Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I recognized that being Mario's saw. Lol. It's the only Stihl in your family photos.
He's definitely a good dude! Hope to see him again next time I'm in your neighborhood.
He ain't going nowhere, he'll be here to pour us drinks! :beer-toast1:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How low is too low for DGs? I was using a modified gauge, and hadn't realized I was filing down the gauge as much as I was, since it's hard to tell sometimes when the DG is filed down to the gauge. I compared it to an unmodified gauge. Looks like I'm setting these to .055. At least it's only a 16" bar on a ported 90cc.

20231017_121532.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How low is too low for DGs? I was using a modified gauge, and hadn't realized I was filing down the gauge as much as I was, since it's hard to tell sometimes when the DG is filed down to the gauge. I compared it to an unmodified gauge. Looks like I'm setting these to .055. At least it's only a 16" bar on a ported 90cc.

View attachment 393690
When I got my first PS-7900 (79cc) in 2014. she came with a 20"/72DL B&C setup and at the time I had no longer bars than that.
I found a sweet spot to utilize the PH's power at about .065" with the chain been half worn. The saw didn't mind and the Oregon full chisel never broke on me, I wore the teeth down to nubs.
Just don't cut small diameter stuff and You'll be fine with an hyper aggressive loop!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It did fine in a 15" half rotten white pine log. Definitely put a load on the engine, but it had forgiving torque. Running a .325 9t rim

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It did fine in a 15" half rotten white pine log. Definitely put a load on the engine, but it had forgiving torque. Running a .325 9t rim
Race saw/setup or just for fun? :thinking:

I have a 25" .325" setup I ran with a 9 pin on my PS-9010 - that is a fun setup, but not quite what a 90cc is made for.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both. When I do fierwood I race myself for fun. I'd prefer a 20" bar though, but the 15" or so of reach I get is sufficient for most firewood I come across.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar 099 branded Oregon full chisel 3/8".
Upon purchase of the saw&chain I ground out/cleaned the gullet deep, this is a second round filing and a first setting of the rakers , both with a Archer FastFiler sporting custom made rollers.
This loop bites quite good in barkless quarter dry turkey oak, should be a lightsaber in anything softer!

IMG_20231209_185931~2.jpg

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
2:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally found a grind that doesn’t get into the tie straps or drive links at all. Let’s see if it cuts. Stihl chrome plated .404 after cutting up a fence buried in a huge stump. IMG_5493.jpeg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You practicing for some races, Lol
No races in Croatia, no GTG's either for that matter.
The stupid annual Stihl timber cutting competition is rigged as You have to be a logger and use the suppiled saws and chains.
Just playing, enjoying a fast chain loading a powerful saw in hard & dense Turkey Oak. :beer-toast1:

1. How well does it cut?
2. Worth the effort?

Philbert
1.) It is freaking FAST & self feeding in hard & dense Turkey Oak, it just "falls" through green beech

2.) Not much effort at all as it is a former work chain that started becoming fast and impressive to run in clean wood, it just got/gets a little more attention and is no longer a work chain now

It is "1" very much to my liking, and "2" worth every second of the extra attention it gets! :cool:

I haven't touched my two "play" chains in years.
Now that I have my Maxx grinder I can do some things much more uniform than I would have freehand - like clipping the heels.
Hence the newborn play chain attention.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
11:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No races in Croatia, no GTG's either for that matter.
The stupid annual Stihl timber cutting competition is rigged as You have to be a logger and use the suppiled saws and chains.
Just playing, enjoying a fast chain loading a powerful saw in hard & dense Turkey Oak. :beer-toast1:

1.) It is freaking FAST & self feeding in hard & dense Turkey Oak, it just "falls" through green beech

2.) Not much effort at all as it is a former work chain that started becoming fast and impressive to run in clean wood, it just got/gets a little more attention and is no longer a work chain now

It is "1" very much to my liking, and "2" worth every second of the extra attention it gets! :cool:

I haven't touched my two "play" chains in years.
Now that I have my Maxx grinder I can do some things much more uniform than I would have freehand - like clipping the heels.
Hence the newborn play chain attention.
What does clipping the heels do? And do you have a picture of a clipped heel?