Hand-Filing Husqvarna X-Cut Chain

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@julie wolf is running Husqvarna X-Cut chain from HL Supply on a STIHL MS 400 and throwing 3/4" and larger chips in soft wood, and we wanted to know what made that happen.

In summary, and for this particular size chain:
- To hand file the top plate, use a 5/32" (4.0mm) file at 25° swing and 5° tilt, pull up slightly.
- To hand file the lower part of the side cutter, file at 30° swing and 10° tilt, push down slightly. File the lower part of the side cutter to be in-line with the top part of the side cutter.
- Set the depth gauges to 0.018”.

For the blow-by-blow, download the attached PDF.
Current revision: 2023/10/24.

Attachments

• Hand Filing X-Cut Chain 2023_10_24.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well done!

I suggested way back that 5/32” might be the way but I never got around to trying it.
Good call. I incorrectly eyeballed it as 2 file-sizes smaller when I first saw it, however Julie and I went back-and-forth on the bench and it is 3 metric sizes smaller than the 5.5mm Husky spec.--which would be the usual file for normal chain, but X-Cut is more like 4.0mm from a round-file standpoint. She also called the top-plate angle as "not 30°" and is right.

It's an odd configuration, maintaining the OEM shape requires both a square file (of which I don't have a set) and a round file. From testing it seems a little speed is lost due to round-filing only, and that makes sense. Jig-wise, changing out files (square & round) and setting up twice per side is a lot of effort for normal sawing, though X-Cut is what I'd call "out-of-the-box beginner race chain" and saves a lot of the work in setting up race chain, so hand filing square & round without a jig to sharpen race chain would make sense.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The baby C
Yup. That's becoming "Internet trendy," YouTuber Friendly, click chic.

By contrast I did some dirty wood and took out two 30° full-chisel chains in short order, but a 25° semi-chisel, file above the top-plate 25% with 0.030" on the rakers that seemed comparatively slow at first chewed everything in it's path pretty quickly as it didn't slow down due to not getting dull--the tortoise won the race. Down the road semi-chisel might be re-discovered "on the 'net" as "the new secret sauce that doesn't dull." ;)

Last edited:

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have yall tried it with an 11/64?

Interesting info

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if filing the top edge flat with a knife file would increase edge support and durability.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if filing the top edge flat with a knife file would increase edge support and durability.
If all we're dealing with is brush, I don't quibble over the top plate edge being a little off/uneven like in your second photo.

If we're falling a lot or bucking firewood, I aim to keep the edge of the top plate as straight and nice/even as possible.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If all we're dealing with is brush, I don't quibble over the top plate edge being a little off/uneven like in your second photo.

If we're falling a lot or bucking firewood, I aim to keep the edge of the top plate as straight and nice/even as possible.
It's dulled. Pic just showing geometry.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not stumps...just Eucalyptus.
Dried eucalyptus?
We don't have eucalyptus up here, I hear it's pretty tough on chains if it's not green. Have you tried STIHL RM semi-chisel at 25° swivel 0° tilt, file height above the top-plate at least 25%, maybe 30%, 0.025" on the depth gauges?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dried eucalyptus?
We don't have eucalyptus up here, I hear it's pretty tough on chains if it's not green. Have you tried STIHL RM semi-chisel at 25° swivel 0° tilt, file height above the top-plate at least 25%, maybe 30%, 0.025" on the depth gauges?
That's correct. What I was cutting was half green. Tough but not too hard yet. Only ran out of the box RM and it's the only semi chisel I've liked. Trying to get oregon close...tilt helps.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Down the road semi-chisel might be re-discovered "on the 'net" as "the new secret sauce that doesn't dull."
I run 325 semi on my stock or muffler modded 50cc mtronic/AutoTune saws, it last two tanks in hardwood no problem, even if you bump the ground or hit a couple dirty spots on a log, full won't last that long