huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was fella from Germany(Stihl) on here, he posted a pic of his bench. He used to follow the porting threads right along, then he disappeared and a while after that the 462 was introduced(Factory Hot Rod).
I don't think you need much more of a crumb trail to put two and two together and come up with four here.
First thing I said when I first laid eyes on the insides of a cylinder, "they been cheating on us".

Being fairly impressed I saved a copy of his workbench pic.
View attachment 360592
Pantellis

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The small guys have been ahead, but always get taken advantage of. I wouldn't be surprised if the big guys were ordering saws from top porters and putting 2 and 2 together. That's what happens in any other industry. Espionage is everywhere. Look at how well the newer saws run. Chainsaw tech has primarily come from the guys who work on em and come up with new ideas.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was fella from Germany(Stihl) on here, he posted a pic of his bench. He used to follow the porting threads right along, then he disappeared and a while after that the 462 was introduced(Factory Hot Rod).
I don't think you need much more of a crumb trail to put two and two together and come up with four here.
First thing I said when I first laid eyes on the insides of a cylinder, "they been cheating on us".

View attachment 360592
Wow…yeah that’s not your average workbench. That’s a corporate workbench lol.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t forget the ability of the Government to restrict everything. A lot of stuff could be made better without EPA restrictions.
It’s one of the things we undo, like noise restrictions. That was my point. I have no doubt that they take collective information and repackage it as their own. They have tools and facilities that are unobtanium for us. Sticking a few of the top porters in Stihl’s facilities and letting them loose wouldn’t be the worse thing for Corporate Stihl.

View attachment 360592
Damn that’s beautiful. Where the hell does he put his beer?

LMAO.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... by a well known porter and it really didnt have that wow factor. (Not from this forum and dont want to say who. Not trying to run anyone down)

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Do you research ... then more research ... then even more research.

Everyone on the internet claims to be Albert Einstein, the know it all of know it alls!

Do more research .. are they that good because they say so ... because they have a product to sell ... or a reputation to stand on?

Some people from this forum got burned by the so called "well known porters" on the outside.

They were hesitant to speak about is or mention who it was.

The Dirty Dozen - about 12 supreme builders from here had to step in a fix a bad brake job.

Do even more research ... ask around ... was it bad gas, dull chain, ... or a hacked up build?

If you look into the past, we expose them once in a while ... causing them to go completely ballistic on their channels.

Two such characters come to mind, both were going after Randy @Mastermind like you would not believe.

One such character was mentioned in this thread.

The other - pulled the plug and after quietly bashing us, took the bashing video down, and closed his channel.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who was that? I'm not much of a saw video guy.

I've watched a bunched of Ken Blocks videos though. :(

Randy, the guy from down south, who thought he was going to be the Big Boss Administrator.

You set the record straight why he acted the way he did.

Don't want to mention his name, no need to promote these silly characters.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, the guy from down south, who thought he was going to be the Big Boss Administrator.

You set the record straight why he acted the way he did.

Don't want to mention his name, no need to promote these silly characters.

There's been so many that I don't remember who that could be. That's probably for the best too.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind we called him the "K" man from down south in Louisiana, he was tied in with the other character that was mentioned/pictured here in this thread. The guy who did not get the Big Boss Administrator master boot button, hew was pissed and tried to turn in on US here, till you told us why he behaved how he did. He also tried to stand up for his other buddy who pictured here, I believe got so livid that he no longer could sell his hacked up jobs to unsuspecting people.

Back to the topic:

I expect it to start easily and re-start easily, I don't want my rings hanging, and expect it to pull more than a stock saw.

Attention to detail, some builders just hack it up, put it together and send it off.

That's where the research comes in.

I have more respect for someone that tells me this is my limit and what you are asking, I will have to refer to another builder.

Then you get into a situation where a particular personality is talking down a saw that was incorrectly build.

Not the fault of the saw, more the builder's ego got in the way.

Now that same builder may have build another class of saw, and that saw gets nothing but praise from a very respectful logger.

Opinions are like poop, it's your responsibility to do even more research.

NorcalFlyingsquirrel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i was always curious what to expect from a ported saw. I dont have one myself but got a chance to run one the other day done by a well known porter and it really didnt have that wow factor. (Not from this forum and dont want to say who. Not trying to run anyone down)
I always kinda thought like a 50cc be like a 60 and 60 be like 70 and so on.
Maybe some saws have better gains then others?

A bigger pecker and danglier bawls!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i was always curious what to expect from a ported saw. I dont have one myself but got a chance to run one the other day done by a well known porter and it really didnt have that wow factor. (Not from this forum and dont want to say who. Not trying to run anyone down)
I always kinda thought like a 50cc be like a 60 and 60 be like 70 and so on.
Maybe some saws have better gains then others?

Power

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my uneducated opinion, the best port jobs are done by the older fellers who have spent decades porting saws exclusively for left coast timber fallers as well as racing saws. I ran ms660s from Phil's Saw Shop in Florence OR. He builds saws that have it all. Easy to start, lots of torque, more rpm, loaded rpm, not free Rev rpm.

A lot of "work saw" port jobs I've seen are basically more rpm, but not a whole lot of ability to hold it in the cut. That isn't all that useful, especially when the low end is diminished. A lot of them tune the high speed circuit for cookie cutting, which is too lean for 30 hrs of production every week.
The talented guys will not only gain some rpm, but they will make the low end much stronger. Spin the clutch strong.
And they manage those results without doing a whole lot of work.
I still have a low hour 660 from Phil that I bought just before going to be a family caretaker.

The difference over stock feels like 50%.
A friend swears by a guy in Nocal, last saw of his I ran was an ms460 that would scream with rpm, and hold it in the cut. That saw would smoke a clutch as well. All while being rich enough to last a while. Duane fires his saws first thing in the AM by letting them run WOT for about 10 seconds. Didn't hurt those 460s a bit.
Thats a good running saw..

To me it boils down to who the clientele base is.
If the majority of a guy's customers are not professional timber fallers, then the overall consensus on performance might not be terribly accurate.

I had an experience where I was lent a "ported" 394. Well, this ported 394 struggled to pull 105 drivers of razor sharp 75cj through white pine...
I never opened the saw, but I'd bet a lot that all it had done to it was a muffler mod. I know I couldn't turn up the high speed due to running clear, aka no porting, worn out, too.
The guy who supposedly did the port work is extremely popular on the east coast....

This has to be mentioned,

A sharp chain, (an efficient sharp chain) can make a stock saw appear to have twice the power as a ported saw that actually has twice the power. It's not cutting the rakers down either. Sure raker depth plays an intrinsic role, but digging chunks is a lot less efficient than plaining out uniform shavings. Wood type is a factor of course. It's a goddamned science.

Last edited: