High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Poll: Next best aftermarket piston and cylinder

Pick the AM Piston and/or Cylinder kits you like the best. Choose all that apply.

• Cross

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Farmertec

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Forester

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Golf

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Hyway

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Mako

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • NWP

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Unbranded-Generic-White box

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided-any

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Tecomec

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I gather, the most recommended piston and cylinders are either OEM or Meteor. Which leaves the question, other than these two what is your next favorite replacement P & C, as lets say the first options were either unavailable or unfordable for your build.
Let me know if I left out your favorite and I will try and add it to the poll. Also please comment on what you liked about your choice, affordability, performance, quality and other positive attributes.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can vote more than once, you may like some different ones for different reasons, as many as you like. Your positive comment helps as well, as all of the choices have an attribute to them that someone else is looking for.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tecomec is about as close to oem as it comes. Small selection and pretty expensive. Tgen cross, as they got performance kits. They are very good quality. Then hayway they got a great selection very cost effective. Definitely a serviceable kit is what you will get. Others are kinda a gamble and the installer has to eyeball and measure them carefully.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no expert on this, but I think it often will depend on the saw you are talking about. Some companies may have some saws down pretty good, but not others. For example, I have seen good feedback for the Farmertech P&Cs for clamshell saws, and just got done doing a 029-390 conversion with one. It looked fine and I just fired it up today, and it runs clean.

Have not put it in wood yet, and can not comment on durability, but I have seen very bad reviews of this companies products for other saws. I would likely not use them for a pro level saw. But to get a working P&C & seals for under $40 shipped, the price is hard to beat, plus it converts a 51 cc saw to 64 cc.

Last edited:

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i vote golf i have never had a problem with there pistons but others do.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
5:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would be interested to know if the material used in OEM and Meteor piston is the same as in the cheap farmertech pistons.
Meteor's main attraction is not just the good quality, its the Cabers that come with them.

I will use Hyway before I use Farmertech.

I recently used a cross performance kit in a Stihl 076 and the piston and cylinder were of excellent quality and the cylinder port timings were great, however the piston window casting size was almost half the size of OEM and would have strangled the saws power without a lot of grinding.

I also recently used a Hyway MS660 top end kit and it was great quality but the cylinder port timings were way off OEM.
Ran good though. I think most out there would have trouble noticing the difference.

Over all I vote Hyway

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that the ms180 is a saw most of you guys could care less about, but I got one that had a seized engine, but came with a good 16" bar 5-new chains, and some chains for my ms362 for $30..because I am still learning about rebuilding saws I wanted to see if the complete engine assemblies would be a "decent" option....I got a farmer tec complete engine for $40 to my door.... I obviously looked it over good and made sure it was lubed and cleaned up before I installed it....since I am doing this as an experiment I have kept the saw and have been using it to limb with and buck up smaller wood.....I would say the saw has roughly 10 tanks threw it and it has been running good so far.... I have buried the 16" a few times just to see what she has....who knows it may blow the next time I start it or it could be something that would last a homeowner a long time.....just trying to see if the farmer tec complete engine is a viable option!!!'

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know what brand they are but they're sold on ebay by Vostore company. I've bought a few and they're high quality and haven't had any trouble with them plus they're in the US and I can get them usually within a week..

Tried searching for them on E-bay and the web with no success. Can you come up with any more details?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried searching for them on E-bay and the web with no success. Can you come up with any more details?
If you search for stihl cylinder and scroll through them you'll see some that have a "vostore" overlay on them. Not sure if they're either the seller or manufacturer.