drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
5:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Building a hybrid for a friend. Even though I stopped doing port work, I still have past obligations I haven’t fulfilled.

The build is based upon an MS440 case with a NOS tank. Glock did the powder work.

Well, here it goes. I’ll try to be as instructive as possible for anyone trying to learn the process. Also, it’s being built real time, so it may not be finished for some time.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is as far as I’ve gotten.

I’ll add for people who haven’t done a 446 build that a few things are needed to build one that differs from just bolting on the 046 jug:

The jug base and tunnels need to be relieved so that the width won’t interfere with the case mounting plate area and the sides. The flywheel also will hit the tunnel if it’s not relieved, so one can sand the tunnel of spin the flywheel on the lathe and take the edge off right up to the magnets.

The base holes need to be brought in on a diagonal to fit the tighter M5 bolt pattern of the 044/440 case.

The muffler needs a spacer. I believe it’s 3/16 thick off memory. There are spacers for sale, but being I was welding a deflector to the mufkin can anyway, I welded 2 nuts to the lower can holes and drilled them afterwards.

The air dam in front of the top cover needs to be nearly fully ground out to the top cover. The stock air dam won’t fit over the larger 046 jug fins.

33807DDD-DD45-4417-AD8A-511E25337AB9.jpeg 60F0EB18-1BB2-44D4-8554-1A25F17DB540.jpeg 5E4FFE7B-6903-4A81-AE53-C77F1550BD51.jpeg 3B057E46-5B5A-4CD9-8E9C-07AB0DC58408.jpeg

Last edited:

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice work! Subbed, as to I've been collecting parts for my own hybrid build. I'm anticipating using a Meteor 460 jug unless I find a better candidate. Are the 460s easier for fitment? This is my first build and I'm in no rush to get it done. Still collecting parts. Most are NOS OEM.

2nd quick question, seems to me a lot of builds use the blue headed decomp valve. Is there a reason for this? Do they leak less?
I noticed your AV mount up top behind the jug is also blue. Never seen the blue rubber before.

Following along this sweet build ........

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice work! Subbed, as to I've been collecting parts for my own hybrid build. I'm anticipating using a Meteor 460 jug unless I find a better candidate. Are the 460s easier for fitment? This is my first build and I'm in no rush to get it done. Still collecting parts. Most are NOS OEM.

2nd quick question, seems to me a lot of builds use the blue headed decomp valve. Is there a reason for this? Do they leak less?
I noticed your AV mount up top behind the jug is also blue. Never seen the blue rubber before.

Following along this sweet build ........
Blue is just stiffer AM parts in rubber or urethane or poly.

Blue decomp caps are usually large Husky OEM offerings with larger bleed ports drilled in them. Some of us modify Stihl or Dolkita decomp valves. I drilled out many.

Looks like a long bar saw with those numbers.
Good stuffs