Axes and associated items

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it 5 pounds? It looks like an older ax. Not something readily available now?

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I looked it up and the new one is 3.5 pounds. I’m always looking for something similar to my Hults Bruks Stro ax. So far have found nothing comparable

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
11:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I looked it up and the new one is 3.5 pounds. I’m always looking for something similar to my Hults Bruks Stro ax. So far have found nothing comparable
You tried other rafting pattern axes?

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been looking at that one for a while. Probably not the best racing axe but would likely suit my needs. And it’s dirt cheap for a racer.
They are harder steel than racing axes too, so good for practice. I have a keech timberman for training that I rolled the edge on hitting balsam fir knots. Nice they made a hardwood friendly option.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have tried older Collins, the new council fallers axes, all leave a little to be desired. What others are out there? I really like Swedish steel but have not seen much available. I suck at the eBay thing.
If you find them they are stupid $. Gotta get lucky at flea market yard sale, etc. I guess.

I have a feeling the hard hit has more to do with shape…

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

41/2 pound head
That’s a good looking ax! Wish it was a little heavier though, right now we are cutting good size timber and other 4.5 lb axes I’ve used felt like I was spanking the wedges instead of driving them. Wouldn’t think a half pound would be a noticeable difference but it was. I’ll have to put my Stro on a scale, it might be 6 pounds. Thanks for the link. I’ll check them out more after work.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a good looking ax! Wish it was a little heavier though, right now we are cutting good size timber and other 4.5 lb axes I’ve used felt like I was spanking the wedges instead of driving them. Wouldn’t think a half pound would be a noticeable difference but it was. I’ll have to put my Stro on a scale, it might be 6 pounds. Thanks for the link. I’ll check them out more after work.
I’d be real curious to see measurements of the stroax too

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Link makes a 28" handle with full size axe eye (both straight & curved) if you wanted to hang your own head.
I have a curved one (a househandle 2nd) & plan on hanging a vintage head one of these days.
One bad thing is, a 28" handle with heavy head, puts it in the "Shin Zone" if for some reason it should miss a target.
Just something to consider.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Link makes a 28" handle with full size axe eye (both straight & curved) if you wanted to hang your own head.
I have a curved one (a househandle 2nd) & plan on hanging a vintage head one of these days.
One bad thing is, a 28" handle with heavy head, puts it in the "Shin Zone" if for some reason it should miss a target.
Just something to consider.
I use 28” handles, the guy I cut with is always telling me I’m giving up the extra leverage a 36” provides and I know he’s right but I’ve used 28’s my whole career and just can’t get the hang of the 36”. So fûck it. I’ll just pound a little harder.