Post Oak - What saws?

TX Rancher

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I havent noticed any vibe issues when comparing my 044 and ms661, maybe thats just my younger (36 y.o.) hands? Also havent looked at what antivibe is on my saw, came to me with a newer flippy cap fuel tank, so 440 vintage, not sure if that changed anything concerning AV... only time i notice the vibes is when i get greedy on the rakers and the chain gets jumpy in the cut, but i feel that just as much on the spring AV of the 661 as i do the 044 so?
The 046 feels a bit more “raw” to me than the 462 or 500 does. I didn’t know the why it was different really until reading this here. I don’t have any issue with how the 046 feels running, but the 462 and 500 do feel more refined in the hands somehow.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 046 feels a bit more “raw” to me than the 462 or 500 does. I didn’t know the why it was different really until reading this here. I don’t have any issue with how the 046 feels running, but the 462 and 500 do feel more refined in the hands somehow.
Maybe its all in your head? 046 is a boxy workhorse, 462 and 500 are sleek, and pleasant to look at, so your brain says this feels nicer, because it looks nicer?

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe its all in your head? 046 is a boxy workhorse, 462 and 500 are sleek, and pleasant to look at, so your brain says this feels nicer, because it looks nicer?

It’s because the 046 is one of the roughest saws sold in the last 30 years. Only the 066 had worse vibration levels, as best I know of and from what I’ve had in my hands. When an 044 is smooth compared to it, that says a lot. I still own one, but they’re rough on your hands. The 500’s AV system is designed to be so smooth it’s floppy. Current 70-80cc Stihls are also really zippy, whereas the stock 046, even when tuned right, doesn’t accelerate very well.

When a 500 runs well it should do almost everything better than an 046 except filter air and have a feel for where your bar is.

Anyway, I’m glad you found something that works for you, OP.

TX Rancher

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So am I crazy to think the husky 562 is closer to the 046 than 500 when talking about overall feel when taking into consideration its physical size and power? The 562 is working great, I just can’t help but wonder if the Stihl 400 would feel like a more natural pairing with the 500.

Catbuster

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So am I crazy to think the husky 562 is closer to the 046 than 500 when talking about overall feel when taking into consideration its physical size and power? The 562 is working great, I just can’t help but wonder if the Stihl 400 would feel like a more natural pairing with the 500.

Physical size & dimensions, no. An 046 is pretty short front to back for its displacement and a 562 is pretty long front to back for its class-they balance a long bar well and that’s why a lot of guys out west like them for commercial thinning jobs.

Power? Uh, no… Something is wrong if it feels more like a 562 than a 500i. The 500i, 046, 460, 461 and Dolmar 7900 all feel like they have similar practical power buried in a log to me, they just do it in different ways.

A 562 makes fine power for its displacement, but it shouldn’t be keeping up with an 046.

I also probably wouldn’t sell it and take the money hit to get an MS 400. They’re close enough where it probably won’t make any difference in what you get done.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

046 is on rubber AV bushings. So you will feel the power in hand, more raw like.

462 / 500 is on spring AV bushings, that's why they feel more refined.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s because the 046 is one of the roughest saws sold in the last 30 years. Only the 066 had worse vibration levels, as best I know of and from what I’ve had in my hands. When an 044 is smooth compared to it, that says a lot. I still own one, but they’re rough on your hands. The 500’s AV system is designed to be so smooth it’s floppy. Current 70-80cc Stihls are also really zippy, whereas the stock 046, even when tuned right, doesn’t accelerate very well.

When a 500 runs well it should do almost everything better than an 046 except filter air and have a feel for where your bar is.

Anyway, I’m glad you found something that works for you, OP.

500i filters air worse then a 046? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying.

I've always thought all 1128 family saws, air filters have kinda of sucked.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
“Refined” is the best way to put it. The newer saws are so, but it remains to be determined if they will have legendary status like the 1128 Stihl does.

The newer saws are much easier to cut with, it’s 30 years later and the tech has progressed. The only issue is when there is a problem. I’ve never seen a simply designed 044/046 drive someone crazy when it stopped working. No computer, sensors, refined wiring, just a machine.

I do most of my cutting with a 261CM and a 500i. They have been pretty flawless. If I only had one or two saws and I needed complete reliability from them, I’d probably use an 036 and 046.

I’d rather drive my new car, with all of its creature comforts, on a daily basis. However, a 350 chevy with a Quadra jet and point ignition would likely be more reliable for 50 years.

It all comes down to choice. When something goes wrong with the computerized system on a saw, it makes you wish you didn’t own one.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Yep you’re crazy

TX Rancher

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Physical size & dimensions, no. An 046 is pretty short front to back for its displacement and a 562 is pretty long front to back for its class-they balance a long bar well and that’s why a lot of guys out west like them for commercial thinning jobs.

Power? Uh, no… Something is wrong if it feels more like a 562 than a 500i. The 500i, 046, 460, 461 and Dolmar 7900 all feel like they have similar practical power buried in a log to me, they just do it in different ways.

A 562 makes fine power for its displacement, but it shouldn’t be keeping up with an 046.

I also probably wouldn’t sell it and take the money hit to get an MS 400. They’re close enough where it probably won’t make any difference in what you get done.
I don’t think I was clear. I didn’t mean the 562 was as powerful or was close to the same size as the 046. I was trying to say ignoring those factors of size and power, the 562 seems to have closer to the refinement level of the 046 than newer Stihl saws in my hand.

Catbuster

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
500i filters air worse then a 046? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying.

I've always thought all 1128 family saws, air filters have kinda of sucked.

None of my 1128s suck a lot of fines past the filter. A MaxFlow helps a lot, but if I use a standard HD2 filter cartridge in I find the filter works just fine for a day if I knock it out at lunch.

The guys I know that run 500s have to grease the filter base and sometime’s that’s not good enough. It’s the design of the filter base that’s killing these guys.

I don’t think I was clear. I didn’t mean the 562 was as powerful or was close to the same size as the 046. I was trying to say ignoring those factors of size and power, the 562 seems to have closer to the refinement level of the 046 than newer Stihl saws in my hand.

That’s where your mileage may vary. I find the 5 series Husqvarnas to be very balanced, ergonomic and I broadly prefer the way they feel. What I dislike about them is the top covers and the cover mounted side tensioners.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think my 461 is 1128, and it and my dolmar 6100 have similar filters. They are the best factory ones I have found...and those who are familiar know that I have a little experience with dusty wood.

TX Rancher

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a thought that’s been bouncing around my head. Curious about peoples opinions on it here.

What do y’all think about picking up one of the Chinese clone 660’s just for chopping up felled logs? Obviously I like nicer saws, but talking about using this for nearly a sacrificial saw for bucking up big dead trunks. I’m doing this half for fun while also being “productive” around the yard. So it’s not like I’m out a paycheck if this saw went down. Would just use it to save wear on my nicer stuff that I would depend on for more necessary type work.

Anyways, curious how that idea is received here.

bogieboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a thought that’s been bouncing around my head. Curious about peoples opinions on it here.

What do y’all think about picking up one of the Chinese clone 660’s just for chopping up felled logs? Obviously I like nicer saws, but talking about using this for nearly a sacrificial saw for bucking up big dead trunks. I’m doing this half for fun while also being “productive” around the yard. So it’s not like I’m out a paycheck if this saw went down. Would just use it to save wear on my nicer stuff that I would depend on for more necessary type work.

Anyways, curious how that idea is received here.
Go for it, if it doesnt work out, youre out what, 400? For a 90cc saw... part of the fun of saws is modding them... i got my ms661 for free, with the piston in about 20 pi3ces, so i didnt care if i blew it up with some port work, because then i was only out minimal money... would i take a die grinder to a brand new saw? Hell no.... but they are fun to work on when they are "cheap"

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take that money and get the 046 or 500 ported..

A ported 500 isn’t going to be far if any from a stock/muff modded 661. The only advantage I could see from the 661 is using a longer bar if needed.