Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
It has a few common parts from the 390xp. Clutch, drum, and recoil. Not sure if the oil pump is a direct swap I didn’t get that far. Big end of the rod looked a little beefier.

the air filter let a few fines by in the tank of fuel we put through it. It may need a light film of grease around the lip. Ala HD2. Saw performed very well. This is a hot start saw. It does get heat soaked after several minutes. Fast idle start IS necessary. That’s about all I got.

thanks for sharing the vids and info’s! Im a little disappointed to hear about the heat soak though. Is it bad like the OG 562 or really not that big a deal?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nobody’s disappointed it’s a strato? And dual port? I kind of am. Is being strato part of why there are ridges in the transfer uppers?

It ain’t no 395, that’s for sure. More like a Autotune 390.

@redlight066 , any muffler pics? Really appreciate your posts. Very interesting.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think those ridges in the uppers help direct the flow, maybe adding some sort of spin or vortex to the air to steer or swirl it how they want. It could even counter the effects of flowing through the tunnels and straighten out the flow.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s too thin for summer use. No tackyness so it flings right off the bar tip. Long term, you will see more wear vs conventional bar oil made for chainsaws. Does it work? I’m sure it does. But I won’t be using it in my saws.

Been using it for 12 years. But it is much cooler here in Ireland and the UK(70*F is considered a warm day and 80F is oppressive according to the locals).
No bad effects. No bars dying early. Bear in mind I think they are required to use rapeseed in Germany and Austria now.
I do notice it flows faster than typical bar oil, and isn't as tacky. It goes nearly as fast as the fuel in most my saws.
5 ltr of bar oil here is usually 12€(unbranded)up to 20€(Stihl). 5 ltr of rapeseed is as little as €2.50. So you can buy bars all day long if you needed to if it oiled like it was water with those savings. I do most of my work on a large estate near a lake and a large river that is also certified organic. So we try our best to keep the chemicals off the property and out of the water.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nobody’s disappointed it’s a strato? And dual port? I kind of am. Is being strato part of why there are ridges in the transfer uppers?

It ain’t no 395, that’s for sure. More like a Autotune 390.

@redlight066 , any muffler pics? Really appreciate your posts. Very interesting.

I dunno, in a big saw with that fat ass strato piston bouncing around, and modern day electronic witchcraft, I imagine it has all the low end grunt you need for most work. It looked to cut as fast as my stock 288 did in that video. I'm OK with it being strato. I would rather strato than AT to be honest.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
288 is a great saw. So is 390. But neither is a 395, which 592 is supposed be the improved version of. It’s hard to believe a saw with smaller displacement and dual ports is going to make the same power as a 395, no matter the electro-wizardry.

I like stratos. They sip fuel, belch fewer toxins and it’s a cool idea. But it’s harder to port them for the same gains. It’s just more trial and error, more variables. But it will be the largest displacement strato to date. That’s interesting.

Totally agree about AutoTune. Especially if they can’t solve the heat soak issues. It’s a complicated system and a barrier to field repairs.

I know I sound like I’m bashing the 592. I’m not trying to do that. I just feel like the most groundbreaking improvements Husqvarna made were in 3-series quad port cylinders. Especially the 395 (and 346). This just looks like they’re fully abandoning that engineering.

But who knows? I was really skeptical of the 462 as well, but they seem pretty good. Digital EPA inspired chainsaws aren’t all bad.

I think those ridges in the uppers help direct the flow, maybe adding some sort of spin or vortex to the air to steer or swirl it how they want. It could even counter the effects of flowing through the tunnels and straighten out the flow.

Could be. Seems like a lot of extra turbulence. My thinking was they needed the turbulence to mix the cold air with the fuel charge. Those are big transfers. They probably push a lot of cold air. It will be interesting to see if the piston windows are timed equal to the intake or slightly behind.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been using it for 12 years. But it is much cooler here in Ireland and the UK(70*F is considered a warm day and 80F is oppressive according to the locals).
No bad effects. No bars dying early. Bear in mind I think they are required to use rapeseed in Germany and Austria now.
I do notice it flows faster than typical bar oil, and isn't as tacky. It goes nearly as fast as the fuel in most my saws.
5 ltr of bar oil here is usually 12€(unbranded)up to 20€(Stihl). 5 ltr of rapeseed is as little as €2.50. So you can buy bars all day long if you needed to if it oiled like it was water with those savings. I do most of my work on a large estate near a lake and a large river that is also certified organic. So we try our best to keep the chemicals off the property and out of the water.
Could be another good thing to dyno test friction loss from lighter vs thinner oil. Eliminate the variables.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could be another good thing to dyno test friction loss from lighter vs thinner oil. Eliminate the variables.

Just be sure to stick with rapeseed/canola oil if you test vegetable. This oil started it's life as an engine lubricant.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remember these dual ports have their tunnels in a different direction than the old dual and quad port cylinders. It may make more power because of that.

881 Is the biggest strato.

You mean exhaust fed instead of side fed? I guess I see advantages there.

I went back and looked at the ridges again. They look like they direct flow towards the intake side.

Haven’t even looked at an 881 thread. I guess I just assumed it wasn’t strato because 661 isn’t. Good to know.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dunno, in a big saw with that fat ass strato piston bouncing around, and modern day electronic witchcraft, I imagine it has all the low end grunt you need for most work. It looked to cut as fast as my stock 288 did in that video. I'm OK with it being strato. I would rather strato than AT to be honest.
Interesting that the detuned 585 is standard manual carb. So it might be easy to swap some parts and have a standard carb 592xp should you really want it.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could be wrong, but in theory stuffers should always be better right? Port timing can be adjusted to provide the power curve you want.
Well it was all the rage many decades ago when engineers discovered large gains in reducing case volume. HP went up, RPM too, they went a bit mad with this single minded theory which led to a 3cylinder 50cc 2T bike putting out some ridiculous amount of HP like 30, reved out to 20k RPM. Only problem was it needed about 15 gears to ride and had a wafer thin power band. Basically nobody could ride it. Can you increase power by reducing case volume....sure. Is it the only way or best way to do it, not necessarily.