High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Poll: Next best aftermarket piston and cylinder

Pick the AM Piston and/or Cylinder kits you like the best. Choose all that apply.

• Cross

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Farmertec

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Forester

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Golf

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Hyway

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Mako

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • NWP

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Unbranded-Generic-White box

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided-any

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Tecomec

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The MMWS 066 cylinders are under production now. So would be here in a couple months. We are also having some of them with the bolt pattern drilled to fit direct on the 064. I think there is one 066 sample left in my office if anyone wants it.
I have visited the cylinder factory and it is very professional.
I don't know about the piston factory that they use. None of the cylinder manufacturers make their own pistons or rings. I have only visited the piston factory that Hyway uses.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The MMWS 066 cylinders are under production now. So would be here in a couple months. We are also having some of them with the bolt pattern drilled to fit direct on the 064. I think there is one 066 sample left in my office if anyone wants it.
I don't know about the piston factory that they use. None of the cylinder manufacturers make their own pistons or rings. I have only visited the piston factory that Hyway uses.
All of this makes me tingly inside, especially that 064 part.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I can feel is my leg going to sleep because the popcorn bowl is heavy. This must be Heavy-pop instead of Jiffy-pop :wave:

RocketRoss57

Taco Bell Aficionado
Local time
8:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Very nice. I like.

article-2119541-05E6DC090000044D-585_468x286.jpg

Last edited:

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
11:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
+1 hyway here.

Though it is a pity can never get any cylinders for the older gen dolmars (123-133-143). Guess the market isn't large enough.

Who does the pistons for hyway? Got a hyway branded piston for an echo cs 1210 yesterday, very NICE machining on it.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, you gotta separate the brands from the manufacturers, and that's not an easy thing to do. The problem with some of the Asian "brands" like Mako, Forester, Stens and others is that they use multiple suppliers for their different kits. Even ordering the same part number can result in kits from different sources. Some are good and some are bad.

Some Stens kits for instance are from Taiwan and seem to be from the same source as the Hyway kits. Pretty decent stuff. Others are Chinese kits of spotty quality. Tilton is actually moving away from the Mako brand to eliminate the middle man and is now offering kits under the Total brand. This has reduced prices somewhat, but the multiple supplier deal is still there. They have a "star-gry" kit for the 262XP; Taiwan made and a decent item. With OEM 262 kits long gone, that is a useful kit. They also have a 254 kit from China that doesn't impress me at all.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will comment more after I get some run time on it in wood, but for $35 for a cylinder, piston & seals, shipped, is insane. (for my 029/390 conversion).

It starts easy, idles nicely, and tachs up well. Compression is NOT robust, but we will see how it cuts. The porting work & quality looked OK to me.

I will give it a workout, the proof (one way or the other) will be in the pudding.

Good to see you post Bob, how have you been?

Like Bob stated, I have ordered two 044 carbs from Huztl, the first one was a ZAMA, and I was very pleased, the second one is a no name and looks like it was made by a 3rd grader, machine marks, stiff screws, etc (have not tried to run it yet, and likely will not).

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 hyway here.

Though it is a pity can never get any cylinders for the older gen dolmars (123-133-143). Guess the market isn't large enough.

Who does the pistons for hyway? Got a hyway branded piston for an echo cs 1210 yesterday, very NICE machining on it.
It is a piston factory in Taiwan. They told me that they make 4000-5000 pistons per day. Very good quality control.

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, you gotta separate the brands from the manufacturers, and that's not an easy thing to do. The problem with some of the Asian "brands" like Mako, Forester, Stens and others is that they use multiple suppliers for their different kits. Even ordering the same part number can result in kits from different sources. Some are good and some are bad.

Some Stens kits for instance are from Taiwan and seem to be from the same source as the Hyway kits. Pretty decent stuff. Others are Chinese kits of spotty quality. Tilton is actually moving away from the Mako brand to eliminate the middle man and is now offering kits under the Total brand. This has reduced prices somewhat, but the multiple supplier deal is still there. They have a "star-gry" kit for the 262XP; Taiwan made and a decent item. With OEM 262 kits long gone, that is a useful kit. They also have a 254 kit from China that doesn't impress me at all.
The only manufacturers that put their name on the box that I know of is Hyway, Meteor, Star-Gry. All good quality kits.
The other ones source from multiple factories. They all will claim that they are the factory though.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I ordered my first Cross brand P&C kit today for a 254xp(new item, I like that it was added to the line up), thanks to this thread and the people's input that gave me the confidence to do so. With special thanks out to Gentleman, Mastermind and Spike60 for their "insider" knowledge that put this thread over the top. A lot of information was gained here in a very short time with the help of the pole as well with all the voters help. The big winner was the Hyway brand in the pole. Some other observations made with the help of all your great comments. The Tecomec brand could be put up there with Meteor and OEM, with Cross either coming in as well or perhaps passing them all in the performance aspect with their new Mastermind cylinders, which is the best thing to come out of this thread. NWP seemed to have a solid following as well. The rest in the "economy" class were just that, I think if a person decides to buy one of the cheaper brands(or no brand for that matter) should go into it knowing that they may have to do some fit/finish work and maybe even some performance work as well before going down that road. As far as the Total cylinders coming out, we'll just have to wait and see. So I think the answer to the question of who makes the next best piston & cylinder has to go to the Hyway brand. Here's how I "think" things shake out loosely:

PERFORMANCE - read from top down

Cross Performance Mastermind edition

OEM
Meteor
Tecomec
Cross Performance

Hyway

NWP
Farmertec

Golf
Mako

Forester
Re-branded
Unbranded

ECONOMY - read from bottom up

That's it for now, as things change, we'll change with 'em.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will comment more after I get some run time on it in wood, but for $35 for a cylinder, piston & seals, shipped, is insane. (for my 029/390 conversion).

It starts easy, idles nicely, and tachs up well. Compression is NOT robust, but we will see how it cuts. The porting work & quality looked OK to me.

I will give it a workout, the proof (one way or the other) will be in the pudding.

Good to see you post Bob, how have you been?

Like Bob stated, I have ordered two 044 carbs from Huztl, the first one was a ZAMA, and I was very pleased, the second one is a no name and looks like it was made by a 3rd grader, machine marks, stiff screws, etc (have not tried to run it yet, and likely will not).
Hello mike.... Have you put the saw in wood yet....I also notice decreased compression.... I think it does go up with break in.... Anyway please let me/us know how it does, as I know I personally am interested in all these AM parts, let's be honest boys they have their place!!!!

While I am on here I just did some business with @Gentleman.... Let me say I will be VERY happy to deal with him agian, very fast, professional, no problems.....l. Good business all the way around!!!!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw runs well, idles well, and tachs right up w/o any smoke. I've only put less than a tank through it, but it seems very fast on small & medium size wood, but on larger wood it looses RPMs easier than my other saws. It is likely due to both the open port cylinder, and modest compression. If I were to do it again, I would plug the de comp hole, it does not need a de comp valve.

Perhaps it will improve a little with break in, but I'm likely spoiled by having my pro saws. In a pinch, or as a back up saw, it is just fine, but it is not the saw I will choose to use.

For the cost, it does well, and would likely be a bit stronger with an OEM jug with higher compression.

ppxstnr

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've used several Hyway kits. Just recently got a MMWS Cross for my 064. I believe Cross is currently the only OEM matching cylinder for the 064. The others have a 660 bolt pattern. The ports are definitely larger than stock. Once I get my seal issues worked out, I'll let you know how it does.

The one hyway kit I have the most time with is the 357 big bore I put on a 359. No displacement change, but the port configuration is that of a 357. Also I notice the squish required a gasket, where as the stock cylinder could have a base gasket delete. The stock cylinder had a gentler torque roll off, The hyway cylinder is Pipey requiring more finesse when pulling on the dogs.

When I get done with my 064, I'm gonna work on the torque band of the 359 .

Edit: I forgot, NWP has a direct replacement for the 064 also. Needs attention tho to get it to stock performance.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a piston factory in Taiwan. They told me that they make 4000-5000 pistons per day. Very good quality control.

All of the Hyway pistons I've put in used cylinders are spot on with original piston being replaced as far as pin placement and dome height are concerned. In my findings the Hyway pistons can be trusted 100% as a replacement.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Gentleman, Bruce, I thought I read who the manufacturer is with this insignia, but can't find it. Any insight?
20170408_210942.jpg

Quality is good, ports are shaped nicely, no bad casting miscues.