Bunch of random pics of cutters

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started a long thread on the cheap, ‘Harbor Freight style’ grinders on A.S., due to a challenge. Bottom line: cheap is cheap. Did not like the wheels on most of them either.

Here is a link, if interested:
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/hf-chain-grinder-thread.268303/

If you know what you are try achieve, you might be able to improve a dull chain, but they are not my first choice.

Philbert

Ya... I'm not a fan. You take off way more material than necessary with those grinders. I like my chains to last.
2-4 swipes with a round file is usually enough to get it sharp again unless you messed the chain up.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It takes more skill and mechanical ability to make a cheap tool work than a good one….and eyesight. That was my point in making this thread. So people can see what cutters should look like and what effect different angles have.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It takes more skill and mechanical ability to make a cheap tool work than a good one….and eyesight. That was my point in making this thread. So people can see what cutters should look like and what effect different angles have.

I'm not that good at sharpening chains so, it is helpful to have some good pictures of what the cutters are supposed to look like. It is a lot easier to start out with a brand new chain that is round ground and sharpen as need be as it is easier to keep the right angle and Gullet depth VS trying to straighten out a chain someone grinded or filed all wonky. I have plenty more of those chains to mess with. Honestly by the time I get it back to where it will cut decent again I probably would be better off just getting a new chain for $25 haha but, it's good practice.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have any of you guys tried filing a standard 3/8 chain with a 5/32 file?

Some friends say it cuts really well. I haven't tried it myself.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's 4.0mm, for 3/8" Picco/Low Profile

You would most likely get a very sensitive cutting edge, and filing with that thin file is tedious as it flexes and bends.

My Stihl Rapid Duro 3 loop had a tiny little C-shape factory ground into the carbide insert, IIRC 3.2mm.
It cut great and held up a year of bucking firewood logs of various species.

Try it and report back! ;)

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Better known as the little C ?

Yes, I think that's what they called it.

That's 4.0mm, for 3/8" Picco/Low Profile

You would most likely get a very sensitive cutting edge, and filing with that thin file is tedious as it flexes and bends.

Try it and report back! ;)

Good point on the flexing. I'll stick the file in a Granberg 106B. That should help.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get a husky roller guide if you don’t have one yet @Jason628
I'm doing pretty good with a file guide so far. I got one of those little hand crank things I'm going to try out and see if I like it. Will probably get the husky roller one too. Trying to find something that works well and is pretty easy to use so dad will stop destroying his stihl chains hahaha

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The husky is a good trainer because you can see what’s happening. Check it out on YouTube.

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought this Stihl chain from EBay, it originally came from a rental department store.
I resharpened it by hand , maybe a little hooky.View attachment 352513 View attachment 352514
Would hooky be okay for softer woods? That's pretty much what my cutters look like on the chain I just finished. I mostly cut pine and fir. Tamarack is probably the hardest wood we cut. A dead standing tamarack is pretty hard to find anymore though...

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would hooky be okay for softer woods? That's pretty much what my cutters look like on the chain I just finished. I mostly cut pine and fir. Tamarack is probably the hardest wood we cut. A dead standing tamarack is pretty hard to find anymore though...

Personally, yes its fine gor me. Even with hard wood for alittle bit . It just requires a shorter sharpening interval.

Timjus

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
out of the box c85 grind this time.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made the "Big-C" version of that X-Cut cutter the other day.
I have to try it though.
I also have a new X-Cut in .325", but it will remain new for a while. I need to spend all the slow semi chisel .325" I have so I don't have to look at them no more.

Ground deep into the gullet, then round filed with the file positioned lower than recommended.
You can see where the file sat in the second picture.
This was merely play, I like my chains with a big C and the file positioned higher.
IMG_20221019_142930~2.jpg

IMG_20221019_142955~2.jpg