Which 70cc plus saw would you buy?

kurtz

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got all three of the stihl saws mentioned. My 500i and 462 are ported and the 400 (wife’s saw) is stock. They do overlap roles a quite a bit and the are all awesome. One thing I really like about the 500i is that it’s really nice to not to have to slide a choke lever with heavy gloves on in winter. Seems like a small thing but when falling and skidding in the woods it’s one or two pulls to start, warm or cold, every single time without touching anything but the pull cord. Maybe I should use the primer bulb more but it hasn’t seemed to make a difference when I did. The 462 is lighter though and handles better.

My best advice to the OP is to get to a gtg and run all of the candidates. The next best option is just buy one and run it. If you don’t like it sell it and buy a different one. You won’t lose much on resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got all three of the stihl saws mentioned. My 500i and 462 are ported and the 400 (wife’s saw) is stock. They do overlap roles a quite a bit and the are all awesome. One thing I really like about the 500i is that it’s really nice to not to have to slide a choke lever with heavy gloves on in winter. Seems like a small thing but when falling and skidding in the woods it’s one or two pulls to start, warm or cold, every single time without touching anything but the pull cord. Maybe I should use the primer bulb more but it hasn’t seemed to make a difference when I did. The 462 is lighter though and handles better.

My best advice to the OP is to get to a gtg and run all of the candidates. The next best option is just buy one and run it. If you don’t like it sell it and buy a different one. You won’t lose much on resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about the 400 vs the 462?

Reactions: Lnk

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mostly just cleanup. I’ll have a 500 for the big stuff. And a 362 for smaller.
If you have those two saws, I would send the 362 off to get ported, and you will have a saw that will outclass a stock 400 for a lot less than buying another saw.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have those two saws, I would send the 362 off to get ported, and you will have a saw that will outclass a stock 400 for a lot less than buying another saw.

This seems to actually be good advice, but I thought encouraging chainsaw hoarding was promoted around here? Shouldn't he just get more saws? Never enough saws! :)

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Mostly just cleanup. I’ll have a 500 for the big stuff. And a 362 for smaller.

I agree with Greg this makes the most sense. A stock 400 won’t do anything a ported 362 would. Now if you bought the 400 and sold the 362 to offset costs that could work too. Really depends on your budget. Me I’d get the 400 and have it ported, but I never liked the 362. I just doesn’t fit in my lineup. Then I’d get a 261. Then I get a hot 7910 just because they are awesome… Then you need a 395 for the really big stuff. You see where this is going.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with Greg this makes the most sense. A stock 400 won’t do anything a ported 362 would. Now if you bought the 400 and sold the 362 to offset costs that could work too. Really depends on your budget. Me I’d get the 400 and have it ported, but I never liked the 362. I just doesn’t fit in my lineup. Then I’d get a 261. Then I get a hot 7910 just because they are awesome… Then you need a 395 for the really big stuff. You see where this is going.
Leads to the 10 saw plan in a hurry

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leads to the 10 saw plan in a hurry
Well you gotta have a spare in every cc class. Two is one and one is none after all. I’m probably on my way to the 20 saw plan, but at least I have the excuse that they put food on the table.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Phew, I'm relieved! This is the chainsaw hoarding promotion I expect around here! The universe is normal again. Breathing easier. :)

I would get a 261 though. Terrific firewood saw.

The 3 saw plan. Just 3. That's it. Really. Honest.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind perhaps you need to rent out saws instead of pigs....people could satisfy their curiosity about how good a saw is. I'm not sure I would rent one to @redline4 though

It’s not that Ed would put his dick beaters on the saw the problem is they are freshly used dick beaters and that shít isn’t just going to buff out.