The sad decline of real Stihl dealers.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local STIHL dealer: Twin Cities Saw, in Saint Paul, MN, is 4th generation family owned. Two-cycle in their blood.

At least two other, local STIHL dealers that I trust: Minneapolis Saw, and Beisseinger’s Hardware.

Each is an established dealership.

That said, a STIHL rep from corporate mentioned, several years back in a conversation, that chainsaws were a decreasing portion of their sales, and homeowner sales (lawn mowers, string trimmers, etc.) were increasing. So some business decisions are made.

Philbert

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many of the six are box stores?
While his 6 local places might not be box stores, they all (Husky, Echo, Stihl) have to be as they made it unprofitable for the Indy dealers to make their profit margins. Atwoods here carry’s Stihl as do a bunch of Ace hardware stores. None of them know sheet about saws much less ope.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky is so bad here that’s my local dealer, knowing I had a small supply of nos parts, asked if hey could refer customers to me. Why? They can’t get parts. When they can it is a 6mos wait. That’s sad.
That crap is going on here too. My local dealer is a Stihl dealer first, and Husky 2nd. He has been waiting on parts for a handful of Husky saws since March. I was in his shop two weeks ago and told me about a brand new 562xp mkII that wouldn’t start. He said Husky has been giving him crap about sending a replacement coil for the saw. It is hard to make a living fixing saws when you can’t get parts,

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Box stores hence what I have been saying......
Rural King
Farm King
Farm and Fleet
Fleet and Farm
Theisens

all box stores
Fleet Farm does not carry Stihl. We have a Fleet Farm in Winona, and they have a couple farm/ranch Husqvarna saws and some smaller poulans, but they are not a dealer for either Stihl or Husqvarna.

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fleet Farm is another that seems to be declining. I hardly shop there now and when I do I get rock star parking, something that never happened in the past.

farminkarman

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fleet Farm is another that seems to be declining. I hardly shop there now and when I do I get rock star parking, something that never happened in the past.
As a farmer, that store used to be my go-to…when they got bought out, they started going down the tubes. They rarely have what I need.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the first small chains that got Stihl was
A family owned chain store started in Grand Rapids called l and m fleet. Stihl wouldn’t touch them for many years just had homelite, jonsred and husky. Then one year Stihl let them handle a small amount at a few stores and the rest is history. No local stihl shops just l and m

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that Running’s carries STIHL. Also, Northern Tool and ACME Tool. Multiple locations for each of these companies.

A number of these places have a few folks trained to sell these products, but not like a dedicated saw shop.

And repair work might be performed off site, according to a few guys I asked.

Philbert

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that Running’s carries STIHL. Also, Northern Tool and ACME Tool. Multiple locations for each of these companies.

A number of these places have a few folks trained to sell these products, but not like a dedicated saw shop.

And repair work might be performed off site, according to a few guys I asked.

Philbert
Well l and m does have a shop with mechanics if you call them that but after the 2-3 a guy brings his saw in for the same issue he either ends up with new or I end up working on his saw. My wife works for them and I ended up helping an old guy get two custom length chains made because they don’t spin loops.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
9:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My go-to Stihl shop has been circling the drain over the past six months. Three experienced staff have left, and the head of the shop, who has all the certifications from Stihl Virginia Beach and has been to the Stihl factory in Germany, will likely be retiring next March. Seems no one around here wants to be a mechanic in a small engine shop, and too many of the customers think they can have their OPE fixed yesterday. Rude. Seems the name of the game now is replace instead of repair. The Husky shop down the road does have good mechanics who specialize in keeping 372's on the job.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My go-to Stihl shop has been circling the drain over the past six months. Three experienced staff have left, and the head of the shop, who has all the certifications from Stihl Virginia Beach and has been to the Stihl factory in Germany, will likely be retiring next March. Seems no one around here wants to be a mechanic in a small engine shop, and too many of the customers think they can have their OPE fixed yesterday. Rude. Seems the name of the game now is replace instead of repair. The Husky shop down the road does have good mechanics who specialize in keeping 372's on the job.
One of the largest problems locally is the mechanics make 15 to maybe 20$ and hour out of the 100-130$ an hour rhe shop charges so they either don’t stay or aren’t much good. My buddy who used to be pretty high up at that company said the shop was a customer convenience but didn’t make any money. I told him it would easily make money if all the stuff got fixed the first time or occasionally on the 2nd. When a mechanic spends 2-3 hours guessing what’s wrong over 3-4 tries you only have a pissed off customer and a shop not making money. Told him to pay more to 2-3 guys that will check the other peoples work and it will make money. In this situation I told him paying more would be cheaper in the long run.

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a stihl dealer 3 minutes from the house. I won't deal with him because he is a pompous ass. The place I deal with 40 miles away is top notch. Discounts on saws, no shipping on parts and a saw salvage room that I can go and look through for older obsolete parts if I need something
Edit. Sometimes I even run into that @leadfarmer character there.:thumbup:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My side job is a farm and home store that is a Stihl dealer. The sales guys are really knowledgeable and helpful, and they do have a passion for the product line. The one technician is very good but has an abrasive personality. He is also a bit of an eccentric, wears knickerbockers when not at work. He is fixing to retire and I think the store will have a helluva time replacing him. Our store also sells tractors and you aren't going to find a halfway decent ag mechanic for retail pay. Maybe you would find somebody to do the Stihl/mower side but they are likely to jump to a $25.00/hour factory job at any time.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My side job is a farm and home store that is a Stihl dealer. The sales guys are really knowledgeable and helpful, and they do have a passion for the product line. The one technician is very good but has an abrasive personality. He is also a bit of an eccentric, wears knickerbockers when not at work. He is fixing to retire and I think the store will have a helluva time replacing him. Our store also sells tractors and you aren't going to find a halfway decent ag mechanic for retail pay. Maybe you would find somebody to do the Stihl/mower side but they are likely to jump to a $25.00/hour factory job at any time.

There seems to be a pattern of underpaid technicians, and most employees using small dealerships, like Stihl dealers, as stepping stones until something better comes along.

I think it’s more of an industry wide problem, not just Stihl. Sure a guy can enjoy the job of wrenching on small engines for a few bucks less per hour when he’s single, or even just married, but when the family starts growing, money and benefits become real important, real fast. And that’s where a lot of these dealers fall behind. And it’s not necessarily their fault - they can only sell so many units a year in a given area - and then the rest falls on the parts and service side. Tough to keep the doors open some months, let alone pay mechanics and other staff a comfortable wage. Just an observation..

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I get a chance I am going to stop by a box store "Stihl" dealer today and see if they have a simple weedeater blade. I am betting not a chance in hell.

Last edited:

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
do any local dealers around y'all sell any used equipment?
im only asking because my local husky dealer is really struggling with selling units and is very slow on the repair side, I mentioned to him maybe he needs to have some used stuff for sale as well, I am not sure husqvarna would approve of that though.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 around me do. One just sells saws the other sells all kinds of equipment. Both are Husqvarna dealers but that’s in Ontario Canada

farminkarman

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
do any local dealers around y'all sell any used equipment?
im only asking because my local husky dealer is really struggling with selling units and is very slow on the repair side, I mentioned to him maybe he needs to have some used stuff for sale as well, I am not sure husqvarna would approve of that though.
Occasionally my dealer will sell some used stuff. Usually stuff someone traded in for a new saw.