davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have any luck with the out the box C83 / c85?

I'm cutting the same stuff in Australia and I hate the factory grind. 3 or 4 cuts into dry wood and that beak is all smashed up. It reacts the same as square that's been filed low, cuts really fast in green wood but fails quickly in anything dry.

So much of the cutter needs to be removed to reshape it that it's just a waste of money buying it for me. I have tried and twice now and gave up.

Hexa has been ok but not enough of an improvement to move away from what's worked for me in the past.

I expect your results so I haven’t really tried it. I think my durability testing will be half dried pretty clean Euc.

I only made a couple few cuts with hexa but haven’t had to sharpen it yet.

What works for you?

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got back for sharpening, 2 of the 3 I sent to the firewood yard I do maintenance for. Guy said they cut ok but didn’t last as long as the regular chains they have. Not a huge difference, but some. I have sharpened one so far with a standard 3/16” wheel. That gave it a regular angle so may hold up longer. The cutters got razor sharp…don’t test with a finger 🤣

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What works for you?

The money maker was always Carlton 404 semi on a 880. Went through a lot of rolls of that stuff.

Now I only cut to heat 2 homes and a bit of fun so I started experimenting with different chains. Bought a roll of 36RSLF and started square filing and was surprised with how well it holds up in dry hardwood.

Just about any full chisel works when the woods still green but when its dried out it's a issue. I have tried RS, Hexa, EXL and what carlton call theirs (LM?). They all work about the same off the roll. C85 is great in green wood but terrible in anything really hard.

I might be stuck in the past but I find hook to be the enemy in the dry stuff. If I file them with a 80-85 degree side plate and tilt the file to keep the top plate cutting angle around 60-65 degrees they all seem to hold up a lot longer.

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m still confused on Duke’s site as to rolls of chain. There are several LP rolls listed but click on them and you get a 3-pk…of?
There was a 3/8 skip listed at one point but it, again, lead to a random 3-pk. It is no longer even listed.
Someone there really needs to go through that section on the site.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m still confused on Duke’s site as to rolls of chain. There are several LP rolls listed but click on them and you get a 3-pk…of?
There was a 3/8 skip listed at one point but it, again, lead to a random 3-pk. It is no longer even listed.
@Duke Thieroff

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The money maker was always Carlton 404 semi on a 880. Went through a lot of rolls of that stuff.

Now I only cut to heat 2 homes and a bit of fun so I started experimenting with different chains. Bought a roll of 36RSLF and started square filing and was surprised with how well it holds up in dry hardwood.

Just about any full chisel works when the woods still green but when its dried out it's a issue. I have tried RS, Hexa, EXL and what carlton call theirs (LM?). They all work about the same off the roll. C85 is great in green wood but terrible in anything really hard.

I might be stuck in the past but I find hook to be the enemy in the dry stuff. If I file them with a 80-85 degree side plate and tilt the file to keep the top plate cutting angle around 60-65 degrees they all seem to hold up a lot longer.
I’m with you. Ground this old stihl .404 tonight.
IMG_5593.jpeg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to bring the Oregon .404" Chipper back out of storage now that I grind my chains.
I tried it, didn't like it, wore down one loop and stored the others.

It is a power hog of a chain, I will have to pair it up with one of my PS-7900's.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything ROLL is just the roll, not a 3 pack. We had 1-2 small mistakes that were corrected yesterday.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used my lp3/8ths for an hour the other day , 16" bar on an Echo 330t. We have a beetle outbreak at a park and the loggers left a huge "pick up sticks" pile by some campsites we wanted to knock down into small tractor peices.
Its nice to crawl around a mess with a top handle arborist saw and get the limbs broke down.
The loops I have are great ,its a full chisel lp thats not crazy aggressive ( forester can be) dragging down my little echo, but cuts faster than the danm safety chain or semi chisel. For the price its ridiculously good! , if I only used it for 3 hrs and every loop disintegrated I would have made money on it, but it held up fine in those dirty trees.
Sometimes I just don't need a 100cc fire breathing light saber, and I'd absolutely buy this chain again for my lp3/8ths saws.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to bring the Oregon .404" Chipper back out of storage now that I grind my chains.
I tried it, didn't like it, wore down one loop and stored the others.

It is a power hog of a chain, I will have to pair it up with one of my PS-7900's.
Break out the 9010 👍

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello. I just got a 3 pack of 3/8 24 inch, skip chain 0,63 gauge. From the duke. I usually Sharp the cutters on a New chain, but this was good and sharp Out of the box. I only adjust the rakers a Little. This chain will be used mostley for noddel big chunks, so i can use my woodsplitter later on. very nice looking chain, reminds alot about the husky c-83-85 chain.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello. I just got a 3 pack of 3/8 24 inch, skip chain 0,63 gauge. From the duke. I usually Sharp the cutters on a New chain, but this was good and sharp Out of the box. I only adjust the rakers a Little. This chain will be used mostley for noddel big chunks, so i can use my woodsplitter later on. very nice looking chain, reminds alot about the husky c-83-85 chain.
How did shipping to Sweden work out for You? :oops: