Duke's saw chain

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've been running 24" loops of the Duke's chain for the last couple of weeks and really like it. It's good chain, especially for the price.
- It comes with a Husqvarna x cut like tooth profile and is very sharp and aggressive out of the box.
- Has the same type of first time using stretch like all chains. Definitely not as bad as Oregon and I haven't really noticed any stretch the second time around on any chain.
- The links haven't shown any stiffness to date.
- The durability has been good. Provided I keep it out of the dirt there hasn't been a single time where I've thought "Dang, that didn't stay sharp for very long".
- I sharpen with a grinder, no issues there. Obviously I can't attest to how it does with a file.

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've been running 24" loops of the Duke's chain for the last couple of weeks and really like it. It's good chain, especially for the price.
- It comes with a Husqvarna x cut like tooth profile and is very sharp and aggressive out of the box.
- Has the same type of first time using stretch like all chains. Definitely not as bad as Oregon and I haven't really noticed any stretch the second time around on any chain.
- The links haven't shown any stiffness to date.
- The durability has been good. Provided I keep it out of the dirt there hasn't been a single time where I've thought "Dang, that didn't stay sharp for very long".
- I sharpen with a grinder, no issues there. Obviously I can't attest to how it does with a file.
Who's Duke?

• Haha
Reactions: Lnk

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Three chains in a pack for the price showing ?
Then that's a dang good price!

Got any pre-sets to match? Some of us might need to make up a different length.
Keeping a lot of different loop lengths is costly for vendor to stock.
But for Dukes price, you could afford to just buy some loops and re-size them.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crank up the oil pump I've never had chain links cease up oil is your friend.
Same here!
Those cheapo chains actually get all sloppy.

P.S.:
I was referring to Archer, TriLink, no-name chains!
Those I have used.

Last edited:

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the profile of the tooth. I've got a Vangard, (wth the dog ear depth guides intact still)
A few years back, I used a couple different round files and tried a profile that looks a lot like the Duke chain.
The upper side plate transitions as more radius-ed under the top plate than the Duke chain as a result of my filing method.
Depth guides were kinda left largely random hand filed, due to a couple of dirt skim touchups.
But It just loved eating springtime green wood, when getting those leftover trash 4~8 inch, sweetgum and willow oaks that some developers leave in yards around here.

Not sure if I have pic on hand still, if I find one I'll post it.

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crank up the oil pump I've never had chain links cease up oil is your friend.
"Crank up the oil pump". Why didn't I think of that? Oh wait, I did. All my saws are at full output, in fact the 500i has the pin pushed in for extra oil. Obviously you've never ran the chain from the ebay seller "lawnmowerpartsworld" branded as "Saw Chain Expert". I tried 4 loops of it and every one of them had links that froze up and wouldn't move. When you can't get a loop to lay flat or be able to push it down on your grinder you've got big problems and the "cheap" chain becomes unusable. Ended up throwing them in the garbage and didn't get my money back on top of it. I guess I just need to start checking in with you when I have a problem since you seem to have all the answers.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"Crank up the oil pump". Why didn't I think of that? Oh wait, I did. All my saws are at full output, in fact the 500i has the pin pushed in for extra oil. Obviously you've never ran the chain from the ebay seller "lawnmowerpartsworld" branded as "Saw Chain Expert". I tried 4 loops of it and every one of them had links that froze up and wouldn't move. When you can't get a loop to lay flat or be able to push it down on your grinder you've got big problems and the "cheap" chain becomes unusable. Ended up throwing them in the garbage and didn't get my money back on top of it. I guess I just need to start checking in with you when I have a problem since you seem to have all the answers.
Easy now… 🤙🏻

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the profile of the tooth. I've got a Vangard, (wth the dog ear depth guides intact still)
A few years back, I used a couple different round files and tried a profile that looks a lot like the Duke chain.
The upper side plate transitions as more radius-ed under the top plate than the Duke chain as a result of my filing method.
Depth guides were kinda left largely random hand filed, due to a couple of dirt skim touchups.
But It just loved eating springtime green wood, when getting those leftover trash 4~8 inch, sweetgum and willow oaks that some developers leave in yards around here.

Not sure if I have pic on hand still, if I find one I'll post it.
Yeah, the top plate profile is very similar to the Husqvarna x cut chain for those who've ran it before. Doesn't come with much of a gullet but cuts well out of the box.