huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, why did Husqy go the way of Stihl by putting their decomp buttons on top? I liked them on the side. No risk of it dropping in, and the hole gets covered near the top of the stroke, so you get a little compression pop, which in my opinion makes starting a lot easier. I don't like the blow/suck feel of the top decomp engines. Maybe that's just due to oversized holes in the valve.
The top decomp models don’t have the oversized holes like the side decomps do

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A decomp valve should never cause an air leak (while running) in a saw. I call BS on that theory.

And the OEM ones are designed to not drop the stem into the cylinder, unlike the cheap AM ones.

Please explain how they cause a vacuum leak to me if you are fond of that theory.

I prefer them in every single saw. Nice to have the option, especially once ported.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It depends on the designs. Most newer saws gain less than older models. The manufacturers figured out a lot of stuff over the years.

When a saw gets ported, we are just trading certain traits away for others. We sacrifice noise, fuel economy, emissions, and/or reliability for more power. If anyone thinks they can beat the Billion dollar OEM manufacturers at their own game from their basement they are certainly fools.

I’ve only done one 620 and the guy is pretty happy with it. I found it needed better air filtration and a gutted muffler with a larger factory opening to not be held back. Ran pretty well and had a good low end for a saw of it’s size.

really? where was the first engine made?
where did the light bulb come from?
the billion-dollar oem manufactures have only improved what someone did in their little shops.
who do you think comes up with these idea's?
the strato engine was thought up by a guy in his little shop, made a blueprint of his idea and patented it. the oem's bought the rights to use it.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the billion-dollar oem manufactures have only improved what someone did in their little shops.
the strato engine was thought up by a guy in his little shop, made a blueprint of his idea and patented it. the oem's bought the rights to use it.

“If anyone thinks they can beat the Billion dollar OEM manufacturers at their own game from their basement they are certainly fools.”
I’m with Doc on this one...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lnk

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
“If anyone thinks they can beat the Billion dollar OEM manufacturers at their own game from their basement they are certainly fools.”
I’m with Doc on this one...
Basement dwellers do not have some of the limitations the mfrs do. Obv…the porters are turning out new saws that run better than they did from the factory.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Billion dollar companies buy and/or steal ideas from people. They'll hire people to figure stuff out when they have to, but they'd rather take the easy way. They have money and can capitalize on new ideas. Tree Monkey is right.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i work for one of those billion dollar companies and we dont have a product that we make or sell. we have a service and they will and do anything they want to to make as much money as possible including telling their customers no we wont do that gfy

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Apples to oranges.

Classic David vs Goliath.

Did I say innovation could only occur in Billion dollar companies? I think not.

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Billion dollar companies buy and/or steal ideas from people. They'll hire people to figure stuff out when they have to, but they'd rather take the easy way. They have money and can capitalize on new ideas. Tree Monkey is right.
If anyone thinks that there aren’t lookers on here from Stihl or Husqvarna, you’re living under a rock. You don’t even need to be a member to google topics and view it. Of course they have millions of dollars and huge research facilities to test, but what porters do does not go unnoticed.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone thinks that there aren’t lookers on here from Stihl or Husqvarna, you’re living under a rock. You don’t even need to be a member to google topics and view it. Of course they have millions of dollars and huge research facilities to test, but what porters do does not go unnoticed.

exactly, the little guys in small shops have always been ahead of the manufacturer.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

There was fella from Germany(Stihl) on here, he posted a pic of his bench. He used to follow the porting threads right along, then he disappeared and a while after that the 462 was introduced(Factory Hot Rod).
I don't think you need much more of a crumb trail to put two and two together and come up with four here.
First thing I said when I first laid eyes on the insides of a cylinder, "they been cheating on us".

Being fairly impressed I saved a copy of his workbench pic.
open_s_3.1.jpg

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was fella from Germany(Stihl) on here, he posted a pic of his bench. He used to follow the porting threads right along, then he disappeared and a while after that the 462 was introduced(Factory Hot Rod).
I don't think you need much more of a crumb trail to put two and two together and come up with four here.
First thing I said when I first laid eyes on the insides of a cylinder, "they been cheating on us".

View attachment 360592
And that’s exactly what I meant by that post. I’m all for it though - if they can learn something here, let ‘em! Now in a perfect world, they would contact their favorite porter, and pay for some royalties or offer them a job. But let’s be real: they are going to gain what they can for free, and continue to make their stuff better and continue to make more money..

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 360592
that's a really clean and well organized work bench