Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got mine yesterday. So, how are people sharpening this chain? Will regular round file or 3/16” grinder defeat the purpose?
I don’t have the tools or the skills for sq filing/grind.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
3:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 3/16” file would probably be close.

A narrow grinding wheel with the grinder tipped way over would probably match up to the angles.

Sharpie up the cutter and touch it a little at a time and adjust the grinder or file to hit all the surfaces equally. Might take a couple cutters to get it dialed.

This is a similar grind but durable since the cutter face is more vertical. Lean it for way so the edge is thinner and it gets faster and dulls faster.

IMG_5331.jpeg

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

A narrow grinding wheel with the grinder tipped way over would probably match up to the angles.

Sharpie up the cutter and touch it a little at a time and adjust the grinder or file to hit all the surfaces equally. Might take a couple cutters to get it dialed.

This is a similar grind but durable since the cutter face is more vertical. Lean it for way so the edge is thinner and it gets faster and dulls faster.

View attachment 407907
I have a bunch of old wheels so may play with dressing one “to fit”
I have switched to CBN but still have the old Ore wheels

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 407907
That is a ugly looking raker!
No love rounding the front for less shock load to the chain?

Cutter looks durable but slow.
I guess You have to make compromises in the stuff You are cutting.
Kinda makes me glad I mostly buck two species, oak and beech - I tune my chains for oak and it just zips through beech.

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got some 3/8LP. Haven't run it yet, but it will be sharpened with a 5/32" round file when the time comes.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a ugly looking raker!
No love rounding the front for less shock load to the chain?

Cutter looks durable but slow.
I guess You have to make compromises in the stuff You are cutting.
Kinda makes me glad I mostly buck two species, oak and beech - I tune my chains for oak and it just zips through beech.
That is an old .404 chain I got somewhere and the rakers were already a mess, too
Low and uneven, probably why it was for sale. The 461 doesn’t care 😁. That grind is dramatically more durable than a standard round hook cutter.

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, played with dressing an old 3/16 Ore wheel and was able to get damn close to the Dukes grind on a trashed chain.

Changed main grinder from 55° to 50°. Any lower and I hit the raker.

May try a 1/8" wheel and drop to 48-45°...but, tdoing that will reduce the amount of side cut.

IMO, it would be a major PITA to keep re-dressing a standard wheel for these chains other than minor touch-up grinding.

Duke’s…you should contact some of the CBN mfgs and see if they can make a wheel that configures to these chains. The trick will be finding a happy medium for wheel thickness hat will work through the life of the chain.

sample chain used is a Stihl comp chisel, pro chain that was too badly damaged to bother grinding :p If you see the rounded point, yup…why it went in the recycle box. I was mainly looking at the profile.
1000003239.jpg1000003236.jpg1000003242.jpg

Last edited:

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sharpened one the other day with the standard 3/16" round wheel and it came out very nice. Will see how it cuts compared to new later on...
IMO, trying to duplicate the original is a waste of time and effort without a special wheel.

drumbum

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More than a few thou at the top.
I don't understand what you are saying.
The top plate takes a cut and the side plate severs it and makes a chip, according to the "bite" the depth gauge allows.

Are you implying Doug was correct in saying the side plate "cuts" down as far as he was indicating?

How?

Not sure I want muh cutters playing a left n right tug o war......

Maybe it is a hi tech chip mulching action that turns chips to dust?

LOL

....no offense intended

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't understand what you are saying.
The top plate takes a cut and the side plate severs it and makes a chip, according to the "bite" the depth gauge allows.

Are you implying Doug was correct in saying the side plate "cuts" down as for as he was indicating?

How?

Not sure I want muh cutters playing a left n right tug o war......

Maybe it is a hi tech chip mulching action that turns chips to dust?

LOL

....no offense intended

I often dig or shave in with the side of the chain when cleaning out a face. Especially with square which works well for it. IIRC in the beginning of the video he shows the cutter profile straight on and the side cutter is exposed outside of the raker.