Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Toothbrush huh @sawmikaze .
Yea, I pack several styles of tooth brushes in my saw pac. For cleaning filters, and whatnot. Never know when a cutter or logger will run upon a wild mountain woman, so I pack some fluoride free toothpaste for that situation. The last girl I ran into in the woods turned into a full time night woman, but no more. Saws are more stable.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, I pack several styles of tooth brushes in my saw pac. For cleaning filters, and whatnot. Never know when a cutter or logger will run upon a wild mountain woman, so I pack some fluoride free toothpaste for that situation. The last girl I ran into in the woods turned into a full time night woman, but no more. Saws are more stable.
For you or the woman? :eek:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a old tooth brush to clean around the oil cap before taking the cap off.
Works great.

I'd give that toothbrush 2 days at best before it disappears with 5 guys taking turns putting gas and oil in the saws.

Maybe stihl should just come up with a better design.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t seem to have many problems with Stihl’s flip caps. I replace a couple a year. They just eventually wear out and break off. I don’t have issue with them leaking (once in a while).. That being said, when I was working for a tree service, and the saws were shared, they were breaking all the time. I think everyone’s mentality was “not my saw, not my problem” when it came to taking care of them. They got used and thrown in the tool box until tomorrow..

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t seem to have many problems with Stihl’s flip caps. I replace a couple a year. They just eventually wear out and break off. I don’t have issue with them leaking (once in a while).. That being said, when I was working for a tree service, and the saws were shared, they were breaking all the time. I think everyone’s mentality was “not my saw, not my problem” when it came to taking care of them. They got used and thrown in the tool box until tomorrow..

You get it.

They break constantly...or..someone doesn't put the cap on right and there's a trail of bar oil from where they filled it up to where you're standing. It's a stupid ass design. Husqvarna got that right.

So many of my friends with stihl saws in the business will call me and say "my saw doesn't really oil anymore" - I don't even bother looking at the pump or worm gear anymore..I dump some mix in the oil tank and slosh it around for a while and between the dust, wood chips, pine needles and small sticks that fall out it pretty much takes care of that...

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd give that toothbrush 2 days at best before it disappears with 5 guys taking turns putting gas and oil in the saws.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about you when I posted.
Sounds like a personnel problem.
If they cant keep up with a toothbrush, I wouldn't want them fueling my saws in the first place.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about you when I posted.
Sounds like a personnel problem.
If they cant keep up with a toothbrush, I wouldn't want them fueling my saws in the first place.

Well..in the real world..that's what ground men do, and quality help is like finding bars of gold.

It doesn't exist.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You get it.

They break constantly...or..someone doesn't put the cap on right and there's a trail of bar oil from where they filled it up to where you're standing. It's a stupid ass design. Husqvarna got that right.

So many of my friends with stihl saws in the business will call me and say "my saw doesn't really oil anymore" - I don't even bother looking at the pump or worm gear anymore..I dump some mix in the oil tank and slosh it around for a while and between the dust, wood chips, pine needles and small sticks that fall out it pretty much takes care of that...
The place I was at shared all the ground saws, and “stump” saws. Each climber was issued their own 201c and could sticker it up, personalize it, etc. but it was THEIRS. The climbers protected those saws and took care of them. Because if they broke down, they had to use some worn out POS from the shelf... I tried getting the bosses to do that with the ground saws too, but they wouldn’t go for it. I hd my own 201c, and it was great. But when I needed a bigger saw in the tree, I had to gamble on a ground saw that may not get it done.. it sucked. One day I was so fed up, I brought a couple of my own saws and showed the bosses what they look like after a few hundred trees when taken care of - they didn’t want to believe me.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

Doubtful Stihl is too stubborn to admit Husky came up with a superior design.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just thought about the jokes that would get thrown around if I told the guys they have to start taking a toothbrush to a chainsaw .. :lol:

Some here would be aghast at the thought of a used toothbrush being used on their saw when new ones are cheap and plentiful. Nothing too good for their "baby". :rolleyes:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
400- I don’t like the plastic handle. One of the reasons I bought an arctic 261- for a metal handle.
500- substantial cost up front, i think I’ve read about filtration and fuel consumption, and maybe soft av

462- can’t recall anything negative other than concern about longevity since it’s not as heavy built saw as the 572.

572 seems to have great filtration. It’s built for the long haul. Takes real sweet to porting. Only negative is I wish it was all orange. Is the clutch internal or an outer like the 395?
One of the things I like on the stihls is the composite handle, they actually take a fair bit of abuse and won’t bend. Also like the 500i and the stock av will run a 25-28” light bar more than fine and if you prefer stiffer you can buy all the parts from Stihl for like 20$. I don’t have any real experience with the 572 so I don’t know much there. Honestly I think my muffler modded and timing advanced ms 400 would be fine up to a 28” even with the stock oiler running wide open.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Well..in the real world..that's what ground men do, and quality help is like finding bars of gold.

It doesn't exist.
Yeah it’s hard enough just getting the ground pounders to show up sober…C227794B-AC57-425A-8F85-FAB7D151FE04.jpeg
P.S. check into your local jails work release program. Those guys will mostly not try to use that toothbrush to shiv you and usually stay sober until midafternoon.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s an HD2 ………..

Thanks for answering !

To me, both the 661 & the 500i need a little extra to keep their respective covers tight, they’re definitely not the worst filtration systems I’ve seen or used
Definitely not perfect air filter but if it was the worst the tree services first 500i should be long dead since the air filter gets cleaned 2-3 times a year wh
Every saw has an ideal application, I picked up the 500 I had from a dude that needed money for 1000 bucks, it had a bark box and looked like he ran it twice, I traded it to a dude on AS for another 661 Randi ported, I'd have another one if I was hiking all over the place with one saw, no doubt. These people make up scenarios and justifications for owning things that should be on a show about unicorns.

Steve doesn't need a 500i to cut firewood, Especially with what he already has.

I try to give people advice based on their application and use.
i agree on this statement, the 500i is nice but it definitely is expensive and probably not needed for firewood. I like the 462’s a lot had one for a few weeks but the tree service needed more saws and I was having surgery so couldn’t use it anyway, sold them my 462 and picked up a 400 awhile ago to replace it for now. I may or may not get a 462 again and it’s obviously only because I like saws and collect them because I never will wear out what I have. But having a 500r already kind makes getting a 462 a moot point other than to have it.