2100 CD Build

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I ordered a carb kit for my 2100s HS136. I was taking my carb apart to give it a good clean as it has some crusty build up. I was pulling off the choke shutter arm and a piece shot out, hit my hand once, the work bench once and disappeared into the void of my workshop (much like e-clips and piston circlips). Ends up it was the choke friction ball that was spring loaded. I swept up best that I could and did not find it.

Does anyone know what size it is? Can you get a bearing or a BB small enough to replace it? It is #5 on the diagram below. The service kit has just about everything but the friction ball (whoever loses those??).

HS136 Diagram.png

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Time to throw in the towel,I've made love to that damned carb until I'm blue in the face with no avail .Ordered a new carb from the Duke .--mumble grumble .
Al, let me know how it goes with that carb, if I can't find a friction ball for mine, I might have to go that route. Although, if that one also has a friction ball, I might be able to swap it to my carb and hold onto the 288 carb as a backup and swap the friction ball back if needed!

The shaft setups are different and you need to swap them.
Just so I understand correctly, you have to pull out the choke and throttle arms and swap their places?

Sloughfoot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I ordered a carb kit for my 2100s HS136. I was taking my carb apart to give it a good clean as it has some crusty build up. I was pulling off the choke shutter arm and a piece shot out, hit my hand once, the work bench once and disappeared into the void of my workshop (much like e-clips and piston circlips). Ends up it was the choke friction ball that was spring loaded. I swept up best that I could and did not find it.

Does anyone know what size it is? Can you get a bearing or a BB small enough to replace it? It is #5 on the diagram below. The service kit has just about everything but the friction ball (whoever loses those??).

View attachment 432831
If you don't get an answer soon, I can remove one and measure it. Probably wouldn't hurt to clean in there anyway.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, let me know how it goes with that carb, if I can't find a friction ball for mine, I might have to go that route. Although, if that one also has a friction ball, I might be able to swap it to my carb and hold onto the 288 carb as a backup and swap the friction ball back if needed!

Just so I understand correctly, you have to pull out the choke and throttle arms and swap their places?
In my case I won't really know until the replacemant carb gets here .That should be today or tomorrow .At any rate since it's a point of interest I'll take a few pictures .

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 432831

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For that matter if you have a collection of old carbs you can rob a ball from a Walbro,Tilley or Zama to get by with . I've managed to lose a few myself over the years .
Good idea, I forgot I have a couple of 036 carbs that don't work, I will look to rob friction ball from one of those!

kanscruzer

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet you can go to the local hardware store with the wall of yellow plastic boxes that sells loose ball bearings of assorted sizes and buy one you think is close , then get the next size smaller, then get the next size bigger. spend $2 ,,,, save money on shipping. Unless the store is 20 miles away & no wall of yellow boxes.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saga ends I got the replacement today .However I did need to change the throttle shaft and butterfly.The choke shaft has a slightly larger hole but it worked as it was .A squirt of fuel 'two pulls then it died ,took it off choke and it fired right up .I'm going to go out in a bit and slice up a big oak log I had let sit too long and it won't be lumber now but it will make fire wood .

Attachments

• DSCN1549[1].JPG
    DSCN1549[1].JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN1550[1].JPG
    DSCN1550[1].JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 14

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saga ends I got the replacement today .However I did need to change the throttle shaft and butterfly.The choke shaft has a slightly larger hole but it worked as it was .A squirt of fuel 'two pulls then it died ,took it off choke and it fired right up .I'm going to go out in a bit and slice up a big oak log I had let sit too long and it won't be lumber now but it will make fire wood .
Good deal!

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is awesome to hear!! Contrats!

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet you can go to the local hardware store with the wall of yellow plastic boxes that sells loose ball bearings of assorted sizes and buy one you think is close , then get the next size smaller, then get the next size bigger. spend $2 ,,,, save money on shipping. Unless the store is 20 miles away & no wall of yellow boxes.
This is probably what I will do before getting something off the internet. There are two stores within a few miles that have the wall of screws and bits in boxes. I may run up there and check it out in a bit.

While going off of @Al Smith 's suggestion I took a look at the extra carbs I have on hand and found that I have another Tillotson carb I replaced on a Husky 61 last year. I got all excited only to find that the guy that took that carb apart before did the same thing, lost the friction ball too. The choke plate just flaps there....

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet you can go to the local hardware store with the wall of yellow plastic boxes that sells loose ball bearings of assorted sizes and buy one you think is close
This did the trick, the smallest chrome bearing the store had was 5/32 and it works great. I got a few and put one in both my 2100's carb and 61 carb and it is working great! Can't beat $0.27 each.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This did the trick, the smallest chrome bearing the store had was 5/32 and it works great. I got a few and put one in both my 2100's carb and 61 carb and it is working great! Can't beat $0.27 each.
now, if they only had a box of fuel line elbows :p I may slather one with JB to get it to seal...cracked from age.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
any detail pics of the modifications you had to make? I have one of the Duke's 288 carbs I was going to use on my 288 build but was able to fix the OE carb and didn't need it. I haven't tackled the 2 136s I have as yet and kinda dread it :p One is not quite complete, I think...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spoke too soon .I made a couple of cuts then it died on the vine, didn't tighten the damned carb bolts .Now the SOB won't start .I think that saw has gremlins . I got the oak log sawn up,got out the good old Stihl 038 mag that's been modified .The big Swede is going to be shelved until I get over my mad on .

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spoke too soon .I made a couple of cuts then it died on the vine, didn't tighten the damned carb bolts .Now the SOB won't start .I think that saw has gremlins .
That sucks to hear. I was getting my 261 ready today to take firewood cutting tomorrow and it was giving me fits, didn't want to idle and died after warming up. At one point I was able to tilt it on its side (flywheel side down) and it started changing tune, I am guessing the flywheel oil seal might be leaking. When I got the saw, it had a scorred piston and cylinder from being straight gassed. I had not changed oil seals at that point and was hoping it would be just a piston and cylinder swap. Luckily I just got my dump-find 272 back together, first saw I stripped down to seals and bearings. Finally got it all back together and running today, so it will have to join my 271 and 046 for wood cutting tomorrow.