Husqvarna 2100 thread

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
8:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
YEah I didnt look hard, I am sure they are out there.
I am just settling into accepting tere is bugger all out there for 2100's.

I have lots of good gasket material and if I need to, I can paint a case half and press it on to make a template.

There is one on GT for $400 about 4 hours up the road from me that looks to have had the muffler butchered and the chain brake chopped off.
If its still available after a week I will go in cheaper.

$400 AUS?

Y'all need a different symbol for your dollar signs.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep sounds like rollers are bunched up. Hope it's not a rod bearing.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha, maybe you guys should start using the £ (Pound) symbol, match the fact your measurements are still in imperial :risas3:. Dollars are metric ;)

Ha No!

The Dollar is like Apple Pie, Baseball, and John Wayne: American.

It would make more sense to a slow learner like me if you did use sterling rather than the dollar; especially considering y'all were a colony long after we were.

[emoji6][emoji6]

To Independence [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
8:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Convicts, not colony.

No convicts in my family, we captained the ships your ancestors came out on, eh? :)

And is was multiple colonies that kept the convicts working ;)

Iron.and.bark

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ha No!

The Dollar is like Apple Pie, Baseball, and John Wayne: American.

It would make more sense to a slow learner like me if you did use sterling rather than the dollar; especially considering y'all were a colony long after we were.

[emoji6][emoji6]

To Independence [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Be fair you fella's had a few hundred years head start ;)

Besides all it took federate all of Australia's colonies was a big talk fest and probably a heap of beer :)

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first post here, I actually stumbled on this forum by accident.

My dad gave me his last falling saw about ten years ago, a 2100CD. He used to fall for P&G up here in northern Alberta in the late 70s and early 80s. He said that he wore out 3 2100s in that time. It was fully operational but the engine was very weak. I've lightly used it since for fetching firewood etc. The hardest work it's had was cutting larger wood hauled out of the bush by our snowmobile club. I put a 26" bar and 3/8 chain on it as it was just the power head when I got it.

He had given it to his younger brother for him to fall with and his brother had carried it in the airbox cubby of his excavator at work for a long time (probably a few years). It cracked the plastic intake boot during this time and he continued to run it. We got lucky as it only lost a small piece of piston and only picked up 3 deep scratches in the cylinder wall. The head has some detonation marks and the piston crown was damaged as well as the webbing on one port was broken.

A friend of mine and I are really into woodworking. I build gun stocks and he builds tables and cabinets. He's built a custom mill set up utilizing my saw. It uses a steel frame with an integrated drip oiler and additional oil tank. This got me wondering about freshening its engine up. It wasn't starting very good anymore etc. As could be expected given what I found internally.

Yesterday I put it back into service after a few weeks of looking for a cylinder. Basically I gave up on that idea for now. I lightly lapped the inside of the cylinder with lapping compound on the old piston in the same way you would hone it. I smoothed the edges of the ports and any rough damaged spots. I removed the piece of piston from the head. Then I installed a new golf piston and rings. Now it sounds and runs just like it did when I was a kid. I can't wait to get it out and do some cutting with it again, load of tamarack is on the menu one night next week.

I'm thinking of trying to find another cylinder, good or bad. I'm wondering if any of the cylinder repair shops like Adrian Bernard in Quebec can rebuild these? They have done pretty amazing things with mod sled engine cylinders I've had. I had one drop a whole skirt off one time and they repaired it. A few scratches in the NiCasil should be nothing for those guys.

Now I just need the air filter cover for it (mine was split a long time ago and finally fell in half last winter) and to give the saw a good cleaning and it's ready to work again.

Thinking I'd like to find another saw for the mill down the road though as this one is a neat keepsake from a time in my dads life that he was pretty fond of. As he's a retired faller, and so is this saw, maybe it should just occasionally come out to play.

I'll see if he can find any pictures of him at work with it back in the day and I'll scan them and post them here.

Brandon

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep an eye on Ebay- good used cylinders pop up on there from time to time. The last two good jugs I've bought came from there. I search for parts lots as well and from time to time some really good stuff pops up. One of the best 2100 parts lots I scored was advertised as Poulan because there were four Wild Thing parts in the lot.

Iron.and.bark

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first post here, I actually stumbled on this forum by accident.

My dad gave me his last falling saw about ten years ago, a 2100CD. He used to fall for P&G up here in northern Alberta in the late 70s and early 80s. He said that he wore out 3 2100s in that time. It was fully operational but the engine was very weak. I've lightly used it since for fetching firewood etc. The hardest work it's had was cutting larger wood hauled out of the bush by our snowmobile club. I put a 26" bar and 3/8 chain on it as it was just the power head when I got it.

He had given it to his younger brother for him to fall with and his brother had carried it in the airbox cubby of his excavator at work for a long time (probably a few years). It cracked the plastic intake boot during this time and he continued to run it. We got lucky as it only lost a small piece of piston and only picked up 3 deep scratches in the cylinder wall. The head has some detonation marks and the piston crown was damaged as well as the webbing on one port was broken.

A friend of mine and I are really into woodworking. I build gun stocks and he builds tables and cabinets. He's built a custom mill set up utilizing my saw. It uses a steel frame with an integrated drip oiler and additional oil tank. This got me wondering about freshening its engine up. It wasn't starting very good anymore etc. As could be expected given what I found internally.

Yesterday I put it back into service after a few weeks of looking for a cylinder. Basically I gave up on that idea for now. I lightly lapped the inside of the cylinder with lapping compound on the old piston in the same way you would hone it. I smoothed the edges of the ports and any rough damaged spots. I removed the piece of piston from the head. Then I installed a new golf piston and rings. Now it sounds and runs just like it did when I was a kid. I can't wait to get it out and do some cutting with it again, load of tamarack is on the menu one night next week.

I'm thinking of trying to find another cylinder, good or bad. I'm wondering if any of the cylinder repair shops like Adrian Bernard in Quebec can rebuild these? They have done pretty amazing things with mod sled engine cylinders I've had. I had one drop a whole skirt off one time and they repaired it. A few scratches in the NiCasil should be nothing for those guys.

Now I just need the air filter cover for it (mine was split a long time ago and finally fell in half last winter) and to give the saw a good cleaning and it's ready to work again.

Thinking I'd like to find another saw for the mill down the road though as this one is a neat keepsake from a time in my dads life that he was pretty fond of. As he's a retired faller, and so is this saw, maybe it should just occasionally come out to play.

I'll see if he can find any pictures of him at work with it back in the day and I'll scan them and post them here.

Brandon

Thanks for the story. Some pictures would be welcome.

Try www.uschrome.com to get the cylinder replated. Kind of expensive, but so will be a new old stock cylinder.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i would be restoring the 2100 and putting it somewhere special for yr dad and others to see it, Mancave or the like. and get a more modern saw thats easy to get parts for for milling.. something like a 394/5.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
10:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my 2100 case apart this afternoon.
The clutch side bearing mount on the crank is a bit loose.
I can push a bearing onto it by hand, but only just. There is no play but its not an interference fit any more.

If it was loose I would not use it but I think it should be ok with some loctite....... I hope