Hand-Filing Husqvarna X-Cut Chain

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It definitely sums up the majority of chainsaw related videos I have ever seen. They speak like an absolute authority on a subject but 20 seconds in, it's clear they have NFI what they are talking about.
An old Saying "Those that think they know it all, fudge it up for those of us that do".

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It definitely sums up the majority of chainsaw related videos I have ever seen. They speak like an absolute authority on a subject but 20 seconds in, it's clear they have NFI what they are talking about.

The tales told on the internet about chainsaws are literally hilarious. There's been some good ones on here over the years.

I've said this before..

You could tell some of these people you have video of their sister taking it asss to mouth and they'd take that better than you telling them something about their chainsaw/chain.

Some of the weirdest people on this planet congregate around chainsaws..I have a few theories why...

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tales told on the internet about chainsaws are literally hilarious. There's been some good ones on here over the years.

I've said this before..

You could tell some of these people you have video of their sister taking it asss to mouth and they'd take that better than you telling them something about their chainsaw/chain.

Some of the weirdest people on this planet congregate around chainsaws..I have a few theories why...
you talking about my older sister ?

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shallow

I think hedgehog said somewhere .018”?

Had a look at the new loop I have and all the depth gauges are between .023 - 024.

So they are all higher on a new chain than Husqvarna's specs call for. No sure why they have done that, the box it comes in recommends 025 (0.65mm)

I have set them all to .025 like I have on the round filed loop and hopefully can give them another try next week.

I still don't see why the factory shape would be any benefit, it looks interesting but when checking everything it's still just a 60 degree top plate cutting angle and side plate angle.

I suspect the difference has come from me holding the file handle down creating more top plate cutting angle compared to the factory grind.

That or the wind was blowing the right way and I held my tongue at the perfect angle while sharpening, accidentally creating the world greatest chain, but that seems unlikely given my long history of f'ing things up.