jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
6:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There seems to be a pattern of underpaid technicians, and most employees using small dealerships, like Stihl dealers, as stepping stones until something better comes along.

I think it’s more of an industry wide problem, not just Stihl. Sure a guy can enjoy the job of wrenching on small engines for a few bucks less per hour when he’s single, or even just married, but when the family starts growing, money and benefits become real important, real fast. And that’s where a lot of these dealers fall behind. And it’s not necessarily their fault - they can only sell so many units a year in a given area - and then the rest falls on the parts and service side. Tough to keep the doors open some months, let alone pay mechanics and other staff a comfortable wage. Just an observation..

It's definitely an industry-wide problem but more prevalent in OPE shops rather than in shops who are a major motorsports brand and then also sell and service OPE (there's always been more money in motorsports). The business model for OPE is definitely changing and for technicians, not necessarily for the better. Ultimately, I think most mom-and-pop shops will end up with one or two qualified technicians, and then other staff who mainly handle sales and unpack & assemble new units. I've seen that transition happening in the last few years vs. a shop where all of the staff were qualified technicians, which was the model 15-20 years ago.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's definitely an industry-wide problem but more prevalent in OPE shops rather than in shops who are a major motorsports brand and then also sell and service OPE (there's always been more money in motorsports). The business model for OPE is definitely changing and for technicians, not necessarily for the better. Ultimately, I think most mom-and-pop shops will end up with one or two qualified technicians, and then other staff who mainly handle sales and unpack & assemble new units. I've seen that transition happening in the last few years vs. a shop where all of the staff were qualified technicians, which was the model 15-20 years ago.
I absolutely agree.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I get a chance I am going to stop by a box store "Stihl" dealer today and see if they have a simple weedeater blade. I am betting not a chance in hell.
they probably will
While his 6 local places might not be box stores, they all (Husky, Echo, Stihl) have to be as they made it unprofitable for the Indy dealers to make their profit margins. Atwoods here carry’s Stihl as do a bunch of Ace hardware stores. None of them know sheet about saws much less ope.
Our box stores still know some stuff but usually just enough to get them in trouble

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got the same situation as the previous comment of a pompus azz as a Stihl dealer which is two miles from my house .Rather than deal with that guy I travel 14 miles to another one .Now this Runnings business it changes names about every 6 months .It's been Farm and Field ,and three or four others in the last two years .Every time it changes hands they sell off the inventory and can you really get good deals .I bought enough anti freeze to last me at least the next 10 years plus enough chainsaw bar oil to last me maybe 6 years .I've already used up the motor oil and hydraulic oil I think .

Squish9

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
do any local dealers around y'all sell any used equipment?
im only asking because my local husky dealer is really struggling with selling units and is very slow on the repair side, I mentioned to him maybe he needs to have some used stuff for sale as well, I am not sure husqvarna would approve of that though.
Over here Stihl doesn't like the dealers selling used equipment. They really dictate the look for the shop and having used stuff on the shelves apparently takes away form the "dealer experience" for customers, whatever that means.

Husky in Australia is a strange experience, they have a habit of picking up a bunch of dealers only to them knife them a year or 2 later. Happened to a local irrigation dealer a few years back. They went all in on husky, built a new show room, workshop and built up a decent customer base. They where great to deal with and all was going well for a few years only to have their dealership pulled and given to another OPE dealer a few minutes down the road.

The other shop had built up a reputation over the years of being bad to deal with and constantly changing the brands they dealt. They had really bad after sales support because they would drop that brand and no longer support it. Guess what they did with husky?

Now husky is selling a lot of stuff online direct from the importer. You can buy bars, chains and most accessories direct from them and that's where the dealers use to make money from people coming back into the store. It's not looking good for their dealers

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stopped by what is now the "Authorized local Stihl Dealer" AKA fluging box store on Monday.

Nope they did not have a simple consumable part that many folks need.

Great JOB Stihl kill your ACTUAL stocking dealers and sell through box stores:mad:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard from a number of dealers, over the years, that they can’t get parts: Efco, Husqvarna, Makita/ Dolmar, etc.

Different dealers. Different brands. Different times. But they can’t service their customers if the manufacturers don’t support them.

Similar issue with warranty work: someone buys a Husqvarna saw at a big box store; brings it in for warranty work; and Husqvarna wants to pay a flat rate for repairs, that doesn’t cover their costs.

Philbert

Last edited:

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that’s the standard for all major corporations these days.
At my shop we used to carry a line of hvac equipment that would only cover the part and no labour on a warranty call. Then they told us we’d have to pay $45k a year for the “privlege” to sell their equipment.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I plan on stopping by one of two of the old Stihl dealers here later this week. I know they each still have a few things left.