davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use 28” handles, the guy I cut with is always telling me I’m giving up the extra leverage a 36” provides and I know he’s right but I’ve used 28’s my whole career and just can’t get the hang of the 36”. So fûck it. I’ll just pound a little harder.
I'm with you. 36" is awkward and inaccurate. It would be fun to try the council 6lb fire axe on a straight 28-32" handle. (32" straight I can't find anywhere, gonna have east coast lumberjack make me some)
How long is your stro front to back and how long is the poll?

I was up on a big euc limbing it and almost got my shin @Gullet...maybe wedge pounders should stay wedge pounders haha.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm...can a double bit handle be made to work on a single bit head? Or just take a double bit and saw one bit off for a 'banger, haha!

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I surely want one…
I'm with you. 36" is awkward and inaccurate. It would be fun to try the council 6lb fire axe on a straight 28-32" handle. (32" straight I can't find anywhere, gonna have east coast lumberjack make me some)
How long is your stro front to back and how long is the poll?

I was up on a big euc limbing it and almost got my shin @Gullet...maybe wedge pounders should stay wedge pounders haha.
???
36” DB is really fun limbing up on a trunk. The long handle is awesome for getting around the log.
Hmmm...can a double bit handle be made to work on a single bit head? Or just take a double bit and saw one bit off for a 'banger, haha!

I think if you cut one side off a DB the pole will split. And the head will be pretty light. You can put a DB handle in a SB but it usually doesn’t fill the eye very well. DB handles are kind of flat and slender. Probably not the best for a banger anyway. I like a sledge handle better but it also has problems fitting the eye. I’ve made a couple (2) straight axe handles and neither came out as well as I wanted. I should try again.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I surely want one…

Walkers Saw Shop has them for 200. I swear when I was looking at getting one, I saw that they were discontinued, but I just looked on their site and they still have them listed on there. So, I may be misremembering.

I sure apologize if I am wrong and they still make them.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Walkers Saw Shop has them for 200. I swear when I was looking at getting one, I saw that they were discontinued, but I just looked on their site and they still have them listed on their. So, I may be misremembering.

I sure apologize if I am wrong and they still make them.
How do you like yours?

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you like yours?

It's pretty nice. I haven't used it a ton, but it splits straight grain locust pretty decent. I bought one just to have one, because again, I thought they were discontinued.

It's almost too pricey for me to want to use much.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should clarify that I’m not interested in chopping things with axes,, just pounding wedges when I’m cutting timber. I mean it’s nice to be able to chop good like when you get in a hurry on the last tree of the day and the little piece of *s-word sapling in front of it thst you were trying to cripple up sets back on the saw and it’s too big to push over and too small to get a wedge in, then that chopping feature is appreciated. But otherwise I just bang wedges. I bought an Arvika a few years ago, didn’t like it for wedging, can’t recall why now.

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@chiselbit how do you carry your axe? Handle up the back or just in hand?

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Occasionally I’ll stick it in the back of my wedge pouch belt

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinning down the handle on my old style council faller in an attempt to gain some swell. Thin profile bit one. The handle is loose and a bit short at 26.5” so I think I’m gonna hang my 4lb Mann rafter on it. Then hang the council on a 32” straight. IMG_1129.jpeg

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got 3 Woodslashers (had 4 & gave one to Dan "Woodslasher" lol).
One of my favorite axes.
If you have a modern folding pocket knife that you can take the blade off, a tumbler really cleans them up also & they come out looking badarse!