davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was able to figure out how to replicate the factory grind with my USG, it is an odd setup to achieve, I have them written down in my shop. Hand filing will cause it to lose the hook is has with a factory grind, but it still cuts well hand filed, I noticed a little more chatter plunge cutting after hand filing w/o touching the rakers.
Cool, thanks. Welcome to the forum.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was able to figure out how to replicate the factory grind with my USG, it is an odd setup to achieve, I have them written down in my shop. Hand filing will cause it to lose the hook is has with a factory grind, but it still cuts well hand filed, I noticed a little more chatter plunge cutting after hand filing w/o touching the rakers.
Welcome to OPEforum!

Are you going to share that 'secret recipe'?

Thanks.

Philbert

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to use Oregon 73LG on my 562xp.
My new saw came with X-Cut C85 chain. So far I like it.

I have been sharpening both with my Husky 3/8 roller guide which was designed for H48 chain. 25 top, 10 tilt, 55 hook.

I find it interesting that the recommended angles for the X-Cut chain are different than for H42/H48. Technically it looks like I should be ordering a different roller guide for the C85 chain.
df625522ded4f525ef821347dc975151.jpg

Recommended Oregon angles are close to H42/48
b75e75d8063f83f47f480776712b6378.jpg

So far I have pleased with the C85 (sharpened my way)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The h48 is very similar to oregon 73lgx. The rakers appear identical in shape. But the cutter is slightly smaller on the husky chain.DA9009A7-2382-44F6-85BE-C68B302172F0.jpeg I find lgx has a longer life, better chip clearance and more durability because of the larger cutter. Not by much. But the difference is there. As far as what one cuts faster out of the box... I have not tested that aspect. Out of the box performance doesn’t really satisfy me with either one. I change all that after I file it anyway and tune the chain to the saw it is on.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The h48 is very similar to oregon 73lgx. The rakers appear identical in shape. But the cutter is slightly smaller on the husky chain.View attachment 293135 I find lgx has a longer life, better chip clearance and more durability because of the larger cutter. Not by much. But the difference is there. As far as what one cuts faster out of the box... I have not tested that aspect. Out of the box performance doesn’t really satisfy me with either one. I change all that after I file it anyway and tune the chain to the saw it is on. I prefer EXL or RS chain performance out of the box over 73lgx, H48 and C85 chains. They seem hold a edge better as well.
Good tips for guys milling. Less is more

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could someone convert safety chain to non safety by grinding the bumper flush with the raker?
I do that with the cheap TriLink loops I have, they feature more "safety humps" than cutters.

Yes but a lot of work
Not really!
Very easy to do on a bench grinder, it takes a couple minutes though depending how many safety features need ground off.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do that with the cheap TriLink loops I have, they feature more "safety humps" than cutters.

Not really!
Very easy to do on a bench grinder, it takes a couple minutes though depending how many safety features need ground off.
Easier to just buy the right chain in the first place imo.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different story if You buy something dirt cheap "for dirty jobs" not caring what it is and then after trying it modify it to perform a little better. ;)

I like Oregon LGX/Dolmar 099, I guess I will like EXL too.
Vanguard is good, I grind off the peened over racker section and it's a great chain for me.
Stihl RS I am not very fond of, it for some reason doesn't feel right.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Safety link chain cuts just fine if you file the cutters properly to do what you need.
I just filed a safety bumper chain. I was amazed at how well it cut. They were free and came with a saw I bought. Stihl green link semi-chisel.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The only chain I have with safety bumpers is Stihl 71PM-3, but that is rather tedious to sharpen, much less grind all those tiny bumpers. Really I was just curious, probably won't ever try it myself. How does the 3/8 X Cut round ground full chisel compare to 73LGX?

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could someone convert safety chain to non safety by grinding the bumper flush with the raker?
Short answer is yes you can.

As others have varying opinions on the amount of work/time versus buying the right chain the in the first place.

Yes it is easiest to just purchase the proper chain but if you were gifted chains or received them with a purchased saw you can remove the extra bumper with very little effort.

I have been gifted some chains that were low kickback or safety chain however one chooses to phrase it. It is very quick & easy to use a dremel tool with a .025” or .040” cutoff wheel to knock the additional safety bumper off even with the top of the connecting link.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been told If you have employees and you defeat a safety feature on a chain, or a saw or anything really, you might be opening yourself up to liability if someone gets hurt. Regardless of whether it was because of the lack of said safety feature. There. You’re welcome for the piss in your Cheerios