GoldMember
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where did you move them?
"mowing" Yer grammar na77y! 😜

But if we are going to be technically correct, I moved the top of the yards lawn onto a field to rot. ;)

I think I am doing pretty good with English being my 3rd language and not being used in my surroundings at all. :thinking:

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't wear grass 😉 I have too much to mow

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

But if we are going to be technically correct, I moved the top of the yards lawn onto a field to rot. ;)

I think I am doing pretty good with English being my 3rd language and not being used in my surroundings at all. :thinking:
You sir are doing very, very well with English. :) I am totally amazed at the language fluency of many, actually most Europeans. It is quite impressive. I truly mean that. Until I started trading saws with folks in Europe 25 years ago I did not realize how fluent they were in English.

NOTE.... what I will say next is not meant to be political just observations.

Many years ago a German saw collector told me any German born after WWII was taught English in school . I am not sure if that is true or not but I do know the vast majority I have ever communicated with can type it just like it is their native language. Many years ago when I was teaching Industrial Technology I had a few folks in Germany that were messaging me in German regarding saws. Back then there was a online translator called babbelfish. It translated a bit but it was still broken up. I used to eat lunch with our German (language) teacher Larry M. Sometimes I would bring Larry a printout of what the gentleman had said to see if he could dechipher. He really could not because sadly in America we teach foreign language from a grammar standpoint and not conversational. We lost our machine shop in the school years ago so we could add French. The French teacher was great but even when she took kids to France on summer trips they had to have an interpreter.

One of my best friends from school and groomsmen in my wedding married a girl from Germany, took a US federal job and moved to Germany. I will assure you it was quite a culture shock. The last I knew he had moved back here

My point is I truly enjoy reading your posts and I completely respect all Europeans for their multilingual abilities. I do want to learn more about Croatia.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know why they learned English? Because they got support from the USA after World War II and I wondered for a long time why they got it / and now the best 😉 why were we taught Russian 🤠?

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was taking the lower limbs off a broken branch when my tree service buddy drove by with his chipper truck. They stopped, fired up the chipper, and took care of the clutter. Later in the day he came by with his bucket truck and took care of the broken limbs I could not reach. Good to have friends...

20240522_160627.jpg

Mark

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

i think your English is great

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was taking the lower limbs off a broken branch when my tree service buddy drove by with his chipper truck. They stopped, fired up the chipper, and took care of the clutter. Later in the day he came by with his bucket truck and took care of the broken limbs I could not reach. Good to have friends...

View attachment 420451

Mark
And what does he use to bandage these limbs?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You sir are doing very, very well with English. :) I am totally amazed at the language fluency of many, actually most Europeans. It is quite impressive. I truly mean that. Until I started trading saws with folks in Europe 25 years ago I did not realize how fluent they were in English.

NOTE.... what I will say next is not meant to be political just observations.

Many years ago a German saw collector told me any German born after WWII was taught English in school . I am not sure if that is true or not but I do know the vast majority I have ever communicated with can type it just like it is their native language. Many years ago when I was teaching Industrial Technology I had a few folks in Germany that were messaging me in German regarding saws. Back then there was a online translator called babbelfish. It translated a bit but it was still broken up. I used to eat lunch with our German (language) teacher Larry M. Sometimes I would bring Larry a printout of what the gentleman had said to see if he could dechipher. He really could not because sadly in America we teach foreign language from a grammar standpoint and not conversational. We lost our machine shop in the school years ago so we could add French. The French teacher was great but even when she took kids to France on summer trips they had to have an interpreter.

One of my best friends from school and groomsmen in my wedding married a girl from Germany, took a US federal job and moved to Germany. I will assure you it was quite a culture shock. The last I knew he had moved back here

My point is I truly enjoy reading your posts and I completely respect all Europeans for their multilingual abilities. I do want to learn more about Croatia.
Thank You, Sir!

I believe English was taught as a secondary language in Western Germany, and Russian in Eastern Germany after WWII.
In Croatia (or rather Yugoslavia back then) parents had to choose between available local schools to determine the secondary language their kid would learn, either English or Russian.
No idea how that works nowadays as I have no kids, nor do I care to investigate it.

If You want to learn about Croatia do it before the politicians destroy what is left of it.
No, we are not going into politics!

i think your English is great
Thank You too, Sir!

I am fighting autocorrect on every other word when swearing & insulting , but other than that I think I do quite fine with some help provided by it.

Cheers :Saeufer:

BTW, I speeketh Ingrish qwithe swell two! :cool:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know why they learned English? Because they got support from the USA after World War II and I wondered for a long time why they got it / and now the best 😉 why were we taught Russian 🤠?
Germany got "support" from the USA?
You wondered why You learned Russian?

I do not dwell on history past, nor do I care to look it up much, but You made me.

Quote Wiki article:
"...after Germany's unconditional surrender on 8 May 1945, the Allies officially divided Germany into the four military occupation zones — France in the southwest, the United Kingdom in the northwest, the United States in the south, and the Soviet Union in the east, bounded on the east by the new Poland-Germany border on the Oder-Neisse line. At Potsdam, these four zones in total were denoted as 'Germany as a whole', and the four Allied Powers exercised the sovereign authority they now claimed over Germany in agreeing 'in principle' to the ceding of territory of the former German Reich east of 'Germany as a whole' to Poland and the Soviet Union. ..."

It is quite reasonable to assume that the post war West Germans didn't choose to learn English, nor have they been "supported" to do so as You say.
Though it would seem Your post war countrymen actually chose to learn Russian.

No, not going into politics!
This post and I am done.
I don't want any trouble, nor do I care to step on anyone's feelings!
You just caught me off guard with Your comment.
Have a nice evening Sir! 🍻

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Germany got "support" from the USA?
You wondered why You learned Russian?

I do not dwell on history past, nor do I care to look it up much, but You made me.

Quote Wiki article:
"...after Germany's unconditional surrender on 8 May 1945, the Allies officially divided Germany into the four military occupation zones — France in the southwest, the United Kingdom in the northwest, the United States in the south, and the Soviet Union in the east, bounded on the east by the new Poland-Germany border on the Oder-Neisse line. At Potsdam, these four zones in total were denoted as 'Germany as a whole', and the four Allied Powers exercised the sovereign authority they now claimed over Germany in agreeing 'in principle' to the ceding of territory of the former German Reich east of 'Germany as a whole' to Poland and the Soviet Union. ..."

It is quite reasonable to assume that the post war West Germans didn't choose to learn English, nor have they been "supported" to do so as You say.
Though it would seem Your post war countrymen actually chose to learn Russian.

No, not going into politics!
This post and I am done.
I don't want any trouble, nor do I care to step on anyone's feelings!
You just caught me off guard with Your comment.
Have a nice evening Sir! 🍻
Ask a question wiki why Germany received support from the USA 🤠

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You seem to like pushing buttons, be careful.

Ignored, goodbye & have a nice life! :)

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back on the subject of what did you do today. I am working on trying to hopefully send a nice clean saw to a fine European collector. It is late there so it might Friday. Tonight it is time to mow, mow, mow, and when I am done mowing mow again.