info therefore you have no choice but to go to the dealer for the software. And if you have no dealers close that want to touch them.......

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you worry about your computer controlled saw but yet your vehicle has more computers and you don’t worry about that? I think to many people over think these computer controlled saws. Computers control so much stuff these days.

You do have to admit that automotive companies have a little more experience under their belts, and probably have a much bigger budget to develop and test their stuff...

That being said, three saws on the top of my list my list are all Autotune.

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess my real question is, the guys who run em every day loggers, arborists, etc etc. How reliable have they been? Do they give alot of trouble or are have they been hammer reliable. I guess compared to a normal saw.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess my real question is, the guys who run em every day loggers, arborists, etc etc. How reliable have they been? Do they give alot of trouble or are have they been hammer reliable. I guess compared to a normal saw.
I have put significant time on a couple Stihl 661’s, and a Husqvarna 562, with essentially no problems due to the mtronic or autotune. For me, they have been very nice to run, not worrying about perfect tuning.

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is just the way of the future.
with anything in life there are pros and cons.
Dont be sceered it's just a double magnet flywheel, an ignition with a little more brains, a couple wires and solenoid no big deal

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Im assuming theres rolling changes to saws much like the automotive industry. So my 576 is a 2015 model and the 545 is a 14' model. Hopefully they had the bugs worked out by then

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
576’s were pretty good from the get go from what I understand. Interestingly.

Boomer 87

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
576’s were pretty good from the get go from what I understand. Interestingly.

Thats good to know, both huskys run fantastic, im just concerened if/when they go down, ill be kinda stuck. It turns my stomach that id hafta pay someone to repair my chainsaw as i have 50+ others that i can fix myself

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know but I’ve got 7 mtronic/auto tune saws and I’ve been running them since 2011 or 2012. Somehow I’ve never had a problem with any of them. They are like the energizer bunny to me.