High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Is a polesaw supposed to have a fundamentally-different carb setup compared to a true saw?[no H&L?!]

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
5:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
tl;dr--- Is there some special 'class' of carbs for 2-stroke equipment? Am finding my polesaw, an old 'for-parts' pole-weedwhip, are using carbs that're throttling off a cable and can only be adjusted via the cable (IE doing an idle-speed adjustment) but NOTHING for H&L....I wanna, *gotta* , fatten/richen my mix if I'm going to mod the muff&airbox the way I want/the way I do on all my gear but if I can't alter fuel//air ratio on this carb I can't do much can I? :/ Thanks for any input, and I know - "throw it out, go buy lithium" - will have lithium soon enough and can then have this as-backup/rainy-day polesaw ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

So I did a restoration project (snapped-in-half PPT-266, a $600MSRP echo polesaw...seemed a worthy challenge and certainly was!), however now that I've remedied its "real problems" and have done a few jobs with it I am just getting antsier&antsier to mod it (muffler mod for zero backpressure, airbox mod for more-than enough clean air availability) but there's no frickin' H&L screws!!!!!!!!)

Have never seen this, and have a weird "rule" that I won't get a strimmer/lawn-mower/edger/etc (afraid I'd "go that path" and only want trees / large shrub&topiary in my professional life, & lil bonsai when I get home ;D ), maybe it's a norm with shaft-driven equipment? I mean, the only possible input I can see myself having is adjustment of the throttle-cable's tautness (which can't even be 'turned-up' but just 'proper', so far as I can see)

BUT---- while I figured "must be those 'hidden carb screws' I've heard of", however since then I have seen 2 things that seriously worry me there:
1- I've studied it and cannot find anything (by-eye, or by viewing a schematic of this zama carb, an RB-K112), and WAY more-distressingly(since I've been treating the powerhead like any 'ole chainsaw-powerhead!), I just watched a video on usage(by Home Depot) and they're advocating that, on cold starts, after burping/turn-over while choked, that's fine, ***but***........They then say that, after normal turn-over/'burping' while it's choked, they say to un-choke and, before pulling that cord again, they ask you to **full-throttle** that trigger!!!!
2- I feel dumb saying it but I've just realized this engine does *not* have a fast-idle, which so far as I've seen is a universal/ubiquitous feature, kinda figured it was a requisite part of the start process, but this polesaw you simply pull it once to burp it, un-choke and pull a 2nd time and it begins purring, whether it was cold or just-used, it is the smoothest engine I've ever worked with (by a major margin and I have a new 355t..) but this no-fast-idle, and hearing a reco to start a cold-unit at full throttle (this is by Home Depot, in-context of using their rental polesaws, am gonna guess they proofed/edited that properly to prevent massive damages to all their polesaws lol!!)

Thanks a TON for any help here (is it possible/advisable to change carburetors here?? Would love a larger-jet carb in this thing), it runs a bit hot and while I removed the muffler's restricter-plate to try and help(and because I do a muff&air mod to every 2-stroke in my arsenal!) but both to increase efficiency/reduce heat *and* to increase total-power I really wanna be able to do my mods but if I can't richen my carb-settings then I'll run VERY lean and be playing roulette....ugh again thanks for any help, this thing has been one heck of a project and am so stoked that it's held its own through some jobs but not being able to adjust it is driving me nuts!!!

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
FWIW, here is the vid I meant, it's my exact unit(well, 99.9%), vid's url is set to the moment she explains this "start @ full-throttle" approach...

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
here is this service data

Attachments

• echo ppt service data.pdf
    433.4 KB · Views: 11

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
WOW man thank you a million times over, I've got another one of these 25cc zama echo carbs (from a same-gen string trimmer of theirs, a trash/curbside pickup which yes I do if I think I can either salvage the unit or worthwhile parts, in this case it was simply 'tearing-down an Echo' like a year ago and am so glad I saved some of it as I have a carb I can fully dissemble before even touching the 266's)

Have been told there's another way (seems to be a physical opening, a widening from 2.5mm to 3mm of some jet or passage maybe the venturi itself) and that that was the only way, cannot explain how indebted I feel to you for this, not a single powerhead I own is stock there's usually a good ~10-20%+ in a powerhead if "done right" so it's been driving me nuts that my highest-quality engine (the ppt266, thing starts & purrs like nothing I've ever used) was also the only one I couldn't touch, I mean I did mod the airbox already but left the muff un-modded so the air-mod wouldn't really lean things out much as the exhaust would still be restricted, now that I can open-up H&L a lil I can slot that muffler and really let this thing rip I owe you so much dude :D

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Aha ok I see what the other post I referred to meant, it's the limiter-caps' removal themselves that is the difficult/dangerous part, damn I only know the "super-heated metal pin, insert/melt-into plastic limiters, let cool, pull-out" method, gotta say that w/ my 355t it took me like half an hour and those caps were huge/easy to see, removal of these lil 2mm caps is gonna be interesting!!!!

(will say I was relieved to see that, below the caps, it's just a flathead...because my other initial thought was "none of my H&L drivers are gonna fit into this lil slot, once I get past those caps"!)

Is it dumb to think "I don't need to replace the caps"? I could always put some red permatex plugs in if it's a wise thing to do, I just can't imagine removal w/o destruction in this case (am not going to order the tool, paying & waiting, if I can simply McGuyver it out myself right now, of course!)

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As far as the H and L adjustment screws go, the Stihl and Husqvarna pole saws both have them. The Echos use carbs with tiny little adjustment screws
heh funny you mention that as I just posted in another thread Re the removal of these, someone was kind enough to provide the manual so I know what to do, just don't have the special limiter-removal tool and am being told it's an especially difficult removal for some reason (am still not understanding why I can't simply pull/pry out the lil plugs, if anything they look easier than 'traditional' limiters like my 355t had)

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as the H and L adjustment screws go, the Stihl and Husqvarna pole saws both have them. The Echos use carbs with tiny little adjustment screws
They are micro D as far as i know..
The chinese screw drivers you get from amazon do not fit very good at all...
My H het on my 3020t was filled with some kind of poxy. It would be nice to get an aftermarket carb with good ol slotted screws