X-cut chain

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
12:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 weeks ago I broke an RS chain. We were replacing a sign and had 8x8 posts in the ground pretty deep, so I was gonna cut a notch and put my farm jack in and lift them out. That when I promptly found a lag bolt! Hidden under a wooden plug.
It wasn't my saw and the chain was new so I told the owner I'd fix the chain for him.
Figured it might skip a tooth and put a new tie strap in, which is how it worked out. 3 teeth got the worst of the bolt.
The most amazing thing is that those 3 teeth took a scoop out of that bolt ! A tiny peice of bolt was stuck under the top plate of two of them , after picking it out they sharpened up just fine.
The bolt was probably a soft grade farm bolt but still pretty impressive.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you guys experiencing any difficulties filing it? I tried today and granted , the file wasn’t new but it wasn’t wore out either, and o could not get it to bite in on the teeth. Just skittered off.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you guys experiencing any difficulties filing it? I tried today and granted , the file wasn’t new but it wasn’t wore out either, and o could not get it to bite in on the teeth. Just skittered off.
I'll know soon enough, will report back once I start using and filing my loop.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only use c 85 and this chain is best out of the box.
I didn't even ask for a specific chain type other than it being full chisel.
Granted, the attractive female employee was a fair distraction.
I looked at the chain type/model at home, about an hour after purchasing the loop, she could have given me a bicycle chain and I wouldn't have noticed/cared.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well here’s my latest outlook on x-cut chain: *f-wordabuncha x-cut chain!
I destroyed a new file on a 16” chain today. Never did get it sharp. Damn thing is made out of untouchable steel. Cuts great until it doesn’t and then what? Throw it away? Maybe I just got a f’ed up chain. Or maybe I’m done with the ex-cut chain.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow.
What brand files did you use?

Xr650jkallen

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been running x-cut chain since last November, no issues sharpening with a file. I use Stihl branded files just because they are the best price when bought locally. Now if I could have xcut chain with Stihl oilomatic dimples, that would be perfection imo.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well here’s my latest outlook on x-cut chain: *f-wordabuncha x-cut chain!
I destroyed a new file on a 16” chain today. Never did get it sharp. Damn thing is made out of untouchable steel. Cuts great until it doesn’t and then what? Throw it away? Maybe I just got a f’ed up chain. Or maybe I’m done with the ex-cut chain.
I had a logger who bought a 572 with Xcut chain on it tell me the same thing. He threw the chain away & has been running Oregon exl since.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I destroyed a new file on a 16” chain today. Never did get it sharp. Damn thing is made out of untouchable steel. Cuts great until it doesn’t and then what? Throw it away?
Cover postage and I'll grind it for you and send it back. Then you can comment on 'out of the box' performance versus sharpened.

Let me know. I can even do 2 loops for the same price!

Philbert

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cover postage and I'll grind it for you and send it back. Then you can comment on 'out of the box' performance versus sharpened.

Let me know. I can even do 2 loops for the same price!

Philbert
I appreciate the offer but I probably wouldn’t do it. And I already know you, or I can make it perform better than out of the box,, if my file would cut the damn thing. Ha. But you made me think about it and I’ve got a grinder stuffed in the corner of the garage that I haven’t used for years, maybe I’ll dig it out and give it a go. It’s not a bad grinder, I just file my round chains and use a simington on my chisels. So thanks for that. and the other comments make me think maybe this is just a fluke chain. Oh the file was a Pferd. Which seem to hold up ok,

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a Husqvarna chain, You have to use a Husqvarna file! :p

On the topic of Stihl round files, they have been holding up poorly for me.
I trashed two files filing a 3/8" and a .325" Stihl RS loop the first time.
That been said, factory ground hardened teeth are present on other manufacturer chains too.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been running x-cut chain since last November, no issues sharpening with a file. I use Stihl branded files just because they are the best price when bought locally. Now if I could have xcut chain with Stihl oilomatic dimples, that would be perfection imo.
I was surprised seeing that the X-Cut chain features naked plain DL's.
No dimples, no oil channels, nothing! o_O

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate the offer but I probably wouldn’t do it. And I already know you, or I can make it perform better than out of the box,, if my file would cut the damn thing. Ha. But you made me think about it and I’ve got a grinder stuffed in the corner of the garage that I haven’t used for years, maybe I’ll dig it out and give it a go. It’s not a bad grinder, I just file my round chains and use a simington on my chisels. So thanks for that. and the other comments make me think maybe this is just a fluke chain. Oh the file was a Pferd. Which seem to hold up ok,

Sounds like a good excuse to set it up for doing gullets in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on the subject of chains and without starting a new thread,I’ve been getting a lot of chain stretch lately with both Oregon and stihl chisel chains on my bigger saws. To the point where I run out of adjustment. Have you guys been seeing this too?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on the subject of chains and without starting a new thread,I’ve been getting a lot of chain stretch lately with both Oregon and stihl chisel chains on my bigger saws. To the point where I run out of adjustment. Have you guys been seeing this too?

What bar oil are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk