~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
linky pritty please;)
ProopsBrothers.com £2.70
I thought that was you selling them at Wonkee Donkee tools?
A guess that's not you Sean.
One file does all.
They have the same size in Course-bastard for the profile for the same price and then you can go to the f4296 second cut for the leading edge only.. which you make low enough so side plate cutting portion is also done with top single surface and gullet can stay cource

- 6" (150mm) square Engineering second cut file, F4296
EBAY from UK
100% positive reviews as to quality and delivery time.
What I like about them is that they appear rectangular. hopefully not thicker than 4 by 6 mm. They look to be just by scaling by the point-handle.
Nicholson has them in true square small sizes (extra slims) 4, 5 & 6mm . at fine tools.com carries them. 4mm was 3.90 euro from Germany and comparable to Nicholson USA.

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just buy a few Bahco files and try them out for yourself Wilhelm. Only real way to know for sure.
Nicholson is out of your back yard aren't they Jeff?
That was always a good day then I could get hold of their raker files on the road. loved them!!

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the idea with experimenting with a flat file and 4 sided cornering file at 1/4" and smaller to see what different angels can do.
The hex will obviously always remain at a set 60 degree apart if you do tweak the top plate
The hex have 2 fresh sides and you would get 4 off the square and A left and a right for each side of the flat which makes 4 again. That' twice the fresh surface but with two files. so its equal..But how 'bout those angles boys? And i hear they are in stores now

ProopsBrothers.com £2.70
They have the same size in Course-bastard for the profile for the same price and then you can go to the f4296 second cut for the leading edge only.. which you make low enough so side plate cutting portion is also done with top single surface and gullet can stay cource

- 6" (150mm) square Engineering second cut file, F4296
EBAY from UK
100% positive reviews as to quality and delivery time.
What I like about them is that they appear rectangular. hopefully not thicker than 4 by 6 mm. They look to be just by scaling by the point-handle.
Nicholson has them in true square small sizes (extra slims) 4, 5 & 6mm . at fine tools.com carries them. 4mm was 3.90 euro from Germany and comparable to Nicholson USA.

I'm unclear on this...

Hexa files are available...? or just standard 4 side regular typical files that have always been available...?
Or both...?

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm unclear on this...

Hexa files are available...? or just standard 4 side regular typical files that have always been available...?
Or both...?
I'm just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat. You can duplicate the hex top angle then bring the gullet angle plumb if you want. The 4 sided file offers more options in angles if one wants to get started. You may find you can't tell the difference in performance between the square gullet and the round gullet but prefer the leading edge sharpened with the flat surface over the curvature of a round file? If that was the case then I wouldn't be running out and buying the Stihl hex personally. As said, you may find you prefer different angles with different timber, timber location or activities. May be a better way than with the hex.

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gee, I'm not sure. I'd have to research more.

https://americanmadefiles.blogspot.com/2014/02/nicholson-files.html?m=1

Not sure if they are here anymore. I think they moved to Sing Sing, NY.
looks like about 2010-2012 when Apex tool group started making them then they soon moved to Cali and shut all other USA factories down and went to Mexico, Brazil, Columbia and somewhere else. Nicholson Canada and Holland are alive and well but we had heard that they were going out of biz about the time of the takeover.

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
#Derail.
There is not a company nowadays that is not part of a huge global conglomerate...
Im sad to say there is not much swedish made anymore. Husqvarna is not swedish, nor is bahco or volvo...

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
#Derail.
There is not a company nowadays that is not part of a huge global conglomerate...
Im sad to say there is not much swedish made anymore. Husqvarna is not swedish, nor is bahco or volvo...

Americans go on and on about how we have let our manufacturing capabilities slip away but it's obvious we aren't alone in this situation

It's as simple as money but at the same time so complex I am not sure there is even an answer anymore