High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

FarmerTec 660 "Kit" - What's the latest on quality?

Wanab

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I am late to the party but I just jumped on the wagon. Visually this stuff looks good. They beefed up the chain brake handle. The cylinder looks good other than some iffy chamfers on the transfers. Ever the piston and rings look decent. I have one of the newer hyway jugs coming my way so I will compare them.P_20211120_193801.jpg P_20211120_193611.jpg

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks kind of Like a Warhawk cylinder from HL, or a white box chrome bore.

Wanab

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely not chrome. I was shining a light into it. Hone looks good even if you can't see it, I don't like when it's too coarse.

Wanab

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The plating has a very light color comparing it to the Hyway jug. Squish came in .025 on the farmer tec and .015 with the Hyway pop up piston/cyl. with supplied base gaskets. The Hyway porting seems very aggressive and is quite impressive along with the chamber.

P_20211122_235348.jpg

The crank has been updated to a scalloped design. Seals and bearing where installed in the cases that came heat shrinked. Cases had metal filings but they had a bit more after I was done with them so it was no biggie.

Last edited:

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that (as an example) Stihl parts just got ridiculously expensive, creating a market for knock off parts.

If non Chinese companies did not try to "gouge" you, the Chinese market would not be so strong.

I put several MS 440 and MS 460s back in service because Chinese tank holders, plastic covers and Meteor pistons were available. Otherwise, the cost of replacement parts was not feasible.

Chinese saws also provided me with a low cost way to experiment and learn a little about porting.
I get my Stihl parts at the same Dealer as for my John Deere backhoe...after a visit there, I come out in shock. That is why I bought a Farmertec Stihl 440 kit. Prices are insane for Stihl and John Deere. No wonder why the dealership building and grounds looks like a resort with even its own landscaped man made pond! Just check the price for OEM plastic vs Farmertec...more than just a large amount of difference. Clearly Stihl is not interested in selling parts. Plus they have to order just about every part you want and charge a shipping fee even though they probably have scheduled shipments coming in. Unreal...I will go with Farmertec before paying $50 for a single plastic cover.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl's parts prices don't make sense. Some super simple parts are $50, similar, more complex parts are $20, some may be just $5. You can't compare size and complexity to price when it comes to Stihl parts, but they are much better quality than chinese stuff. Still hard to argue with a $200 large saw that will get lots of work done.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The plating has a very light color comparing it to the Hyway jug. Squish came in .025 on the farmer tec and .015 with the Hyway pop up piston/cyl. with supplied base gaskets. The Hyway porting seems very aggressive and is quite impressive along with the chamber.

View attachment 317125

The crank has been updated to a scalloped design. Seals and bearing where installed in the cases that came heat shrinked. Cases had metal filings but they had a bit more after I was done with them so it was no biggie.
I have been reading all these posts and am impressed with the builds you guys are doing but the key thing seems to be how do Farmertec bottom ends hold up. I have owned a band saw mill and would not want to be using any chainsaw to be making boards but can see the situation where it would work out for some. If the Farmertec bottom ends hold up simply by blowing out debris and using wd-40, it looks like you guys are really on to something. If the bottom ends do not hold up than you guys have shortened the life expectancy by building up the top ends...guess we will find out soon enough. Of course we can never be sure is just a few crap out because it seems it is a lottery to what quality seals, bearings, case and crank you get. I am not donating money for Farmertec engineers to buy beer as an option on their order form...they need to be drinking coffee.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been reading all these posts and am impressed with the builds you guys are doing but the key thing seems to be how do Farmertec bottom ends hold up. I have owned a band saw mill and would not want to be using any chainsaw to be making boards but can see the situation where it would work out for some. If the Farmertec bottom ends hold up simply by blowing out debris and using wd-40, it looks like you guys are really on to something. If the bottom ends do not hold up than you guys have shortened the life expectancy by building up the top ends...guess we will find out soon enough. Of course we can never be sure is just a few crap out because it seems it is a lottery to what quality seals, bearings, case and crank you get. I am not donating money for Farmertec engineers to buy beer as an option on their order form...they need to be drinking coffee.
@afleetcommand
How's the one's you built holding up?

Wanab

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

By all accounts the cranks are built like a locomotive engine. With the tight squish and pop-up of the Hyway P/C I do plan to get higher quality crank bearings for that build.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
By all accounts the cranks are built like a locomotive engine. With the tight squish and pop-up of the Hyway P/C I do plan to get higher quality crank bearings for that build.
That is great to hear. I should have assumed with the skill level and experience of the builders on here that they would only build up on good bottom ends. I just was not sure if you guys were building them up to see how far you could go. Seems like for true comfort a set of bearings and seals would be in order. Put your guys top end magic on that and the saw actually should have good longevity and performance that rivals and/0r beats a OEM saw. Of course that is ignoring the cost of your expertise and time. Hmmmm now you got me thinking. To buy another kit or get a whole saw and break it in under Farmertec "warranty" and then upgrade it. A whole 444 saw is only $40 more than the kit.

Wanab

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is great to hear. I should have assumed with the skill level and experience of the builders on here that they would only build up on good bottom ends. I just was not sure if you guys were building them up to see how far you could go. Seems like for true comfort a set of bearings and seals would be in order. Put your guys top end magic on that and the saw actually should have good longevity and performance that rivals and/0r beats a OEM saw. Of course that is ignoring the cost of your expertise and time. Hmmmm now you got me thinking. To buy another kit or get a whole saw and break it in under Farmertec "warranty" and then upgrade it. A whole 444 saw is only $40 more than the kit.

TBH I do not like the idea of the assembled saw and the possibility of lack in build prep with these parts.

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you flush out the bearings and run good oil (I use Saber at 40:1) they seem to hold up just fine.

The one Asian 660 with a ported Cross top end (and Meteor piston) is run hard every day by some pro firewood guys and they love that saw.

I sent the "sister" saw (that I kept) to be dynoed and it made 8.6 Hp with a broad power curve. I love using it for noodling large rounds.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@afleetcommand
How's the one's you built holding up?
All the 660's are still running except for one, got left in a cow barn in crap and corroded itself to death. But for the most part the 660's are solid. The 372 clones that got put into real use ALL had bottom end failures, the ones in hobby use or occasional use survived. But the 660's even survived real production use for a couple of years until the folks got bored and went to new saws...but they didn't die. Could NEVER get the 361's to run right. Trying to rid myself of them. And the big 880 is doing fine, just so big and heavy I can't run it much or my back will blow out I guess interesting enough the opinions I formed back in 2016 2018 haven't changed much. 660's can be made into real saws, 372's good for toys, and I don't know about the rest. Seems like so much is still a moving target. I would stay with 660's should I go back to that frame of mind

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the 660's are still running except for one, got left in a cow barn in crap and corroded itself to death. But for the most part the 660's are solid. The 372 clones that got put into real use ALL had bottom end failures, the ones in hobby use or occasional use survived. But the 660's even survived real production use for a couple of years until the folks got bored and went to new saws...but they didn't die. Could NEVER get the 361's to run right. Trying to rid myself of them. And the big 880 is doing fine, just so big and heavy I can't run it much or my back will blow out I guess interesting enough the opinions I formed back in 2016 2018 haven't changed much. 660's can be made into real saws, 372's good for toys, and I don't know about the rest. Seems like so much is still a moving target. I would stay with 660's should I go back to that frame of mind
Local logger is still running a clone 660
He bought online
Not sure if it's a farmertec
But he's done nothing to it
And it's a well used saw.
I have so many saws that don't get run
I loaned out a few of the 372s to friends and family doing firewood
They'll last fine in that role.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like Farmer Chuck is a little long in the thong. TBH I didn't care for the material the pin was made from and had ordered a factory part JIC. Huztl on the left, Hyway on the right.View attachment 317626
Wrist pins are different lengths from different manufacturers and designed to fit the piston they came with only

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So no 288 clone for you?
I have 3 288s already but they just sit mostly I run 266s anymore.