Jack’s Husky Infused 440/460 Hybrid

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So lower compression will give one slightly better fuel consumption vs a fully ported high compression saw?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The SR 71 airframe was made from ti because of its strength and the entire plane saw some very very extreme heat.

EDIT:
When an SR-71 Blackbird is at Mach 3, how hot is the airframe? A: At speeds of Mach 3 (3 times the speed of sound) the SR- 71 Blackbird's airframe temperature can range from 315-480 degrees Celcius (600-900 degrees Farenheit), depending on its altitude.

It's not the heat only.

Ti dosent have the stiffness of a steel pin. The heat just adds to the deflection.

The rod ends are case hardened, and the needle rollers are hardened.

As the pin heats it starts to flex. Allowing the rollers to put undue stress on the cage and/or the rollers digging into the pin itself.

Great thread Al

Can't see the compression ratio effecting fuel usage much at all.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So lower compression will give one slightly better fuel consumption vs a fully ported high compression saw?
Not sure it could even be measured? It takes energy to compress the intake charge. That energy comes from the liquid fuel stored an the tank and vaporized in the carb etc...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. I was really just thinking outloud. LOL Trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of higher or lower compression.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
9:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Having a hard time keeping high tune free spooling. Switched carb, drilled jet, raised metering lever. A new line and filter is on its way.

Very impressive, is this a complete departure from what you've done in the past on these saws or are you tweaking a previous formula? I appreciate your time and effort, keep em coming...

Still practicing my Hindi

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very impressive, is this a complete departure from what you've done in the past on these saws or are you tweaking a previous formula? I appreciate your time and effort, keep em coming...

Still practicing my Hindi
New. Never tried the 272 piston in one. Only 2nd Hybrid I’ve ever built.

The chamber was done for the owner, to keep geometry but lower compression for starting. It may be the cause of the tuning issue, I’m not sure.

Having issues holding high tune piss revving while trying to set it out of wood. Discussed with many pros last night, noones quite sure. So far I’ve drilled the main jet, increased metering lever height (too much), and swapped carbs.

Next it’s getting a new fuel line/filter and tank vent. Can’t test till next weekend, no time.

It’s making impressive power. I’m gonna pull the jug to inspect soon. I’ll replace the pin with a cut down stock steel pin at that time.

Piston still perfect. 2 tanks in.

Last edited:

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The chamber was done for the owner, to keep geometry but lower compression for starting. It may be the cause of the tuning issue, I’m not sure.

Having issues holding high tune piss revving while trying to set it out of wood. Discussed with many pros last night, noones quite sure. So far I’ve drilled the main jet, increased metering lever height (too much), and swapped carbs.

Next it’s getting a new fuel line/filter and tank vent. Can’t test till next weekend, no time.

It’s making impressive power. I’m gonna pull the jug to inspect soon. I’ll replace the pin with a cut down stock steel pin at that time.

I have that exact same problem with my 10mm 044 that has an old Zama. hold it wide open and if it is tuned above 13500 it four strokes nice and then starts to creap into higher rpm's. If it is at 13500 it holds steady. The Zama on my 12mm tunes fine. I just assumed it was the carb.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have that exact same problem with my 10mm 044 that has an old Zama. hold it wide open and if it is tuned above 13500 it four strokes nice and then starts to creap into higher rpm's. If it is at 13500 it holds steady. The Zama on my 12mm tunes fine. I just assumed it was the carb.
I’ve got a bunch of carbs here. Weather permitting, I plan on a lot of fuel system play.

The saw runs great. It’s just annoying that I can’t tune it. It’s not runnng out of fuel in the cut, it 4 strokes when I lift it.

I’m not sure what it is. I’m gonna debur/round all chamber edges when I pull the jug to swap the pin out.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
9:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Thanks, I look forward to the result's of next weekend's testing, look's to be a strong runner, especially considering the manner in which it authoritatively pulled the full comp 36"! I love experimentation, trying something outside ones comfort zone, sometimes yields impressive "new" ideas and/or methods. Not qualified to comment technically, but appreciate your effort and sharing...