High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

What's your favorite 70cc saw?

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Strange, no one ever runs them against 50cc saws in the shoot outs. II guess that's why I put them in the 60cc class, but they are the best 50cc class saws by far, no contest, many consider them the best 60cc saw. So if they are considered 1 of the best saws in 2 classes then they have to be 1 of the best saws ever I think.jmo

CR500

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've been using my PS-6400 for the last two days.
I just love this saw, sports more grunt than most want to admit.

Is she a 70cc class saw?
No!
Is she as strong as her sibling PS-7900?
No!
Will she cut through a oak knot with her 20" B&C setup fully buried?
You bet she will!
View attachment 46891

Sorry, no video and forgot to take pictures after bucking - but that log is gone now.
View attachment 46895

I lately started to pick my PS-7900 over my PS-6400 for any and all jobs, super fun but complete overkill!
The PS-7900 simply can't be loaded with just a 20" B&C setup, she barely feels pulling a super aggressive 72DL chisel chain.

That been said, yes my Dolmar PS-7900 is still my favorite 70cc class saw. :thumbup:

EDIT & P.S.:
I just realized I haven't taken any pictures featuring my PS-7900 in over two months.
I'll have to correct that.

Throw an 8 pin on that 7900 and play with your rakers. I alway use to set all my rakers even at .025 for all saws. It wasn't until I had some seat time with the 7900 stock that I decided that it needed a better chain. My cutters were sharp but it did not quite feel right.

I just took a few swipes of the rakers till it felt right and it would self feed very well and it was a good amount faster IMO.

I put the same chain on a 562 I had at the time and it was to much for The 562 if I went to apply moderate pressure, self feed was fine it would just load it to much sometimes. I think I am a touch below .030 and it cuts pretty smooth still but not square smooth lol

I am no chain expert by any means, I am trying to file square, but it does appear some chains even in that aspect of filing can be more suited for one cc class of saws compared to other cc classes.

My ported one wears a 20" bar mostly and with an 8 pin and rakers set right for it, it will just chew through anything with a respective amount of torque to spare.

The bigger saws can get away with lower rakers it does seems.

I remember Deets had a square .404 chain with an aggressive angle and he even said it would suck the power right out of The hybrid unless he held it back.

grab a file and experiment is my theory on chains. Even round chain can cut fast once and a while lol
Sent from my non internal combustion device.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Strange, no one ever runs them against 50cc saws in the shoot outs. II guess that's why I put them in the 60cc class, but they are the best 50cc class saws by far, no contest, many consider them the best 60cc saw. So if they are considered 1 of the best saws in 2 classes then they have to be 1 of the best saws ever I think.jmo
Racing is done by cubic inch. 50.1 and down is 3 cube. Up to 65cc is 4 cube. 66-81 is 5 cube. 82-99 is 6 cube.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did not know the racing breakdowns, thanks for that, but 15 cc is a big range. For informal stuff, most people seem to go by "10s", but I see some people thing 50 is 50-59, where others (me included) believe 50 is 50 +/-5, etc.

As long as everyone is on the same page.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did not know the racing breakdowns, thanks for that, but 15 cc is a big range. For informal stuff, most people seem to go by "10s", but I see some people thing 50 is 50-59, where others (me included) believe 50 is 50 +/-5, etc.

As long as everyone is on the same page.
Minnesota does some on the 5s. 45-55 and so on. I like doing it on the cubic inch.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Throw an 8 pin on that 7900 and play with your rakers. I alway use to set all my rakers even at .025 for all saws. It wasn't until I had some seat time with the 7900 stock that I decided that it needed a better chain. My cutters were sharp but it did not quite feel right.

I just took a few swipes of the rakers till it felt right and it would self feed very well and it was a good amount faster IMO.

I put the same chain on a 562 I had at the time and it was to much for The 562 if I went to apply moderate pressure, self feed was fine it would just load it to much sometimes. I think I am a touch below .030 and it cuts pretty smooth still but not square smooth lol

I am no chain expert by any means, I am trying to file square, but it does appear some chains even in that aspect of filing can be more suited for one cc class of saws compared to other cc classes.

My ported one wears a 20" bar mostly and with an 8 pin and rakers set right for it, it will just chew through anything with a respective amount of torque to spare.

The bigger saws can get away with lower rakers it does seems.

I remember Deets had a square .404 chain with an aggressive angle and he even said it would suck the power right out of The hybrid unless he held it back.

grab a file and experiment is my theory on chains. Even round chain can cut fast once and a while lol
Sent from my non internal combustion device.
I have a 8 tooth sprocket for my PS-7900!
Tried it and didn't like it in the oak that I buck about 75% of my saws workload.
To my limited experience round filed chisel tooth and 8 tooth sprocket do not perform very well in knotty oak - thus I just use the stock 7tooth sprocket.
8 tooth sprocket works nice in fresh beech, but I don't buck much of it so I don't bother with replacing the sprocket in the first place.

I do make my PS-7900 72DL loop more aggressive than the 72DL loop that my PS-6400 is a pulling.
She's a big girl and can take the additional load without breaking a sweat.

greendohn

firewood hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or an 044!

That 044 is what convinced me I needed to graduate to 70cc's (+).

A buddy was running an o44, I was running a 2159 (at the time my "big" saw), cutting Hickory. Before cutting with this guy, another buddy's o36 was the biggest saw I'd cut with..and his 036 was always so dull and neglected it wasn't even interesting, although with a good chain, it did seem to out cut my 2159 by a small margin. BUT that 044 !! I gave it a go and a light bulb came on.
I started hawking firewood that winter and bought the 2171. (local Stihl dealer has always been a prick, that's why I've always bought Jonsereds)