Husqvarna 61 Build - 630 super / 162 closed port hybrid

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went ahead a ordered the Holzfforma case splitter for about $50 shipped. I know the bearing will stay in the case when using that one vs the MX case splitter I have. The bearing staying in the case is a lot easier to deal with vs stuck on the crank.

Now that I know the "retro bright" whitening technique works and doesn't damage the type of plastic husky used for these, I have the nicer white top prepared. It's coated in the "40 volume" developer cream, plastic wrapped and I placed it outside this morning in the sun. The cling wrap is to keep it from drying out. If that stuff dries out on the plastic, it can possibly mess up the finish.

I don't want this thing perfect, I just wanted it a bit less yellow and chalky oxidized. Later this evening I will show the results and the muffler rust removal results as well.

View attachment 322017
View attachment 322018
I just ordered so vol 40 developer to try on a Stihl tank and starter cover, thanks for posting that.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang, that thing looks clean! Nice job!

Thanks Woodslasher! I hope it's not too clean and I baby it. I don't think I will though.... Just in case, I am already looking for another one of these to do....it will be far less pretty but more power.

I just ordered so vol 40 developer to try on a Stihl tank and starter cover, thanks for posting that.

Heck yea that's great Ronie. So they say it can damage plastic if it dries, maybe. I did cling wrap AND it was in a gallon ziplock. Another note, you don't have to wait for a clear day. Apparently it doesn't take much UV to work and an overcast sky will still work. The longer it goes in the sun the deeper into the plastic the whitening process will go. I was happy with mine after appx 7h in the sun. I made sure to rotate it a few times because shadows are worse in this winter sun. PM me some pics or let me know when you do the process, id love to see it.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I restored this one. It was shot -- no spark and no chain brake. Somehow it had good compression and it runs today:

Hey what do you think about that aftermarket chain brake / side cover? I have a friend that wants me to build him a 61, but his is missing the side cover/ chain brake. Probably my only option is aftermarket for that....I see one OEM on ebay but they want like 130 bucks for it, yea right.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey what do you think about that aftermarket chain brake / side cover? I have a friend that wants me to build him a 61, but his is missing the side cover/ chain brake. Probably my only option is aftermarket for that....I see one OEM on ebay but they want like 130 bucks for it, yea right.
I got mine form HLSupply. It's an import and was much less expensive than that. It works really well.
https://www.hlsproparts.com/Husqvarna-61-268-272-sprocket-cover-p/h60266.htm

I remember that I also had to buy one of the ignition modules as I rebuilt this saw. In all, I doubt if I spent $60 shipped for both, but that was four years ago before Brandon's inflation kicked in.

Last edited:

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In all, I doubt if I spent $60 shipped for both, but that was four years ago before Brandon's inflation kicked in
Obviously your understanding of economics is limited if you think "brandon" has anything to do with current conditions. Are you familiar with supply/demand concept? Early 2020, demand cratered and supply was through the roof. Now its the opposite, demand is through the roof and manufacturers cant keep up, so prices increase. Econ 101. Not to mention the FACT that its your fukkin hero's fed chairmans policy thats led to a lot of this. And all the stupid fukkin tarriffs that said glorious leader imposed. And thats just scratching the surface. Stick to postin pics of ur 036 youve posted 1000 times.
Footnote: i think joe biden sucks. But blaming economic conditions on a single person as if these things happen instantaneously is just ignorant and i have a hard time not callin it like i see it.

Last edited:

Northerner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Don’t. I had one China brake in my shop, and the handle broke off first time trying to pull back the brake.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I finally got to put the saw in some wood and it runs great. The off idle throttle response gave me high hopes for it beating my 440 clone saw build, but it didn't.

The clone 440 build is about 20% faster. I honestly thought these two would be closer than that. Video at bottom if anyone is interested. I have a bigger tillotson 266 carb to be rebuilt, I'd love to try that and see what kind of difference that makes.

Then porting.

Also, both saws are using the same exact chain btw.

Last edited:

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today I got the larger tillotson carb from a 266 rebuilt (hs224a) and swapped over on the closed port 61. The 224a is 20mm vs 18mm on original. See picture. Good thing about this carb is that it fits these older 61's with the idle screw on the chassis.

I did some test cuts with the change. It feels better up top for sure. I have to change my test cut wood, so I will need to run both again to see if they are any closer.

I think it would be fun to see if I can get this saw the same or better than my 440 clone.

Screenshot_20220119-191748_Gallery.jpg

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Larger 224a carb installed on the 61 build. This wood is quite a bit larger than the prior test but that's ok, I ran both saws again. I also touched up the chain before running the saws. I'm happy with the results! Getting closer to my goal for the 61 build.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Larger 224a carb installed on the 61 build. This wood is quite a bit larger than the prior test but that's ok, I ran both saws again. I also touched up the chain before running the saws. I'm happy with the results! Getting closer to my goal for the 61 build.

I looks good, am a novice at these piston ports. I wonder if sacrifice some compression for more exhaust duration would be better. I have built some compression kings the cut like duds, super snappy Duds! Lol your saw isn’t a dud, just saying.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looks good, am a novice at these piston ports. I wonder if sacrifice some compression for more exhaust duration would be better. I have built some compression kings the cut like duds, super snappy Duds! Lol your saw isn’t a dud, just saying.

Haha, thanks! I haven't timed a saw yet or really ported, but I do understand what you mean when you say possibly sacrifice some compression for exhaust duration. That is definitely something to look into once I time the saw. I will post the numbers here.

I am going to port it for sure, I just wanted to see how much of a difference that bigger carb would be.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just an update. I have been studying porting. (The Ironhorse, Tinman's Saws, and J&S Chainsaws on Youtube have been really helpful since they do a lot of these series of saws).

I have my ebay special carbide cutters here ready to go, waiting on some craytex rubberized sanding bits. I'm going to be pulling this thing down again once I get a degree wheel. I spent 3h trying to make my own degree wheel with ZERO success. It was actually laughable.

Also....I acquired another 61 on ebay for actually a really good price. Private negotiation with seller is sometimes the way to go if you can be patient, which is hard sometimes. This one needs parts but has all the hard to find pieces in great shape. This one will be a big bore. More on that one later.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been studying porting. (The Ironhorse, Tinman's Saws, and J&S Chainsaws on Youtube have been really helpful since they do a lot of these series of saws).

I wouldn't trust anything ironhorse says, I don't know about the other two.

Last edited:

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Ronie - I was going to start pretty conservative but I need to see where the timing as at first. The plan was to clean and open up the lower transfers, not touch the upper transfers, raise exhaust roof 2 degrees, and lower intake 2 degrees.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Ronie - I was going to start pretty conservative but I need to see where the timing as at first. The plan was to clean and open up the lower transfers, not touch the upper transfers, raise exhaust roof 2 degrees, and lower intake 2 degrees.
I hesitate to give any advice because of my lack of experience. My advice would be to post your numbers and ask for some advice, I'm sure some of the experienced porters will help you out.