Axes and associated items

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She’s new, but I checked the bolts and they are pretty tight. To me, at least if they do start to loosen, a little loctite and muscle will put everything back where it belongs

I'd sure be interested in your thoughts after you use it a bit, if ya think about it. I've contemplated getting that axe for about 3 years now.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMHO, it looks like A LOT stronger connection than a handle wedged thru an eye.
Cant go wrong with Helko, a proven design I'm sure.

From what I've read, the problem comes from the bolts loosening out and then if it's not caught they break. Maybe the operators were not paying attention while swinging, and didn't notice things loosening up, I don't know. I wouldn't think those bolts would go before the wood breaking, but it's happened. 🤷🏻

That head looks like a splitting son of a gun though.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whale I’ll be. The council 5lb splitter splits green straight grained Euc real nice.

@Ketchup pretty good chopper too with a nice bullet profile…maybe a bit heavy for felling?

Forgot to chamfer the poll and it shore enough ate wedges @chiselbit

28E559CA-FD5F-48DA-A36F-F03817BB808D.jpeg

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…and then last night I went and took some 6”-8” dia limbs off a green Euc in preparation to drop it. Cut some up and went to split with the 5lb splitter. They all had one small knot or old limb coming off them…and were heck to split, like several whacks, stuck every time, not worth it. You just never know I guess. 😆

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody got a recommendation for a proper wide blade felling axe? Mostly for notching large trees.
What conclusion did you come to?

If your looking for a wide bit, Connecticut pattern would be a candidate.
My 4# Mann has a 5 1/8" bit. Lol

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, that burned my whole evening. Great info. Thanks!
It seems my Dayton pattern wedge profile axes chop well and also split some, same with my old Collins (nice double convex bullet profile)...a thin flat cheek profile only chops well in green wood in my experience.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…and then last night I went and took some 6”-8” dia limbs off a green Euc in preparation to drop it. Cut some up and went to split with the 5lb splitter. They all had one small knot or old limb coming off them…and were heck to split, like several whacks, stuck every time, not worth it. You just never know I guess. 😆
@Ketchup @chiselbit the green limbs also hinged and swung more than I have been able to get trunks to...trunk wood is more brittle than limb wood it would seem...?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Ketchup @chiselbit the green limbs also hinged and swung more than I have been able to get trunks to...trunk wood is more brittle than limb wood it would seem...?
Depends on the species but usually things are more fibrous close to a junction or root flare. I love swinging limbs. I just folded all the limbs down a spruce tree yesterday about 4’ from a power line. I didn’t love that.

Thinking real hard about a racing axe. I’m just clearing the notch after making the face cut with a cross cut saw so a fat biter that blows off chunks is appealing… and I want a race axe.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on the species but usually things are more fibrous close to a junction or root flare. I love swinging limbs. I just folded all the limbs down a spruce tree yesterday about 4’ from a power line. I didn’t love that.

Thinking real hard about a racing axe. I’m just clearing the notch after making the face cut with a cross cut saw so a fat biter that blows off chunks is appealing… and I want a race axe.
Ah. I have been using my axes to clean face cuts from the chainsaw lately. 5lbs is a bit heavy I think.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor was burning a little wood this afternoon and had some rounds that needed splittin - he doesn’t own an axe or maul or any other tool to split wood, just gets this wood for free from the brush dump to burn. Anyway, I walked home and brought back the OxHead and split a few up for him. Then I let him try it - he’s hooked. Sounds like he’ll be buying one.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag