X-cut chain

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've noticed a couple guys I work with hitting the brake right after each cut, stretches the chain in no time till it is sagging off the bar, but they keep right on doing it.

As for the teeth hardness, I haven't paid too close attention to what brands I'm filing, but I feel like some of the new Husqy chains are super soft to where you can fix a rocked chain in 2-3 swipes, but I did run into a hard Husqy chain recently that took 30min to file (20" chain). I was filing each tooth about 20 times, and the file didn't seem to be biting well. Next chain took 5min & was much softer. That file didn't last much longer, but did sharpen several chains a few times, so I got my money's worth out of that Oregon file.

My mom once hired a guy to take down a big dead tree right next to her house. I noticed he constantly used the brake to stop the chain like it was the brake pedal on a car. Also, the brakes on his saws (big and little Stihl, don't remember what models) would sort of coast the chain to a stop and not lock it up like the brake on a new saw, didn't have to pull the handle back to reset either. Maybe he modded them in some way, or they were just that worn out?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heard the other day we are done with about one third of the sale. No end in sight. I’ve been using the Schaffer’s for about a year and it seems to be no better or worse than husky or stihl bar oil. Seems to stick to the chain good. Unlike some of the cheap stuff

I’ve never used either of those for years we ran Durex this last year it’s been Sinclair and I haven’t noticed any extra stretch out of the normal running the saw or the harvester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZukiRyder400

Breaker of recoils
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the original poster is looking for .325 chain, Buy some new Stihl RS Pro chain. It is very similar to the Hooskie X Cut. Fastest box .325 chain I've tried to date. It only comes in .050. It is supposedly nk chain, but it runs in my Tsumura .050 bar just fine.
cd78aac300345156a7123e9d0c4decea.jpg
0c5e25ce0e780d893b4a1ed72fa2ae0d.jpg
1b6a15c806d857d7e76223161477d7bc.jpg
Have you tried Oregons new full chisel, no anti kickback .325 yet Jeff? I always forget the name of it but I grabbed one a while back for my Husky 254 and it held an edge for a good long while and cut pretty fast out of the box.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried Oregons new full chisel, no anti kickback .325 yet Jeff? I always forget the name of it but I grabbed one a while back for my Husky 254 and it held an edge for a good long while and cut pretty fast out of the box.
I ran it on a 550 mk2 I had here. Good stuff but the rakers are a tad too high out of box for my liking. At least the particular loop I got. An easy fix though ;).

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tanks. This chain was actually kinda grabby out of the box so thats why Im leaving the rakers alone
Always good to try it first like you did. You never know with loop inconsistency and the saw your running it on.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran that new Oregon .325 lgx style chain on these two saws last summer when I was testing them in this maple log. I can’t remember if this chain was untouched in the video or if I filed it. Good cutting chain either way. I’d like to compare it to Stihl rs .325 chain to see what cuts faster out of the box.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a new 14" X-Cut in .325" for my PS-460.
I would like to video its first cuts.

What saw should I test the chain on while it is still new factory ground?
- PS-460, stock but turning 15+k WOT no load for whatever reason
- PS-550, stock
- EA5000, XS ported
- PS-6100, MMWS ported

My PS-4600 is not up to snuff, she has a broken chain tensioner and carb tune issues!

Keep in mind that the only logs I have at my disposal are semi dry turkey oak logs.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran that new Oregon .325 lgx style chain on these two saws last summer when I was testing them in this maple log. I can’t remember if this chain was untouched in the video or if I filed it. Good cutting chain either way. I’d like to compare it to Stihl rs .325 chain to see what cuts faster out of the box.
I wasn't very impressed by the two RS loops I have new factory ground, one 3/8" and one .325" - they felt underwhelming to me.

Orangeinthebarn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not liked Oregon's anti kickback .325, it seems ok in 3/8, but this last loop of .325 just cut slow, dulled fast and filed really easy.
Looking forward to the no. of that Husky chain
I like stihl chain in .325 .050. Oregon lgx works good on 3/8 and cheaper

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aight gents does this very impressive xcut chain come in square ground ? The round ground impressed the hell out of me . I would have to say the fastest chain off the reel in round ground i have ever used.
Whats a 100 ' box cost .
What is the jig needed for the usg to grind it ?
Thanks gents awaiting some input

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently put a new loop of Archer .325 full chisel non safety chain on my 261 16''. I took 2 swipes off the rakers rite away and went to blocking up some dirty popple & birch 2'' to 16'' stuff, I've used archer before & have no complaints but this loop was great, it cut fast, did not dull in the dirty wood, went a 1/2 tank before the new chain needed tightening.
It's on the 3rd tank now and still cuttin good, normally in this wood I'm lucky to go a whole tank before need to change chain.

Bryan Newton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently put a new loop of Archer .325 full chisel non safety chain on my 261 16''. I took 2 swipes off the rakers rite away and went to blocking up some dirty popple & birch 2'' to 16'' stuff, I've used archer before & have no complaints but this loop was great, it cut fast, did not dull in the dirty wood, went a 1/2 tank before the new chain needed tightening.
It's on the 3rd tank now and still cuttin good, normally in this wood I'm lucky to go a whole tank before need to change chain.
I might have to get some of that then

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well here’s my latest outlook on x-cut chain: *f-wordabuncha x-cut chain!
I destroyed a new file on a 16” chain today. Never did get it sharp. Damn thing is made out of untouchable steel. Cuts great until it doesn’t and then what? Throw it away? Maybe I just got a f’ed up chain. Or maybe I’m done with the ex-cut chain.
Are you still using the x-cut chiselbit or switched back to Oregon? I’ve had the above issue on a few Oregon chains where 1-5 cutters per loop were like carbide, took torching the next size up file to get past the hardened edge. Then sharpened as usual.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you still using the x-cut chiselbit or switched back to Oregon? I’ve had the above issue on a few Oregon chains where 1-5 cutters per loop were like carbide, took torching the next size up file to get past the hardened edge. Then sharpened as usual.
I think I threw that chain away. I think I’ve got woodland pro/ Carlton chains on the climbing saws now. I get those crazy hard teeth occasionally too, eventually they mellow out. Just piss a guy off