X-cut chain

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did test cuts a while back. X cut was by far the fastest out of box vs. Stihl RS, Oregon LGX, Oregon EXL, Carlton, and Stihl Square ground chain. I've kept the chain with the same exact test cuts separated for future testing so I haven't had to sharpen them yet.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did test cuts a while back. X cut was by far the fastest out of box vs. Stihl RS, Oregon LGX, Oregon EXL, Carlton, and Stihl Square ground chain. I've kept the chain with the same exact test cuts separated for future testing so I haven't had to sharpen them yet.
I found the same to be true. We both know that changes a lot after you hand file chain. It’s hard to keep the factory grind of the xcut chain with handfiling... and it’s relatively easy to make the other chains perform better with a few tricks.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I found the same to be true. We both know that changes a lot after you hand file chain. It’s hard to keep the factory grind of the xcut chain with handfiling... and it’s relatively easy to make the other chains perform better with a few tricks.
I saw someone mention they had a way to match the factory grind. What kind of rig does that require?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could someone convert safety chain to non safety by grinding the bumper flush with the raker?
I think that there is some terminology confusion here. The reduced kickback bumper is supposed to be flush with the depth gauge (‘raker’). This is how it works.

Grinding it flush with the tie strap would eliminate the reduced kickback protection.

If the chain is properly sharpened, this is unnecessary for most users.

Philbert

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw someone mention they had a way to match the factory grind. What kind of rig does that require?
I’m not sure but someone will chime in hopefully. I don’t own a grinder, handfile all my chains.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

On full size 3/8" I will most likely cut off the "bumper tie straps" merely because of "chip clearance" concerns with 20" bars fully buried in turkey oak, oak, beech.
I will not consciously purchase chains featuring this design after having bought TriLink chains with it, but I would not oppose getting them for free or with a saw purchase.
I only have chains with this design on my 3/8" LowProfile chains and on one remaining TriLink loop (Shark Fins), I will not alter the LowProfile loops, I will vigorously alter the last stock TriLink loop though.

I don't mind the "bumper drive links" at all, nor do I notice any difference in bucking performance between LPX and LGX.

I only have Vanguard loops featuring the "special depth gauges" design, they work fine but again I remove the bent over section to counteract chip clearing issues with 20" bars fully buried in hardwoods - there is a noticeable difference.

But that's just me and I don't know much of anything, so don't take my word for it!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I suppose I should use the Husky tool set to resharpen my X cut chains? Noticed they have a file kit at TSC that is listed for the SP33G.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My loop of SP33G showed up and I hung it on the Echo CS-500P. Hopefully I can try it out here soon. I think I will go ahead and buy the Husky file set for it. Its cheap and my files are pretty old anyway.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just tested a few chains today.