Stihl Hexa file and sawchain

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Given the price of beveled square chisel files, I don't think these hex shapes ones are gonna be cheap!
Yup any speciality file won't be cheap.
From what I gather in my research these hook beaked chains may be the rave now in Europe for pro softwood small stem logging production.

Got to face it Oregon and Stihl have been factory grinding similar angles in their chains for years now.
Recently with Husqvarna introducing the 572XP with the unheard of before C83/85 XCut chain it's easy to see where the Swedes and Germans are going with this design.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The above picture with 3 files was shot in Australia.
Who knows when the Hexa file will be available in North America. Best if you have a friend in Europe is have them send you some.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not really a big fan of the beak and sharp hook that doesn't support the working corner that well. Might be nice in soft species though. While I'm not overly excited, it's good that Stihl & Husky are looking to evolve saw chain and how it's ground.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I'm not overly excited, it's good that Stihl & Husky are looking to evolve saw chain and how it's ground.
Key thing to me was the idea that chains would be shipped with 'improved out-of-box' (OOB) performance that users could not restore. Made no sense to me, unless you throw away your chains after the first use (some do!). I have not used these chains, but assumed that we could match the factory profile with a couple of passes.

This file seems to bridge some of the gap between round filed and square filed chain, which should appeal to some, and the files appear more intuitive to use than some of the square filed files. Looks like a profile that could also be duplicated with a conventional grinder too?

Philbert