huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep a 36” on a saw, but don’t really “need” it..
I’m at a loss. I don’t know what length bar to put on what size saw anymore. I think I will just start mounting them up at random, regardless of the cc and then go cut a log that fits that bar

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m at a loss. I don’t know what length bar to put on what size saw anymore. I think I will just start mounting them up at random, regardless of the cc and then go cut a log that fits that bar
None of that *s-word matters..
Make power and let the end user figure it out,.

They can just change the sprocket to suit..

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll make it worse. I’m reading about cutting hazardous trees and spring poles n stuff. I’m thinking hmm, maybe a 42” bar super light weight, 3/8” LP on a ported 60cc so I don’t have to be close when it lets go…:D

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's like:
1) I use a 20" B&C on my 90+cc saws for up to 36" diameter logs, I can lower the chains rakers and utilize a 12pin sprocket
2) I use a 28" B&C on my 50cc and under saws for the reach

Crazy world eh?! :p

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No..
But he seems to be getting enough fuel...

And that’s a good thing.
I had the carb apart to get pics n measurements n stuff for @Benwa to make his carb adjustable and I didn’t actually tune it when I put it back together, was just messing around with that short bar. I’m sure my neighbors wouldn’t have wanted to listen to me fiddle with trying to tune the H on that thing…I was at the back fence and my son was doing yard work in the front and said he could hear it echoing up and down the street. :D

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Wilhelm I run 20” 12 pins on 120cc for 9” wood, see above :D

36” wood I run 42”…I don’t “walk around”…unless it’s over 42”…

different strokes for different folks. More than one way to skin a cat… I can see running short bar and biggish PH for hard stuff and I can see running longer bar and skip on a ported smaller saw for soft stuff…I’ve done both to some extent….more towards the long side, need to try more short.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll make it worse. I’m reading about cutting hazardous trees and spring poles n stuff. I’m thinking hmm, maybe a 42” bar super light weight, 3/8” LP on a ported 60cc so I don’t have to be close when it lets go…:D
Spring poles suck. I wish I had a pole saw for them

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spring poles suck. I wish I had a pole saw for them

The Asplundh crew is clearing power lines down the way and I noticed a guy up in a bucket the other day with a longggggggg pole saw that looked to me like it had a separate remote power source that had an encased drive that looked flexible

He was going through wrist sized stuff like he was on the ground with a 50cc saw

My Google Fu sucks cause I can't find any reference to one or even a picture

But man, one slick pole saw

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
like this but looked beefier and stuffs

170928-asplundh-tree-ac-908p.jpg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why use a small bar on a 660 saw like that? I use a 50cc saw for wood that size, and it cuts just as fast...

yeh I absolutely agree, that ft 660 should have ripped through that log a lot quicker.
Shame we didn’t get to see the chips

anyhow he does have a few other vids on the hexa file as well as comparing other different saws,
also a new homeowner saw stihl ms162 where he compares it to a 171 , so he must be a stihl field tester
Edit, this is painful to watch :rolleyes:

Last edited:

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sure go crazy put a 36" Stihl bar on a 70cc husky and stuffs. Maybe make a video for us window lickers