The sad decline of real Stihl dealers.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local Stihl Dealer[if you can call it a Dealer] is a Do It Best hardware store, and they do have one decent mechanic there. However, I get phone calls from them from time to time asking how to fix certain models of Stihl saws, usually the older ) series since they know that I used to manage a Stihl dealership years ago. My main gripe is that there is never anyone there who can look up /order parts. Numerous times, I have had to go down to their store and look up my parts because they couldn't find or understand what I needed. All of us dealers knew what would happen when Stihl decided to put their product into hardware stores and it came true. I could carry on for a long time on this topic but don't want to bore everyone, Lol.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our minimum order was $400 for free freight, since day one. But we made it happen. And during the slower months, we just ate the shipping, because if you can’t do that a few times a month, well frankly you shouldn’t be in business. Like I said, we took care of our customer, and we still made money.
That is odd as Mississippi Valley Stihl prior to the Stihl take over treated dealers much better than that. The minimum was $50. So you are saying Midwest Stihl prior to being taken over was charging you shipping on a order under $400? That is not good.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the small family owned dealers here had repped them since the 1960‘s and no longer exist. Even at the Timbersports event judged by their booth I can see they‘re targeting John Q homeowner. At least in this area that must be the bread and butter with pro-Level equipment a minor portion of the business.
It is funny you mention Timbersports. Many years ago I took one of my young sons to the Midwest qualifier of the Stihl Timbersports series. At the end of each sawing event they would announce kids could come down and get a souvenir "cookie". Well my young son and many other kiddos would run down. Each time the same adult that I would estimate was around 30, would run down and grab one or two. Of course he did not scoop up all of them but that is not the point. My son tried about twice and after that gave up. I watched the guy and when I saw him come back up in the bleachers I just looked over at him. I did it in a way to let him know he was an arsehole. We had several other families around us with kids that had tried and failed also but this adult just kept running down there. Well after awhile he got the idea that I as well as others were pissed and came over to me. He said "just so you know I own 6 Stihl dealerships and I am getting these for them.". I was livid but I contained my anger. After the event my son and I went down to the meet and great tent. There we talked with Arden Cogar Jr and he gave my son a "cookie". He and the other great guys signed it. They were class acts unlike the POS guy who claimed to own 6 dealerships.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is odd as Mississippi Valley Stihl prior to the Stihl take over treated dealers much better than that. The minimum was $50. So you are saying Midwest Stihl prior to being taken over was charging you shipping on a order under $400? That is not good.
Yes. And that was industry standard for us (we were also a Yamaha power sports dealership until 2015) and all of the aftermarket companies also required the $400 minimum order - so we were used to it. It’s not hard to make $400 in parts orders if you’re planning ahead. Placing an order for 3 small parts? Well, pay shipping. Power units we placed “seasonal” orders for, ordering pallets of saws or trimmers, getting even more discounts on the order.

I’m not sticking up for the current way things are - I’m equally frustrated with it, as are most of you. I’m just relaying my experiences and wish I could be treated the same way I treated my customers. If I bought a Stihl dealer today, I know exactly how I would run it.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. And that was industry standard for us (we were also a Yamaha power sports dealership until 2015) and all of the aftermarket companies also required the $400 minimum order - so we were used to it. It’s not hard to make $400 in parts orders if you’re planning ahead. Placing an order for 3 small parts? Well, pay shipping. Power units we placed “seasonal” orders for, ordering pallets of saws or trimmers, getting even more discounts on the order.

I’m not sticking up for the current way things are - I’m equally frustrated with it, as are most of you. I’m just relaying my experiences and wish I could be treated the same way I treated my customers. If I bought a Stihl dealer today, I know exactly how I would run it.

Yes, the way corporate demands you do. That is the root of the issue.

Look at the hypocrisy........

From hardware stores in California to outdoor power equipment stores in Virginia, each of the over 10,000 authorized local STIHL Dealers in the United States are unique yet unified by two things — they boast an independent spirit and they carry quality STIHL outdoor power equipment. For as long as STIHL has been in business, we have trusted our products with locally owned and operated entrepreneurs who know their equipment as well as they know their communities.

Full Line STIHL Dealers offer one of the broadest ranges of outdoor power equipment in the industry, as well as the ability to service equipment, which is something not found in big box stores. These dealers have access to our full product line, including gas powered, battery, corded electric, and hand tool products and accessories.

That stinks worse than a hog chit pit.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At least when Homelite, McCulloch, Poulan, and Husky pissed on their dealers they did not tell them it was raining like Stihl is doing now

Squish9

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's the same over here. The best dealer I have ever known had his dealer status taken away years ago. He had 3 issues that they wouldn't agree to. He sold other brands (Dolmar),his store location and store size / stock levels.

They are 3 generations Into running the shop from behind their home and only stocked the products they believed in, so would have a limited range from both brands. Stihl wanted the shop to look like the others, be in a different location and carry the full range. I still buy everything I can from him and drive past 4 Stihl and 2 husky dealers to get there because he will stand behind anything he sells.

Now most stores are owned by a few companies with multiple locations. Getting technical advice is just about impossible and most of the time the guys behind the counter have no idea about even the basics

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl should never have crawled in bed with John Deere. Hell many Deere dealers wanted no part of it.

They then went into box stores that had a "service desk". That was a joke as the places only had a service department in namesake.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone in southern Wisconsin remember the shop Chainsaw Barneys in Janesville Wisconsin?

Last edited:

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around here the dealers are getting fewer and fewer. My local one is combined Stihl and Husky. They push Stihl hard with less Husky stuff. Have to order everything and charge customer the freight. It's made me find 2 or 3 dealers out of state.

TheWizard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The internet and easy availability of "any" part is killing dealers. Back in the day we had no option and the dealer was the first call, most are good some took advantage and some down right crooks. Battery equipment has a place but will never replace a "real saw" when a battery tool goes wrong it cant be fixed in the field and often the case these days its throw away... a disposable tool just like a disposable gas cigarette lighter, but it costs a lot more. Dealers here in the uk are charging anything from £75 just to touch an auto tune saw. To me that's not acceptable and will never go to a dealer. In reality that £75 will be a base line fee and any parts will soon add up, will you know if cheap parts or oem parts are used, probably not. And there goes the trust and faith in dealers. I am not say all are the same, some are very good but tarnished by the odd one that thinks money today over a customer for life.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around here the dealers are getting fewer and fewer. My local one is combined Stihl and Husky. They push Stihl hard with less Husky stuff. Have to order everything and charge customer the freight. It's made me find 2 or 3 dealers out of state.
When our local Stihl dealer quit I asked the Husky dealer about taking on Stihl. He had plenty of reasons to say F NO

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There has to be at least a half dozen Stihl dealers within 30 miles of me .I use one about 15 miles away who happens to own the largest Toro/Wheel Horse show room in the USA .He orders parts twice a week from jobber in Cincinnati ..It's IMO a good dealership .
Husqvarna dealers are all but nonexistant .Those parts which I seldom need I order from a dealer in N Carolina .
Other brands,Partner,J-red,Echo etc parts are where you find them which in my case is some where on the internet .

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many of the six are box stores?

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t say enough good about my local Stihl dealer, ran by a man and his 3 sons. Good stock of parts on hand, reasonable prices and anything they don’t have gets ordered promptly, no shipping charges.
Husky on the other hand blows, I like the saws but getting anything for them is frustrating. So they sit on the shelf.
I have 0 brand loyalty, but I am very loyal to people who treat me well

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The story on Husqvarna locally goes back about 20-25 years ago .In a power play Husqvarna said us or them,Stihl .Those who went with Stihl Husky would not buy back their Husqvarna inventory .One dealer who started out years ago with McCulloch/Homelite said he had 60 thousand dollars worth of inventory and was he peeved .So as a result regarding pro grade saws locally it's Stihl .BTW I've never seen a Stihl product at any box stores but I have seen many Husqvarna products .Lowes,TSC etc .

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The story on Husqvarna locally goes back about 20-25 years ago .In a power play Husqvarna said us or them,Stihl .Those who went with Stihl Husky would not buy back their Husqvarna inventory .One dealer who started out years ago with McCulloch/Homelite said he had 60 thousand dollars worth of inventory and was he peeved .So as a result regarding pro grade saws locally it's Stihl .BTW I've never seen a Stihl product at any box stores but I have seen many Husqvarna products .Lowes,TSC etc .
Locally we've got Stihl at Ace Hardware and Rural King. I don't deal at either as I have an excellent independent dealer.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t say enough good about my local Stihl dealer, ran by a man and his 3 sons. Good stock of parts on hand, reasonable prices and anything they don’t have gets ordered promptly, no shipping charges.
Husky on the other hand blows, I like the saws but getting anything for them is frustrating. So they sit on the shelf.
I have 0 brand loyalty, but I am very loyal to people who treat me well
Husky is so bad here that’s my local dealer, knowing I had a small supply of nos parts, asked if they could refer customers to me. Why? They can’t get parts. When they can it is a 6mos wait. That’s sad.

Last edited:

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our local Stihl dealer was a lumber yard until Stihl approached them about selling their products. As their only major competitor in the area, I was more than amused when their technician called wanting some advice on how to remove the clutch drum from a trimmer. He ended up coming to me and borrowing some tools (snap ring pliers, etc), but I couldn't stand watching him mess around with it so I did it for him. We are an Echo dealer, and thought Stihl would be a good addition, but I guess they'd rather give it to a completely inexperienced dealership rather than someone competent.