High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Aftermarket Husqvarna 288xp (281 181) top covers!

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
11:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the off chance anyone hasn't noticed, i've pulled the trigger and gotten some top covers made that are compatible with the Husqvarna 288xp, 281, 181 chassis. They are considered "high top" and are compatible with both the original "eliminator" style K&N filters (part # RU3460 ....still currently available on amazon) AND with the Husqvarna oem "high top" style filters (still available as part #503551271)...

HOWEVER, traditionally the trixy part of the whole "high top" setup is / has been the elbow.

If you want to use the K&N filters, then you'll need an "adapter" for the low top elbow to adapt the filter to the elbow. Though some of these are available as 3d printed parts, I'm working on getting these injection moulded. i'll post here as soon as I have an update on that.

If you want to run the oem high top flocked filters, then you'll need a high top elbow. I believe HL SUPPLY is working on the elbows. I have seen prototypes and they are bang on perfect... AS WELL AS HL SUPPLY working on an aftermarket version of these filters that looks equally as nice.

Ok, onto the covers themselves. For 20 years or so 288xp high tops have been considered unobtanium because husky stopped making them and so did "eliminator". I hired an injection mould company to design and manufacture a mould, from scratch, that was similar and in some ways better than the oem or eliminator covers. These covers are made out of nylon and are 30% glass fiber reinforced. Due their strength, I will cover them with a 1 year drop a tree on it warrantee. If it breaks, i replace it. All I ask is you cover shipping both directions. ie, send me back the pieces, u get a new one.

The upsides: these are very strong, heavy duty covers. they come with top cover bolts that are captured by the plastic. there are 4 colors currently available and going forward doing different colors is no problem. they accomodate both relevant types of filters as well. i offer a drop a tree on them warrantee, and they are made in USA. they fit very well over the filters and will go with 181 281 and 288xp chassis. there is an internal indent to mark where you might want a decomp hole

The downsides: I like orange the least out of the 4 colors. all colors are matte finish, personally I like black and blue best, but white (stihl grey lol) is cool too. the fitment towards the muffler isn't perfectly aligned to the chassis. not a big deal, but I also can't change it to make it perfect due to the complexity of the injection mould itself. if you want to use a decomp, you might consider a 3120xp decomp due to length. these new covers are a little larger and therefore have a little extra depth in the area of the decomp valve. 3 workarounds. 1, don't use a valve, 2, make a large enough hole to reach an oem decomp, 3 use a 3120 decomp with some added washers to extend the reach of the button. also, we don't yet have ready access to the elbows, but thats gonna change soon

the ugly: 2 things... money and money. These are not cheap to get made. the upfront cost is quite high to get this whole project going. worse, if the design needs to be modified in any way its stupidly expensive. overall I had about 400 covers made. If they sell at $50 each plus ship then i'll break even and I can consider doing other projects (read 266 covers??? .... 066, 084? who knows). But for now I'm overextended financially until those are sold. WORSE... 2 days after I announced my covers coming to market (back in July) Farmertek announced they would be producing a 288 clone. ...with a high top. Supposedly that was supposed to be here in September but I haven't seen it.

the future: i have the guy to make this stuff. he does a bang up job in CAD and knows his plastics. if these products take off then I can produce some pretty cool stuff ahead of the chinese to keep some of these vintage saws relevant. the mould that was made for these 288 covers weighs about 2000 lbs.... its a chunk of steel that needs to be moved with a forklift into a 700 ton press. the good news is that there is room on this blank for the 266 covers. its just very very pricey to do it.

the website is www.mattschainsawparts.com/shop

I will eventually be getting the cranktools on the site as well.

thanks so much Randy for the support and Steve @exCanuck for the website

special thanks to @Gentleman for just going for it with the 288 elbows and filters!

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a black cover from Matt and it's a high quality product. I would say it seems far stronger than the "Eliminator" covers (I have two of the Eliminators here, along with a NOS OEM "high top").

The mounting holes lined up perfectly - fit and finish is great.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best of luck with the sale of the covers Matt.

I’ve got nothing but good things to say about my business dealings with Matt. I have all his crank tools (bar a couple for the huskies) and payment and processing has been quick and efficient. Postage over to Australia has been quick and efficient and response to emails and help has been great. If I had a 288 I’d grab a top cover without any hesitation.

To add, I have a friend out here in Australian and he too has nothing but great things to say about Matt / his business dealings with him and products.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best of luck with the sale of the covers Matt.

I’ve got nothing but good things to say about my business dealings with Matt. I have all his crank tools (bar a couple for the huskies) and payment and processing has been quick and efficient. Postage over to Australia has been quick and efficient and response to emails and help has been great. If I had a 288 I’d grab a top cover without any hesitation.

To add, I have a friend out here in Australian and he too has nothing but great things to say about Matt / his business dealings with him and products.
Likewise.
There are at least two sets of MattyO crank tools in NZ, and I would happily trade again.
I know the thread is about the covers, but sales is sales so get the case tool too, or instead, and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Likewise.
There are at least two sets of MattyO crank tools in NZ, and I would happily trade again.
I know the thread is about the covers, but sales is sales so get the case tool too or instead and you won't be disappointed.
I think I might have one of the other 'at least two' crank install tool sets Adam is referring to here in NZ :) and I'd endorse dealing with Mattyo. It would have to be one of the most used and best tool purchases I have ever made.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to buy one and put it where I see it to nag me to build my 288. Have almost all the parts.

@Mattyo which colors sell more or less?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
11:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far I've sold very few of the white and black. Least of the white.

Orange is still my least favorite. It isn't bad but it's just not a great match. I tried for sure. Blue black and white are all pretty slick and the white is particular cool because you can probably dye it if you want.

I'm thinking about hot pink on the next batch and maybe deep olive drab for those guys with the military editions :)

Btw...the website is sorted now.