Full House chain

Stirlinghart

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone ever experimented with having a full house chain with no spacer links? A cutter every tooth. It’s for racing purposes only. 066 with a 12 inch bar cutting 8” logs.
I know in a larger log it would probably have issues clearing the chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone ever experimented with having a full house chain with no spacer links? A cutter every tooth. It’s for racing purposes only. 066 with a 12 inch bar cutting 8” logs.
I know in a larger log it would probably have issues clearing the chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never heard of such a thing.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Full House doesn't clear chips well, nearly stalls a stock PS-7310 with 20" B&C in turkey oak bucking.

https://opeforum.com/threads/first-pass-at-oregon-exl.20130/#post-1048493

Although, it is very smooth bore cutting.

I don't race, but clipping each cutters heel and grinding away some of the cutter from the front may make the chain take a narrower kerf and make some room between the cutters for chips.
This is what I will try on my Full House EXL, just don't have the time to play with it.

For racing with a 066 I think it may be simpler utilizing a healthy 2/3rd to 3/4th worn chain, get the cutters really sharp and set the rakers accordingly.
Grinding the rivet heads and smoothing in tie strap edges also helps reducing drag.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That FH-EXL of mine is on its factory grind, I haven't sharpened nor altered it in any way yet.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
3:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Stirlinghart the guy to talk to for race chains is @Armbru84. He has told me that like you said, chip flow becomes an issue.

I don’t know near what he does but I have been thinking along the lines of more cutters lately and the way I would do it is with .325 NK like the Aussies. There are some here that race, but I can’t remember names off the top of my head.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Full house chain (1/4” pitch) is sold in the US as a carving chain. 3/8” low profile, full house chain is sold in Asia for cutting bamboo.

Philbert

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
6:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a lot of work…but it can be made to cut good. With that said I haven’t been able to get ot cut as fast as my normal 3/8 race chains. You have to get creative to make room. In a 8” log it will be less of an issue than bigger wood.