Country flag

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To much gullet? I have to use a 1/4 inch round file to get the top angle to sharpen. View attachment 382149
Looks a little too hooked but I think if you left more in the gullet you would be fine. The tooth on the left looks like it was cleaned out with a smaller file, do you clean up the gullet first or after the top of the tooth.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
3:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was playing around with my grinder and this i what I ended up with. It ripped through 20" mesquite for 2 cuts then would not cut wet chit. I'm going to profile the grinder disk and raise the depth stop. And check my rakers too.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was playing around with my grinder and this i what I ended up with. It ripped through 20" mesquite for 2 cuts then would not cut wet chit. I'm going to profile the grinder disk and raise the depth stop. And check my rakers too.

Makes sense it’s a pretty hooky grind. With hard mesquite like you have, less hook is better imo. I’m starting to use semi chisel on my dry hard logs, if your saw has the torque to pull it semi chisel digs in better than full chisel.

Signed, a guy who used to hate semi chisel.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm In harder stuff I drop the rakers more so the chain doesn't skim.
That is one way to do it.
But You exponentially increase PH load, and semi chisel chain is already demanding more power to do the same work as full chisel on the same PH in the same wood with the same chain pitch.

You are patching a patch with a torn patch, or at least I see it that way.

Maybe I am wrong, I know I am not the sharpest tool in the shop. ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah , sorry - harder stuff!!!

Full chisel, slow chain speed - that is what You should want.

But generally, forget semi in hard stuff.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only drop rakes below specs on a dedicated chain for a powerful PH set up with a short bar.
Like PS-7900 & 20" B&C.
And this can be unpleasant and tiring to run, gotta be careful.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll say that what changed my opinion on semi chisel was dropping the rakers low and filing a deeper hook in the tooth. I’ve only ran Oregon Dpx and Carlton a3? And they both needed the rakers dropped lower and to have a deeper gullet and more hook filed in than their factory angles.

It definitely puts more strain on the power head that way, but it chews through hardened knotty maple and ash instead of skipping over it like full chisel. Lower rakers and and a good hook makes semi-chisel a different animal. Never tried Stihl semi chisel but I hear good things.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll say that what changed my opinion on semi chisel was dropping the rakers low and filing a deeper hook in the tooth. I’ve only ran Oregon Dpx and Carlton a3? And they both needed the rakers dropped lower and to have a deeper gullet and more hook filed in than their factory angles.

It definitely puts more strain on the power head that way, but it chews through hardened knotty maple and ash instead of skipping over it like full chisel. Lower rakers and and a good hook makes semi-chisel a different animal. Never tried Stihl semi chisel but I hear good things.

She’ll pull a low raker 👍IMG_0107.jpeg

HumBurner

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense it’s a pretty hooky grind. With hard mesquite like you have, less hook is better imo. I’m starting to use semi chisel on my dry hard logs, if your saw has the torque to pull it semi chisel digs in better than full chisel.

Signed, a guy who used to hate semi chisel.

Semi chisel is the only way for round chain. But I have no idea what "clean wood" would even look like, sooo......

To much gullet? I have to use a 1/4 inch round file to get the top angle to sharpen. View attachment 382149

Can't see the inside profile, but it looks good from the outer. I prefer to dig into the gullets to gain as much surface area as possible. If you go back and look at mrsmith66's chain photos, there's a lot of unfiled metal/cutter not being used to cut in each pass.